cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Shipping supplies - no longer a reasonable option

I used to purchase my shipping supplies through eBay Shipping Supplies using my quarterly coupon but it seems the prices have gotten worse and worse to the point that I cannot imagine paying full price for any of these items. They are obviously only marketing to store sellers because the $25 coupon for basic store owners barely makes a dent in the cost of most items  

I just noticed they have a listing for shipping stickers and charging over $40. A total of 144 stickers of varying sizes for $40.  These are 2.5-4” stickers.  Who would pay $40 for mostly useless stickers except the This End Up (which the shipping companies really don’t care about). Most shipping companies prefer no added stickers to packaging and most of these are decorations. 
Aside from the stickers, $32 for a pack or eBay branded tissue paper, some of the boxes are nearly $2, some are more.  
If this coupon was a benefit, we would be getting our moneys worth but it’s a money maker instead. It gets sellers to buy from the ebay store rather than looking elsewhere. eBay already charges exorbitant fees! I just noticed the final value fee for books the other day! It used to be one of the lower percentages back when I sold more books. Now it iw 14.95% of the total, including tax and shipping. Plus the flat feet. 

I started  contemplating leaving eBay 2 years ago, but since I didn’t have time to list all of my inventory anyway, there was no point looking elsewhere to sell.  I am rethinking things as I am sure many are. eBay is more for big sellers, international sellers and the like. It is not so much for the little guy like it used to be many moons ago. 

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: eBay Shipping supplies - no longer a reasonable option

@a-nice-item 

Except for the 2023 Holiday season they did not have any holiday packaging.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 61 of 80
latest reply

It would be one thing if the coupon could also be applied to the sales tax but eBay can't even get that right. Every quarter the prices of their supplies increase make the coupon less and less valuable. Don't ever spend more than the coupon allows. If it's a $50 coupon spend $44 of it and pay the few dollars in tax.

Message 62 of 80
latest reply

@leagueminimum wrote:

It would be one thing if the coupon could also be applied to the sales tax but eBay can't even get that right. Every quarter the prices of their supplies increase make the coupon less and less valuable. Don't ever spend more than the coupon allows. If it's a $50 coupon spend $44 of it and pay the few dollars in tax.

You are blaming Ebay for something the DO NOT control.  That is YOUR state that doesn't allow them to do that.  The state I'm in does the same thing.  Coupons can NOT cover sales tax.

BTW, if you are registered with your state, you can file your Business Sales Tax certificate with Ebay and you won't have to pay sales tax on shipping supplies if your state allows for that.  Mine does.

Message 63 of 80
latest reply

You could always move to a non-sales tax state. 

There are 5.  I never pay sales tax except when I buy and ship to another state that does charge.  

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 64 of 80
latest reply

Unless you have an anchor store or larger, there isn’t anything that you can get for free anymore. Every single item you have to pay for as the $25 coupon for basic stores don’t pay for anything in full.

And only the smallest of boxes or polymailers give you any discount. Everything else you end up paying more than what you’d pay at staples or Walmart, even after using the coupon.

Message 65 of 80
latest reply

You sound like someone that thinks when an item says “free shipping” that it’s actually free.

such selective memory as while you had to pay 35 cents for a photo back in the day, the amount of fees was much lower. 

you don’t get anything for free, you pay for everything. eBay does not give away anything for free anymore.

Message 66 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@legacycoins wrote:

Just go and be poster person why don't ya, so you love big greedy corporations?

Ebay has the right to charge us for services rendered.  They are after all a for profit corporation.  Ebay is not the most expensive site to sell on nor is it the cheapest.  You can find sites that are less money.  You then need to research that site to make sure it gets the traffic you need to get the sales you desire.  Sometimes sellers just have to decide what is more important.  The fees and/or sales.

"Greedy", I always find that an interesting comment by sellers.

Yes, Ebay is a for profit corporation.  The reason they started the company was to make money.  It is what runs the economy of the USA.  We are capitalists here.

And while you seem to view this for Ebay differently than you do for sellers, simply defies logic.

Seller, ALL sellers come here to sell stuff and make money.  That would make all of us "greedy" too.

So what's the point.  Or is it just a double standard?

The problem is the never ending demand for more profits at the expense of its sellers. They can’t grow the user base any more but they need to show profits up, so they take more from us while not providing any improvements to the product. Useful Updates to the site/app takes YEARS, problems don’t get fixed, ideas that are clearly made by people who have never sold on eBay are made. 

Yes, we all want to make money, but there’s a difference between positive growth and taking all the candy from the bowl. 

Message 67 of 80
latest reply

@vintagesun wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@legacycoins wrote:

Just go and be poster person why don't ya, so you love big greedy corporations?

Ebay has the right to charge us for services rendered.  They are after all a for profit corporation.  Ebay is not the most expensive site to sell on nor is it the cheapest.  You can find sites that are less money.  You then need to research that site to make sure it gets the traffic you need to get the sales you desire.  Sometimes sellers just have to decide what is more important.  The fees and/or sales.

"Greedy", I always find that an interesting comment by sellers.

Yes, Ebay is a for profit corporation.  The reason they started the company was to make money.  It is what runs the economy of the USA.  We are capitalists here.

And while you seem to view this for Ebay differently than you do for sellers, simply defies logic.

Seller, ALL sellers come here to sell stuff and make money.  That would make all of us "greedy" too.

So what's the point.  Or is it just a double standard?

The problem is the never ending demand for more profits at the expense of its sellers. They can’t grow the user base any more but they need to show profits up, so they take more from us while not providing any improvements to the product. Useful Updates to the site/app takes YEARS, problems don’t get fixed, ideas that are clearly made by people who have never sold on eBay are made. 

Yes, we all want to make money, but there’s a difference between positive growth and taking all the candy from the bowl. 

@vintagesun 

This is a very old thread and a very old subject.  Nothing has changed.  The coupons offered to store owners are the same value as the day Ebay started offering them.  But the supplies those coupons can purchase have not stayed the same.

This is NOT entirely about making a bigger profit.  I'm unsure as to why, but many seem to be of the opinion that the increases in costs of so many things since about 2021 doesn't affect larger corporations.  That simply is a pie in the sky outlook.  It affects us all.  

So it is highly likely that the costs of producing these shipping supplies has increased over the years, which in turn has caused the price of the items to increase over the years.

While Ebay certainly does make some money off the shipping supplies, they have a third party seller that actually stocks and ships the items.  They get paid too.

In summary yes the coupons need to be of more value as the rising costs of the branded supplies increase.  Many of us have been asking for that for years.  But Ebay clearly doesn't agree.

Message 68 of 80
latest reply

You are not getting anything for FREE.  Others have already explained this.  EBAY shipping supplies are more expensive than any other place, so 25.00 off  is just a ploy to get you to buy something from the ebay shipping supplies. IMHO

Message 69 of 80
latest reply

Just placed an Ebay shipping supplies order. The item was out of stock shortly after the coupons hit, and will probably be out of stock next month. Can't let those coupons go to waste.

Message 70 of 80
latest reply

Think of it as a discount, instead of free, and it feels much better.

Message 71 of 80
latest reply

Perk? We are advertising their 2nd rate company on all our packages, you would think they can manage to do this without trying to profiteer. The coupons are next to worthless at this point for the absolutely horrific quality of the boxes. 

Message 72 of 80
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Boxes are more reasonable at Walmart.

But I'd have to leave my house and get to WalMart which is on an erratic busline, and carry them home on the bus.

Even if DH drove me, I'd have to go into WalMart. I was horrified when my doctor moved her clinic there and opt for telephone consultations as much as possible instead.

Another thing to consider, many states allow sellers to buy shipping supplies tax free.  Unlikely you can get Ebay to do that.  But I really don't know as I've never tried.

On Ebay I just had to file my Resale Certificate the exempts me from sales tax and I can buy all my shipping supplies on Ebay easily and no sales tax is applied.

I know some states likely have different rules.  It may pay sellers to check their state requirements.

Interesting.  In my state, it ONLY applies to inventory, not any other business expenses.  I didn't even realize you could file it with eBay.  Do you remember where you do that? 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 73 of 80
latest reply

@vintagesun wrote:

Unless you have an anchor store or larger, there isn’t anything that you can get for free anymore. Every single item you have to pay for as the $25 coupon for basic stores don’t pay for anything in full.

You don't need an Anchor store.  A Premium store gets you $50/month & there are a number of things you can buy for that.   

I appreciate it, as I would pay for the Premium store anyway, so they are still free supplies to me.  They don't cover all my supplies, but they cover all my poly mailers, which is what I use most often & they are the same quality I used to buy from other sellers.  I've also started getting tissue lately too b/c the Costco tissue that many clothing sellers relied on, has been unavailable since early pandemic (even though it's made in the US) & there's no sign of them reinstating it. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 74 of 80
latest reply

I get my tissue paper from Papermart. Great size  and color options and discounts with the more that you purchase. The quality is so good, I actually had a customer contact me and ask me where I got it from so he could make kites. 

Message 75 of 80
latest reply