cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay money grabs through the years...

Just for fun, I've been trying to compile a list of eBay corporate money grabs through the years, and this is what I can remember. Have I left anything out?

1) Eliminate the 75% final value fee discount for bringing a customer to eBay through an affiliate link.

2) Reduce the 1.5% debit card cash back reward to 1%.

3) Kick eBates and their eBay cash back reward to the curb.

4) Reduce the 2% eBay Bucks loyalty reward to 1%.

5) Reduce the 20% TR-Plus seller final value fee discount to 10%.

6) Raise the final value fee to 10% (with discounts in some categories for store subscribers).

7) Charge a 10% final value fee on shipping.

😎 Increase the basic store fee from $15.95 (Annual subscription) to $19.95, and then raise it again to $21.95.

9) Billion dollar stock buyback to boost the stock price so executives can cash in.

PayPal:

1) "Always Free! We make money on the float." Start charging fees.

2) Change the eCheck fee from a flat maximum of $5 to the standard, potentially much higher 2.9% + 30¢.

3) Eliminate discounts, so all sellers pay PayPal a 2.9% fee + 30¢ (3.9% for international), regardless of volume.

4) Keep the 30¢ fee if a refund is issued.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: eBay money grabs through the years...

Nothing* tops 10% fee on shipping.

Now would be a good time to mention that yes, ebay gets a shipping discount from USPS but does not pass it on to sellers.  At least Amazon gave (most of) the UPS discount to sellers shipping to FBA; a 20 lb box would cost around $3-$8 to ship, depending on destination.

*Except the profitable glitches but at least I think a few of them weren't deliberate, just lucky for ebay results of incompetence.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

What year was that? I doubt they'd have that problem these days (overselling the venue)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

That was 2007 in 2000 ebay offered a healthcare package to ebay powder sealers, Click here for further info once you clicked your info was sold for $7.50 refferal fee to some insurance call you at home hacks to sell you a policy....

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

DK another world class move is charging sellers to go to their seminars and the year they oversold the venture no seating left and told folks in walkers and on oxygen they'd have to sit on the floor. Signs of true leadership...

Never let it be said that ebay doesn't do the very least that they can for you .................

I always liked ebays counterfeit warehouse where everything went to be destroyed,but later surface for sale from their valet service.... Nothing but worldclass there....

Yep, we called it the "Best Little Warehouse in Texas".   LOL

Message 20 of 28
latest reply

I'm waiting to see if anyone ever uses this(if they actually roll it out) - and see if any seller gets an offer from one of the 'experts' there to buy their 'counterfeit' item ...............

I was wondering how that program was going.  Owners of the designer goods were to send them to the "authenticator" and then the said authernticator was to use their best judgement as to pricing and place the item for sale on ebay for a fee or something like that.   

Sounds like a valet service as well.  Perhaps it was discontinued prior to including diamond rings and gold items?   If it no longer exists,  maybe somebody was losing out on false SNAD claims.  I'd be interested to know what is going on with that. 

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

Yeah OP you forgot raising the cap on fvf's by $500 an item from a max of $250 to a max of $750. They have made it clear with their fee adjustments over the years that they want cheap items listed here over quality items. They have the lofty goal of being the worlds largest dollar store.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

@whatmodernwas wrote:

Just for fun, I've been trying to compile a list of eBay corporate money grabs through the years, and this is what I can remember. Have I left anything out?

1) Eliminate the 75% final value fee discount for bringing a customer to eBay through an affiliate link.

2) Reduce the 1.5% debit card cash back reward to 1%.

3) Kick eBates and their eBay cash back reward to the curb.

4) Reduce the 2% eBay Bucks loyalty reward to 1%.

5) Reduce the 20% TR-Plus seller final value fee discount to 10%.

6) Raise the final value fee to 10% (with discounts in some categories for store subscribers).

7) Charge a 10% final value fee on shipping.

😎 Increase the basic store fee from $15.95 (Annual subscription) to $19.95, and then raise it again to $21.95.

9) Billion dollar stock buyback to boost the stock price so executives can cash in.

PayPal:

1) "Always Free! We make money on the float." Start charging fees.

2) Change the eCheck fee from a flat maximum of $5 to the standard, potentially much higher 2.9% + 30¢.

3) Eliminate discounts, so all sellers pay PayPal a 2.9% fee + 30¢ (3.9% for international), regardless of volume.

4) Keep the 30¢ fee if a refund is issued.

Mandatory PayPal.

Charging FVF for exchange of contact info.

Global Shipping Program.

This topic is going to get REALLY long...

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Really. The OP should have started a thread about "what has ebay done for sellers over the years".

Everyone would have responded with the same answer - and we all know what that is.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Really. The OP should have started a thread about "what has ebay done for sellers over the years".

Everyone would have responded with the same answer - and we all know what that is.

I played that game a couple of years ago, and that list isn't any longer today.

1.  Stopped charging for Gallery photo.

2.  Installed the "Excluded Country" list.

That's it.  Done.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 25 of 28
latest reply

“Final value fees for sellers who do not meet eBay’s minimum performance standards will increase by 4 percentage points on items sold on or after May 1, 2017."

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

well with sales going the way they are - that's going to leave a whole heck of alot of sellers with increased FVF's isn't it?

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I see a resurgence  for swap meets - garage sales and antique stores

Message 28 of 28
latest reply