cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Seller Gift Card Policy

Q: I've always sold gift cards on eBay mostly Amazon gc's with zero issues. I mailed them via USPS with tracking. The new policy is daunting. There are only three acceptance of gift cards on the eBay gift card policy. Can a seller please tell me in plain language which type of gift cards are allowed to be sold on eBay. Because according to eBay's new policy, it appears ad if you can only sell gc's if the company is in bankruptcy or closing.  eBay also has a "authorized seller" policy. If I am reading this correctly, it identifies a seller who has permission from the gift card company to sell the gift card? Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: eBay Seller Gift Card Policy

@2010jacquelynn 

From the site:

There are restrictions to the sale of gift cards on eBay in order to reduce the risk of fraud and to protect both buyers and sellers.

What is the policy?

• Sellers can list the following types of gift cards:
    • eBay gift cards that are sold by authorized sellers
    • Collectible gift cards with no redemption value, as long as the listing specifies that there's no monetary amount on the card
    • Gift cards for stores or companies going through bankruptcy, or going out of business, if the cards are still accepted as a form of payment. If there's an expiration date, it must be specified in the listing
  • Sellers must meet all these requirements when listing eligible gift cards:
    • The total face value of all their gift card listings at any given time must be $500 or less
    • The gift card must be in hand at the time of the listing, and it must ship within 5 days of the date the card is sold

Note: Approved third-party retailers or service providers can sell electronically-delivered gift cards on eBay, provided they are vetted by eBay.

• The following types of gift cards aren't allowed:
    • Electronically delivered gift cards (from non-approved third party retailers)
    • Prepaid credit cards (or money cards) from American Express, Discover, Mastercard, or Visa
    • Store or merchandise credit in the form of a receipt

Per the above, you can no longer sell Amazon gift cards, unless delivered electronically AND you have been vetted and pre-approved by e-Bay to do so.

Am guessing they had to change the policy on the sale of gift cards overall -likely too much fraud.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@2010jacquelynn 

From the site:

There are restrictions to the sale of gift cards on eBay in order to reduce the risk of fraud and to protect both buyers and sellers.

What is the policy?

• eBay gift cards that are sold by authorized sellers
    • Collectible gift cards with no redemption value, as long as the listing specifies that there's no monetary amount on the card
    • Gift cards for stores or companies going through bankruptcy, or going out of business, if the cards are still accepted as a form of payment. If there's an expiration date, it must be specified in the listing
    • The total face value of all their gift card listings at any given time must be $500 or less
    • The gift card must be in hand at the time of the listing, and it must ship within 5 days of the date the card is sold

Note: Approved third-party retailers or service providers can sell electronically-delivered gift cards on eBay, provided they are vetted by eBay.

• The following types of gift cards aren't allowed:
    • Prepaid credit cards (or money cards) from American Express, Discover, Mastercard, or Visa
    • Store or merchandise credit in the form of a receipt

Per the above, you can no longer sell Amazon gift cards, unless delivered electronically AND you have been vetted and pre-approved by e-Bay to do so.

Am guessing they had to change the policy on the sale of gift cards overall -likely too much fraud.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I must be a bit slow because I can not figure out why anyone would sell Gift Cards - I mean if you are selling a GC that is for iTunes for example and it is for $20 - did it not cost you $20 to buy it?

Am I missing something?

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

You may have been given a gift card you can't or don't want to use (e.g., for a seafood restaurant when you hate fish, or for a chain that has no stores near you).

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, this is the article I read, however there was a portion of the article you posted which I didn't read.

I'm not a third party seller. The rules of my selling gift cards remain the same which were/are "mailed with tracking, no electronic delivery"

The following types of gift cards aren't allowed:

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

They are gifts, I have no use of

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@2010jacquelynn wrote:

Thank you, this is the article I read, however there was a portion of the article you posted which I didn't read.

I'm not a third party seller. The rules of my selling gift cards remain the same which were/are "mailed with tracking, no electronic delivery"

The following types of gift cards aren't allowed:

Did you read @katzrul15 's post? My comments are in red

What is the policy?

• eBay gift cards that are sold by authorized sellers -- You aren't an authorized seller
    • Collectible gift cards with no redemption value, as long as the listing specifies that there's no monetary amount on the card -- Your cards have monetary value, thus not sold as "collectible"
    • Gift cards for stores or companies going through bankruptcy, or going out of business, if the cards are still accepted as a form of payment. If there's an expiration date, it must be specified in the listing -- Your cards aren't for stores going out of business or in bankruptcy
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yes, resolved question.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@2010jacquelynn 

Your Best Buy card you sold has contradictory info. 

Description states that it's an "$85.00 e-Gift Card" 

Yet the description also states, "Shipping includes tracking, packaging, insurance

Item will be shipped within 2 days of payment made, cleared." 

How do you ship and e-gift card with tracking and insurance? 
albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

No, it is posted, written correctly. The electronic codes are printed, shipped priority mail with "how to use" instructions. That is the eBay rule for non-approved third party sellers. I've never had any issues. I am very careful when writing my posting descriptions.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@2010jacquelynn wrote:

They are gifts, I have no use of

Okay, lucky you get so many given to you, wish I had friends like that 😊

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Gift card$58Gift card$58

Message 12 of 12