cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is not doing enough to stop price gouging during Covid-19

ebay is clearly not doing nearly enough during this global pandemic to prevent unethical sellers to take advantage of buying up essential items like toilet paper and paper towels, etc and selling them at outrageous prices on their platform.  Sure they have a report button but there is no option to clearly report PRICE GOUGING and even if you do manage to find a way to report it as illegal activity or whatever, literally nothing seems to happen.  I've reported the same listing for a $7,000 4-pack of charmin toilet paper multiple times over two days and it's still up.

Allowing this behavior is proof that ebay is complicit in this illegal behavior and should be shut down by our government.  I don't know about you but I've had it with eBay's completely unacceptable behavior when we are all suffering though this terrible crisis.  Enough is enough.

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

Re: eBay is not doing enough to stop price gouging during Covid-19

I agree with you 100%. I'm on disability and 46 years old and I can't get what I need either because all the price gougers are emptying the stores out of toilet paper, paper towels, etc., and it's wrong. Reporting each individual listing is a joke. eBay does nothing because they're making millions of dollars off the listings. All you have to do is a search for what you're looking for and there's millions of price gougers getting away with it because eBay allows it. EBay should at least have an option to report the seller instead of each individual listing like they are doing in order to circumvent the law while they still make money off the price gougers.
Message 121 of 146
latest reply

Sounds like you're either a price gouging yourself or work for eBay. They are in fact doing nearly nothing because their property big time off the price gougers. That's why there's only an option to report each individual listing which there is not enough people on eBay to accomplish, instead of reporting the seller themselves.
Message 122 of 146
latest reply

Gee, maybe because wealthy people dropping $7,000 on toilet paper, paper towels, is like us spending $5 at the Dollar tree. Maybe that's why $1 bottles of Lysol are all over eBay for upwards of $100.
Message 123 of 146
latest reply

Yes they will, the wealthy people. That's why there are stereos for $100 and then the same stereo for $9,000 with multiple sales. Many, many, people with Mommy and Daddy's credit cards that don't even care about prices because they're rich kids.
Message 124 of 146
latest reply

Found another hoarder and price gouger of sanitizer (gee eBay didn’t you ban sanitizer in March 6th?) and sanitizing wipes. Another failure by eBay as I’ve reported this person many times. 

check out justacouple

0244A921-090E-4C91-A0A2-2E1379A7265F.png

just a couple of price gouging eBay sellers that eBay refuses to do anything about. Let’s all report this person and see if we can get eBay to enforce their own rules for once. 

Message 125 of 146
latest reply

eBay just made my local news for price gouging.  I don't understand why eBay is even allowing sellers to sell hand sanitizer or toilet paper during this crisis.  Now they've gotten themselves a bunch of bad publicity and in the public's mind "eBay = price gouging".  And honestly . . . the public is right.

Message 126 of 146
latest reply

The bad publicity is huge for sure.  I, for one, have bought a few things from eBay in the past and even sold some extra bicycle parts and wheels from when I upgraded parts on one of mine.  I can tell you after this, I will never ever consider buying or selling on eBay again.  Ever.  Not that I’ll have much impact as someone who barely used them in the first place but I feel pretty sure a lot of people share my commitment to boycott eBay forever after this.

Message 127 of 146
latest reply

573FD1AD-E80C-4D51-AC7C-8CE04B1C4608.png

Another example of the complete lack of remorse or guilt of a typical enay price gouging hoarder.  You own this eBay. Congrats. 

note I messaged him in a non-illegal listing because at the time I got his others removed but eBay still lets him be active. 

Message 128 of 146
latest reply

Spoiler
And this seller is right back at it again just posting a bunch more illegal price gouging items. Ebay is literally doing nothing to punish this felon. Maybe we as a community can all report this seller until ebay gets off their you know what and enforces their owN rules for once.

IMG_0478.jpeg

Message 129 of 146
latest reply

Says the seller that is currently listing paper towels at price gouging levels. You are the problem and you’re reported and I’ll be following and reporting any illegal item you post here on out.
Message 130 of 146
latest reply

@bermudawrecktangled wrote:

THAT STATEMENT IS COMPLETELY INCORRECT!

If this activity would be STOPPED, COMPLETELY DISALLOWED, there would be no outlet to gouge. The inventory would return to the local communities, and the price gougers, that have been wiping out all inventory for every item being price gouged on ebay would be 'Stuck' with all the inventory they gouged, with no marketplace to move it. Since there would no longer be a price gouging platform to sell the inventories they wipe out, it would remain in the local stores.

All markets are the same. Take away demand, and the price falls [i.e. remove Ebay as an outlet to sell price gouge items] and the price will fall. Attached is DOW Industrial chart showing crash so far. That top point 29,568 has sellers stuck there with NO BUYERS! This is the ultimate goal to put the Price Gougers in! Stuck at the top with a worthless inventory! KEEP UP THE EFFORT, IT IS GETTING TRACTION!

That chart shows lack of confidence and little else. The buyers didn't stop buying because DJIA was price gouging them. Those were panic sales of everybody looking to "get out now" before '08 strikes again - which hasn't quite happened, yet. 

Message 131 of 146
latest reply

A lot of people have way too much time on their hands.
Message 132 of 146
latest reply

@metreve0 wrote:

Wrong. Does ebay collect a fee (read commission) on each sale of each item? Then THEY are part of the transaction. They will have to answer to the Attorney General of California. Get over it. 

eBay collects a listing fee and a final value fee in exchange for showing the item on their site. eBay doesn't actually sell any of these items themselves. All of the items are being sold by individual sellers all over the place. 

Going after eBay for this is like going after the local newspaper for someone listing an overpriced bottle of hand sanitizer in the classified section. 

You're supposed to be over 18 to buy and sell here. Based on some of the comments it seems the posters woefully lack any life experience at all which has me wondering if they're even old enough to be on the site and ought to be reported themselves. 

Message 133 of 146
latest reply

@kattgirrll1814 wrote:

@fourkidzaz wrote:

Some buyers are desperate, you know the medically homebound who could not get thier supplies because of other greedy people,hoarding with intention of gouging. But doubt anyone is really going to pay that amount.

Have you seen the outrageous prices for Lysol disinfectant spray? I can't believe that people are actually paying thousands of dollars for cans of it. 

Nobody is. If the listings aren't completed with a sale, nobody has bought them. 

If they are actually sold listings, its more likely someone like you "bought" the item with absolutely no intent of ever actually paying for it. 

Message 134 of 146
latest reply

@mastersseller17 wrote:
I agree with you 100%. I'm on disability and 46 years old and I can't get what I need either because all the price gougers are emptying the stores out of toilet paper, paper towels, etc., and it's wrong. Reporting each individual listing is a joke. eBay does nothing because they're making millions of dollars off the listings. All you have to do is a search for what you're looking for and there's millions of price gougers getting away with it because eBay allows it. EBay should at least have an option to report the seller instead of each individual listing like they are doing in order to circumvent the law while they still make money off the price gougers.

So, the local stores couldn't possibly be out of stock due to supply chain issues or other people like yourself filling up carts of these goods to store at their house?

Message 135 of 146
latest reply