cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay cancelled a sale for my safety

In the past week, I have received 2 messages that an order has been cancelled for my safety.

One of those orders was placed and completed a month ago. Buyer paid and received the item early December. Is this order still being cancelled? 

On the second order, I shipped out the item 2 days ago. eBay said to intercept the item so I did. That cost an additional $17 to send it back to me. Am I out the sell and the $17? Why has this been a problem all of a sudden? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay cancelled a sale for my safety

"eBay cancelled a sale for my safety"....usually the buyer is no longer a registered eBayer.

eBay does not take back the funds from you. And once the item is mailed...it is mailed.

Very rarely do you get that do not mail item out before the email from eBay.

Intercepting the package...shipping it back  is out of your pocket. But you do get the item back I would assume. 

I have gotten a lot of these lately. Nothing I can do. Items mailed already. And funds are not returned to buyer or eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sorry, but yes you are out the $17.00.

Ebay asks you to do that so they do not have to lose their money under seller protection.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Was the right decision to intercept the package? Was I doing this more for myself or more for eBay? 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I have had this type of thing happen a few weeks after a sale.  I still have the money for the sale, so it really didn't change things on my end.  Not sure about paying to intercept the package. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

"eBay cancelled a sale for my safety"....usually the buyer is no longer a registered eBayer.

eBay does not take back the funds from you. And once the item is mailed...it is mailed.

Very rarely do you get that do not mail item out before the email from eBay.

Intercepting the package...shipping it back  is out of your pocket. But you do get the item back I would assume. 

I have gotten a lot of these lately. Nothing I can do. Items mailed already. And funds are not returned to buyer or eBay.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@nick65049 

I'm thinking this had to do more about perhaps a stolen or unauthorized credit card payments.  The person that purchased them may have been attempting fraudulent behavior due to what I just posted.  I think I would rather be out the $17 than the price of some of your sports cards you are selling.  Wow! I say bravo eBay...good catch.

Happy Selling and better sales!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@nick65049 

I'm thinking this had to do more about perhaps a stolen or unauthorized credit card payments.

I had something similar happen to a sale of mine a couple of weeks ago. I think what happens is that when something nefarious happens that looks to eBay like a compromised account, they cancel all the current transactions, and send out notifications to the older sales.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Bingo!

If all this is true per post, I think it shows the flaw of eBay not verifying new buyers. My guess is that is what happened. 

This was never an issue when eBay & PayPal worked together. Now it is a free for all with everyone signing up and buying with who knows what as payment form and no verification by eBay prior to being able to purchase.

I do have more questions on the post of: On the second order, I shipped out the item 2 days ago. eBay said to intercept the item so I did. That cost an additional $17 to send it back to me. Am I out the sell and the $17? Why has this been a problem all of a sudden? 

This is a first for me to read any post that eBay instructs a seller to recall shipment.

Maybe we are not getting all the details. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Then you haven't been reading all the details of posts about this.

ebay's standard approach is "don't ship, but if you already have, we suggest you intercept the parcel".

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 9 of 9
latest reply