cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fraud $4000

We as a seller were just victims of a fraud on eBay on a transaction of $4000. We sold an item to a buyer, after a few days he filled a claim on eBay that the device doesn't turns on. We suggested to call the manufacture for warranty purposes, he denied. We were obligated in this case to accept the return and pay postage. Upon arrival there were only 3 boxes of copy paper. We immediately called eBay, they suggested not to escalate the case because we will immediately will loss it, they asked that somebody at the high value department calls me back. I talked to an agent and he said he will send a request to check this buyer and if they find he was abusing their servers, etc. In the meantime the buyer escalated the case and was closed in his favor. I called again eBay and asked to talk to the same department, Dave called us and asked my name, then the call was disconnected, he didn't call back and there is no way to reach them directly. After a half an hour we got an email from him starting "I am reaching out to you as a follow up to our phone conversation" and that he read the details and that the decision was made and final.

I have made a further research since eBay didn't make it and sent an email to the high value department with new evidences. This buyer was arrested a few times in the past by the police for theft of goods. We also sent to eBay a copy of their USPS label confirming he shipped 16.8 lbs, almost 7 lbs less than the original weight of this device. We didn't receive any reply just a new email they they decision was final.

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: eBay fraud $4000

@a_c_green

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Buyer-purchases-742-AC-Returns-a-box-of-Scrap-metal-Eba...

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 151 of 164
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

@a_c_green

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/Buyer-purchases-742-AC-Returns-a-box-of-Scrap-metal-Eba...

WooHoo! Thanks for finding that. I need to bookmark it.

On the next-to-last page of that 309-posting thread, there's an update from the OP to say that they did, in the end, get their money back from eBay. How much that reflects normal procedure is a matter of debate, of course... 

Message 152 of 164
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

@a_c_green

WooHoo! Thanks for finding that. I need to bookmark it.

On the next-to-last page of that 309-posting thread, there's an update from the OP to say that they did, in the end, get their money back from eBay. How much that reflects normal procedure is a matter of debate, of course... 

He got a "one time courtesy refund" only because his account manager got involved and she knew ebay was going to lose a good, high dollar seller.  Read the weakly chat the week of this post and see where Jeff Terrell claimed the process worked! Because everyone selling on ebay has an account manager who can pull strings.

Message 153 of 164
latest reply

Not a problem. Yes, after that we looked at the buyer's feedback and other details we prefer not to publish here and unfortunately we have had cancelled other expensive orders that looked suspicious, probably the buyer was OK but we prefer to not take chances. This is what eBay did. If you cancel too many orders, you will lose your top rated seller.
Message 154 of 164
latest reply

People, guess what. I have very interesting and sorprising news. We received a letter from this guy, he's in jail and he recognized it was a theft and the real item was not shipped. We contacted eBay again. Their reason for not giving the refund now:

1. We didn't contact eBay between the moment the item was returned to us and the case was escalated which is not true. We have proof we contacted them and we have emails showing that.

2. We didn't have any communication with the buyer. What exactly they were expecting us to tell him? We know if we write him something, we will immediately escalate the case.
Message 155 of 164
latest reply

Wow! 

Very surprising to have heard from the thief. Not so surprising you are still getting the runaround from eBay.   Seriously, how many times are you supposed to get victimized?  Two is too many! 

I hope you eventually get some real resolution, but I suspect when you do, it won't be with the help of eBay. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 156 of 164
latest reply

@glehns wrote:
We contacted eBay again. Their reason for not giving the refund now:

1. We didn't contact eBay between the moment the item was returned to us and the case was escalated which is not true. We have proof we contacted them and we have emails showing that.

Sadly, eBay picked the same reason posters here already detected in post #44:

http://community.ebay.com/t5/7/9/m-p/26560698#M907111

But it sounds like OP waited until the 6th day to spring into inaction.

Message 157 of 164
latest reply

As mentioned a few times, it took as a few days to inspect the return but firstly eBay claimed they don't have enough proof to confirm this was a fraud, they never mentioned there was no communication between us (also to remind, invalid phone number), they just didn't check the information and now we have it written from the buyer so they choose to find other reasons to not issue the refund. Just to add, eBay removed our account manager without any notice, we were trying to contact him as he was our contact but eBay didn't take the time to let us know that.
Message 158 of 164
latest reply

@glehns

If you are not in the midst of, or intend on pursuing legal action against the thief, it might be time to file a complaint against your second victimizer with the BBB in San Jose.  You don't really have anything to lose at this point. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 159 of 164
latest reply

Hmmm... so the guy sent you a letter from jail letting you know he was a theif. Interesting. How did he get your address ?

Message 160 of 164
latest reply

The thief was the buyer.  That's how.

Message 161 of 164
latest reply

Getting our address is not a problem...
Message 162 of 164
latest reply

@llllady
Oh, my, so the thief was the buyer ? Good informative post. Yes, buyers that get sent to jail have a habit of mailing the person they stole from to let them know they did it. OK

Message 163 of 164
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Yes, buyers that get sent to jail have a habit of mailing the person they stole from to let them know they did it. OK

The letters are presented to document remorse for wrongdoing during the parole hearing.

Message 164 of 164
latest reply