cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay is not doing enough to stop price gouging during Covid-19

ebay is clearly not doing nearly enough during this global pandemic to prevent unethical sellers to take advantage of buying up essential items like toilet paper and paper towels, etc and selling them at outrageous prices on their platform.  Sure they have a report button but there is no option to clearly report PRICE GOUGING and even if you do manage to find a way to report it as illegal activity or whatever, literally nothing seems to happen.  I've reported the same listing for a $7,000 4-pack of charmin toilet paper multiple times over two days and it's still up.

Allowing this behavior is proof that ebay is complicit in this illegal behavior and should be shut down by our government.  I don't know about you but I've had it with eBay's completely unacceptable behavior when we are all suffering though this terrible crisis.  Enough is enough.

Message 1 of 146
latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

@gussharp68 wrote:

ebay is clearly not doing nearly enough during this global pandemic to prevent unethical sellers to take advantage of buying up essential items like toilet paper and paper towels, etc and selling them at outrageous prices on their platform. 

Exactly what is it you think they are doing? What do you think they're not doing?

Did you know they are taking down listings as quickly as they can--and deleting auctions based on how much time is remaining, so the ones that are ending the soonest are taken down before the ones that still have six days to go?

Did you know they are canceling transactions after the fact, if the listings have violated the pertinent policies? So, if you did manage to purchase one of those items you described, you would find your purchase canceled by eBay.

@gussharp68 wrote:

Sure they have a report button but there is no option to clearly report PRICE GOUGING and even if you do manage to find a way to report it as illegal activity or whatever, literally nothing seems to happen.

Did you know eBay staff has established a reporting protocol for item listing that violate eBay price-gouging policies? Did you know that, if reported correctly, you really don't need to specify "price gouging?" eBay can figure it out with you identifying it as such.

@gussharp68 wrote:

I've reported the same listing for a $7,000 4-pack of charmin toilet paper multiple times over two days and it's still up.

I couldn't find any trace of a $7,000 4-pack of Charmin, either in the live listings or in the completed/sold listings. Do you imagine eBay removed the listing?

@gussharp68 wrote:

Allowing this behavior is proof that ebay is complicit in this illegal behavior and should be shut down by our government.

I think you're just kidding about this part, so I'll just overlook it.

Message 2 of 146
latest reply

I'm trying to figure out why it's eBay's or the seller's fault that someone is stupid enough to voluntarily pay $7,000 for a pack of toilet paper.  

Message 3 of 146
latest reply

Did you know ebay is not reporting the sellers caught price gouging to the respective states attorney’s office in that seller’s state so they can be prosecuted?  Face it, eBay is not doing nearly enough to combat this behavior.  They’re reacting to outrage by people like me who have consistently called them out on it and their response has been lacking in spite of the fact they’re taking some action.  They can be doing a whole H of a lot more than what they are doing.  This has been going on ever since ebay began and I don’t see them changing unless the government steps in and forces them to get deadly serious about this

Message 4 of 146
latest reply

First of all, no one will buy that auction that you've referenced; no need to worry. But, you are correct in that Ebay is doing absolutely nothing. Ebay is only offering lip service, and doing absolutely nothing to stop the activity because is it so lucrative to their bottom line. If they were truly about helping to stop this pandemic, a few simple lines of code is all that is required for each of the most critical necessity items; toilet paper may be marginal. But an item like Isopropyl Alcohol is selling for 10X's what it cost at Walmart. I.e. what still sells - current price $2.50 when in stock at Walmart is fetching $20 - $25 for a 32 oz. bottle. As soon as the inventory is re-stocked, it is wiped out bu the gougers, and listed on Ebay.

Until Ebay is slapped with a Federal Subpoena, to cease and desist, they will allow the price gouging. So, don't waste your time reporting to them. Start a letter writing campaign to congressmen, local representatives, Senators etc. They aren't much better, but if you get the right one looking to make a name for themselves in this time of crisis, something may get done.

Message 5 of 146
latest reply

@gussharp68 wrote:

Did you know ebay is not reporting the sellers caught price gouging to the respective states attorney’s office in that seller’s state so they can be prosecuted?  Face it, eBay is not doing nearly enough to combat this behavior.  They’re reacting to outrage by people like me who have consistently called them out on it and their response has been lacking in spite of the fact they’re taking some action.  They can be doing a whole H of a lot more than what they are doing.  This has been going on ever since ebay began and I don’t see them changing unless the government steps in and forces them to get deadly serious about this

How do you know eBay isn't turning them in? Someone turned the gal in my state in for selling sanitizer for $90 a bottle on here

Message 6 of 146
latest reply

"Price gouging"

Free market and capitalism, but not in a state of emergency.

The cancelling of listings is the present method.

Other than that, what should they do?

Would you like the government to instruct e-commerce to cease all price gouging listings and then instruct the sellers to ship such to designated locations throughout the country, at the sellers cost, and if such sellers fail to comply, then they may face criminal prosecution? 

Message 7 of 146
latest reply

Whoops, cease = seize... Stupid phone
Message 8 of 146
latest reply

KEEP UP THE EFFORT! IT'S STARTING TO GET RESULTS!

Message 9 of 146
latest reply

I've reported the same listing for a $7,000 4-pack of charmin toilet paper multiple times over two days and it's still up.

If the seller listed as an Auction, the price was driven up by mischief makers and vigilantes.

The seller will never see any payment, and will face huge selling fees.

If he listed at $7,000 Fixed Price, it won't sell because people are not stupid.

Report once. Then move on.

In more settled times, eBay does not seem to act on Reports from single members, but will move when multiple members report a problem listings.

Report once. Then move on.

Message 10 of 146
latest reply

@gussharp68 wrote:

Did you know ebay is not reporting the sellers caught price gouging to the respective states attorney’s office in that seller’s state so they can be prosecuted? 

No, and you don't know that either. It doesn't help your cause to post unsubstantiated information. In fact, it's a good way to lose credibility.

Message 11 of 146
latest reply

It's enough to try and get these listings taken down.  But  now we  also have sellers who are putting the word sanitizer in the title of their listing for completely unrelated items to drive traffic to their listing.  Have you seen the ones selling microphones and add a bottle of sanitizer as an enticement?  Definitely search and browse manipulation. Or the one that wrote toilet paper for a ladies watch. 

Message 12 of 146
latest reply

You are already looking at a possible CRIMINAL PROSECUTION! Can't undo a BANK ROBBERY by giving the cash back! Confiscation of remaining price gouged product by local authorities is just an added bonus!

Message 13 of 146
latest reply

EBAY HAS ADDED PRICE GOUGING TAG ~ FOR REPORTING

Message 14 of 146
latest reply

bubby22l
Adventurer

100% agree with you! 

Prime example :  my listings for  3m8210 and 8511 n95  masks were removed by ebay 2 weeks ago.  I was selling a full box of 20 masks for $50.00.  I just looked at a live auction for the exact same item  its over 50 bids and $350.00 current price, still has several hours to go .  talk about gouging ! 

Meanwhile I get messages from folks wanting to buy my 3m masks - but I have to tell them that I cant sell them now..  (i don't think they're gonna find any at a local store either.) sort of wish ebay would rethink this ban. I would imagine if me and others could list our masks at normal retail price  -  that would make these  gougers lower their prices . 

Message 15 of 146
latest reply