cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fraud $4000

We as a seller were just victims of a fraud on eBay on a transaction of $4000. We sold an item to a buyer, after a few days he filled a claim on eBay that the device doesn't turns on. We suggested to call the manufacture for warranty purposes, he denied. We were obligated in this case to accept the return and pay postage. Upon arrival there were only 3 boxes of copy paper. We immediately called eBay, they suggested not to escalate the case because we will immediately will loss it, they asked that somebody at the high value department calls me back. I talked to an agent and he said he will send a request to check this buyer and if they find he was abusing their servers, etc. In the meantime the buyer escalated the case and was closed in his favor. I called again eBay and asked to talk to the same department, Dave called us and asked my name, then the call was disconnected, he didn't call back and there is no way to reach them directly. After a half an hour we got an email from him starting "I am reaching out to you as a follow up to our phone conversation" and that he read the details and that the decision was made and final.

I have made a further research since eBay didn't make it and sent an email to the high value department with new evidences. This buyer was arrested a few times in the past by the police for theft of goods. We also sent to eBay a copy of their USPS label confirming he shipped 16.8 lbs, almost 7 lbs less than the original weight of this device. We didn't receive any reply just a new email they they decision was final.

Message 1 of 164
latest reply
163 REPLIES 163

Re: eBay fraud $4000

eBay didn't check any of the obviuos details, they ignored. New member, invalid phone number, printed weight in the usps label is less than real item weight, buyer arrested in the past for theft, buyer didn't reply our messages. Something else?
Message 31 of 164
latest reply

@glehns you never answered my inquiry.  Did you sign for the delivery of the item back to you?

Message 32 of 164
latest reply

Sorry @baggs-2024 we are trying to get back to everyone that wrote. Yes, it was returned to our warehouse together with other 20 boxes that the USPS driver brought. All confirmation of contents is made after the goods are received into our facility and not as the cartons are signed for. Even if we sign for the delivered packages, it doesn't means we checked what was inside, the same as buyers can claim they received a different item even if they sign for it.
Message 33 of 164
latest reply

I have seen a post in here or on another thread with a reply regarding receiving something different than what was suppose to be returned, I would copy that message and send it through ebay messaging even though Ebay has decided the case already, then I would follow the procedures you need to in order to file a USPS Mail Fraud Case, Police Reports, Etc.........You might not get your item back, but I darn would make sure I did everything possible to get this guy/woman charged, questioned, etc.....

Message 34 of 164
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

@Anonymous

Why would you lock this sellers problem on the selling board? Since this isn't a bidding or buying problem wouldn't it make more sense to lock this thread?

That would have been ideal, however I was mentioned in this thread first and thought it would be more beneficial to continue the conversation where the community team had already engaged.

Message 35 of 164
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

@Anonymous

Why would you lock this sellers problem on the selling board? Since this isn't a bidding or buying problem wouldn't it make more sense to lock this thread?

That would have been ideal, however I was mentioned in this thread first and thought it would be more beneficial to continue the conversation where the community team had already engaged.

Hello, we just received a reply from Trinton. The same reply we received from eBay when the case was closed. No explanation, no help, nobody there looks at the real evidence we sent. This was the final decision made and no further action can be taken on the case.

And this ^^^ was your assistance for this seller?

If you search the archives, you will find a very similar case of a seller shipping a 1000 lb-something and getting a 10 lb item in return.  It was thousands of dollars, also, and an extremely egregious case of fraud.  My memory of numbers/items involved are fuzzy but I do remember the uproar among the community and the fact that the seller finally got a positive resolution only because he was a high level seller with an account rep who had to over and over go to bat for him with ebay.

Someone else with a better memory than mine can point Trinton to the thread and the details.

I realize, @Anonymous, this is a huge organization and rules are rules but another facet that ebay is ignoring in this situation is a seller with a very longstanding and outstanding track record being shafted by a 0 feedback buyer.   He deserves more than bot-generated form letters in response.   Of course, this is a $400 fee for ebay, isn't it ...

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 36 of 164
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sharingtheland wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

@Anonymous

Hello, we just received a reply from Trinton. The same reply we received from eBay when the case was closed. No explanation, no help, nobody there looks at the real evidence we sent. This was the final decision made and no further action can be taken on the case.

If you search the archives, you will find a very similar case of a seller shipping a 1000 lb-something and getting a 10 lb item in return.  It was thousands of dollars, also, and an extremely egregious case of fraud.  My memory of numbers/items involved are fuzzy but I do remember the uproar among the community and the fact that the seller finally got a positive resolution only because he was a high level seller with an account rep who had to over and over go to bat for him with ebay.

Someone else with a better memory than mine can point Trinton to the thread and the details.

I realize, @Anonymous, this is a huge organization and rules are rules but another facet that ebay is ignoring in this situation is a seller with a very longstanding and outstanding track record being shafted by a 0 feedback buyer.   He deserves more than bot-generated form letters in response.   Of course, this is a $400 fee for ebay, isn't it ...

I am not able to discuss the case specific details here, unfortunately. I know this has been a very upsetting transaction for this seller and that when reading this thread it can stir up concern for other seller's as well. I can only confirm that all the details are carefully reviewed in cases like this and appropriate action is taken.

Message 37 of 164
latest reply

Don't want to be rude now but you took the appropriate action to keep scammers doing the same to sellers. The appropriate action because the tracking was showed as delivered and eBay needs to adhere to buyer protection? eBay didn't do anything to check something about the buyer and our evidences, a logic agent would see how obvious it is.
Message 38 of 164
latest reply

@glehns wrote:
Yes, it was returned to our warehouse together with other 20 boxes that the USPS driver brought. All confirmation of contents is made after the goods are received into our facility and not as the cartons are signed for. Even if we sign for the delivered packages, it doesn't means we checked what was inside

Did you get 6 business days to examine the return -- and to stop the refund?

Message 39 of 164
latest reply

In the 6th days we opened the box and saw it was empty, we called eBay, they told us not to escalate the case, they will first look at the buyer profile, history, etc. Then we also sent an urgent email to our account manager, he didn't reply, didn't answer phone calls and the worst is that we realized eBay removed our account manager I think a month before this case and nobody notified us about this so we were busy trying to reach him knowing he was the only one to help. Until even not a reply from him.
Message 40 of 164
latest reply

Thank you!
Message 41 of 164
latest reply

This member is still registered on eBay.
Message 42 of 164
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

@Anonymous

I am not able to discuss the case specific details here, unfortunately. I know this has been a very upsetting transaction for this seller and that when reading this thread it can stir up concern for other seller's as well. I can only confirm that all the details are carefully reviewed in cases like this and appropriate action is taken.

I have to beg to differ. The correct action would have been to notify the buyer no refund was forthcoming and to take the claim up with their credit card. eBay does nothing to thwart scams and IMHO should get out of the protection business. 

You can call me Tony
Message 43 of 164
latest reply

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sharingtheland wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@tripp_the_lab wrote:

@Anonymous

I have to beg to differ. The correct action would have been to notify the buyer no refund was forthcoming and to take the claim up with their credit card. eBay does nothing to thwart scams and IMHO should get out of the protection business. 

During the 6 business days, OP should have asked eBay to put the case "on hold for 5 days to allow time" FOR THE BUYER "to submit additional documentation" to explain the faulty return, e.g.:

https://community.ebay.com/t5/7/9/qaq-p/23411274

But it sounds like OP waited until the 6th day to spring into inaction.

Message 44 of 164
latest reply

That thread, or question, says they gave 5 days for the seller to upload additional documentation. I'm not sure eBay would require a buyer to provide any documentation. 

You can call me Tony
Message 45 of 164
latest reply