cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Protection is an absolute joke.

A buyer buys $1,000 worth of poster (4 Vintage Nike Posters).

He receives them and even sends me an eBay message that he is happy with the posters.

THEN, 2 days later, he files a dispute through his credit card company, claiming items not as described.

I provide all the information eBay asks for, including mentioning his eBay Message that he receive the posters and was happy.

I also call eBay customer support and have them review what I provided. I was told that I definitely documented it well and the case should be found in my favor. Then I was assured that if it isn't I could appeal and get my funds back. (This call may be recorded for training purposes . . . but for some reason eBay has no record of the call. Convenient for eBay.)

Almost 2 months later the credit card company finds in the buyers favor. He gets his money and the posters.

I call eBay . . . their song has change . . . there is nothing they can do about it. They will waive the $20 Dispute Fee charge. The customer support person submits an appeal and in under a 30 seconds was told, NOPE! I asked how do I escalate . . . NOPE! No Can Do!

[You can't submit an appeal online, so there is no actual record of my appeal.]  REALLY!!!!!!

This guy is still on eBay. He lied to his credit card company and made a false claim (Filing a false dispute is a breach of trust between the card issuer and cardholder. It is a crime!).

Almost 24 years one eBay and this is the worst case of eBay hanging my out to dry as a seller. So eBay is willing to protect the seller when it is $100 or less, but $1,000 is when I really need the protection.

eBay Seller Protection is like a Unicorn . . . it doesn't exist!

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Odd that Ebay would tell you they had your back in a cc dispute..they have nothing to do with it. Just more poor advice from an Ebay csr.As far as I know, you cant dispute the cc decision as Ebay has nothing to do with a cc chargeback?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I don't understand why eBay can't demand product be returned if it's IND and then buyer would receive a refund like PayPal did.

eBay says there's nothing they can do which isn't true, I guess they just don't care since the money isn't coming out of their pockets plus they already got their FVF for the sales.

I've had several c/c charge backs, but they were for item not received. I showed shipping info/tracking showing delivered plus signature for the delivery. Haven't lost one yet.........knock on wood!

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The term "eBay Seller Protection" does not exist

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you.

As others have said, on a credit card chargeback, ebay has nothing to do with it.

If the credit card company decides to go through with the chargeback

(legitimate or not),  ebay can't tell the credit card company no.

The credit card company is going to take the funds from ebay

and ebay is going to take the funds from you. 

Be mad at the buyer. Be mad at the credit card company. Don't be mad at ebay.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Did you have a signature on the delivery? If so you should be covered. eBay covers not as decribed chargebacks even when the credit card company rules in buyers favor. Especially when you have messages stating the buyer was satisfied. In this case you gather all your evidence, call back, and POLITELY state your case for appeal. Eventually you should get a customer service rep that will grant your appeal. It make take 4 or 5 calls but I think you'll be ok.  

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

Credit Card companies are complicit in committing fraud against sellers. They are touting their protection policies as if they are the ones furnishing the costs and eating the losses but when in fact these cc “protections” are just these cc pulling funds from the selling venue/store. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Makes me sick what happened to you. I get lectured, laughed at, told than I am unprofessional when I set up at antique shows and tell the customer I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT CARDS!!! It's for this exactly reason. 

Trust me this is not just an eBay issue. The problem with eBay is you really have no choice. I have many items that would really benefit from being listed on eBay but hesitate. No, its not the cost of doing business. I'm not talking about cheap items, I'm talking about the high end items eBay wants sold here.

There are solutions to the problem but not going to exhaust myself talking about them here. And to hear over and over to not list what you cannot afford to lose. What an awful business model or explaination for such behavior.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

eBay has the option of PROTECTING THE SELLER.  Who do you think could absorb $1,000 easier.  eBay or me?

eBay does have that choice and they've decided to not protect the seller.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Credit card chargebacks are hardly ever won unless it is a Item Not Received dispute.

That is probably never going to change without government legislation. 

Same everywhere, eBay,  Amazon,  etc. 

Posting ID
Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Did that . . . 3 calls, half an hour apart and they all ended the same, "I understand how frustrating this can be, but there is nothing eBay can do."

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@imapaqrat wrote:

eBay has the option of PROTECTING THE SELLER.  Who do you think could absorb $1,000 easier.  eBay or me?

eBay does have that choice and they've decided to not protect the seller.

You are correct.  They choose not to.

Again, sorry this happened to you.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

And unfortunately there are so many dishonest people out there the know how to take advantage of the credit card charge back scam.  The guy filed the day after he received the time.  I think he knew the entire time that this was what he was going to do.

eBay doesn't care.  They got their Final Value Fee for the purchase.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

nothing to do with it? Managed payments means eBay has everything to do with it. They should be fighting for their customer which is the seller not CC.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

But eBay is refunding the CC out of the sellers account. Managed payments has everything to do with it. The seller is technically the customer of eBay not the CC company. 

Message 15 of 32
latest reply