cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Pitiful When Dealing with Bad Buyers

Today, I dealt with my first true scam buyer. They claimed something untrue about my item and gave me negative feedback before even opening a case and trying to resolve it. I called eBay, and we decided that I give a refund, then eBay would remove the negative feedback. I did that, and to eBay's credit, the negative feedback was removed. Then I did a little more sleuth work and found that this buyer gives almost only negative feedback, and other sellers have reported that the buyer has tried to blackmail them for more free items. 

I called eBay asking how I can get my refunded money back because this was obviously a scammer. They said there's nothing they can do. eBay, get it together. Who are you going to trust, a new buyer with 13 feedback who only gives negative feedback or a seller with 1,300+ feedback and about 5,000 transactions? Use your brains. Also... let us give negative feedback to buyers again.

Screenshot (148)_LI.jpg 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Many people do not leave feedback unless they are unhappy. Giving a refund does not constitute a buyer being happy. You got lucky CS removed the neg as it is the buyer's opinion.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide

It's always best to check out the buyer before phoning CS and deciding how you'd like to handle an issue. 

Personally, I'd have asked the buyer to file a case requesting a return. Then at least they need to go through the process and their complaint will put them on ebay's radar. When seller's refund without a case opened it sidesteps the reports that would be generated on this buyer. If ebay sees too many buyer opened cases, they may take action. It's unfortunate CS had you refund without an opened case. You would have been able to file an appeal had you followed the case opening process, receive the item back with issue, and was forced to issue a refund. 

Be sure to add the buyer to your BBL. Sorry this happened. Glad the neg was removed. 

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I don't think I'm lucky for eBay showing me support, as I've been using this site for many, many years. My track record is spotless. In the response to the feedback above, a seller is outright stating that the buyer is trying to blackmail them for more free stuff. 

In my experience, if I make a mistake, a seller who is acting in good faith will be satisfied with a refund and an apology. But what do I know, I've only had around 4,000 transactions in the last 12 months.

All eBay has to do is investigate the buyer's messages for 5 minutes to see if their account should be suspended.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

It does not matter. When a company allows a buyer to rate their transaction the buyer has a right to give an their  opinion. You not only lucky, but very lucky. If I had to return an item you would get at least a neutral.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

They did open a case. It was about a minute after giving me negative feedback. 

I would say 1/250 buyers open a case for item not received. I've never had a buyer give me negative feedback before today. Typically, reasonable buyers are willing to talk with you before giving any feedback. In fact, they shouldn't be allowed to give feedback while a case is open.

Maybe that's why they give feedback before the case was open, so that it didn't look like blackmail.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

When a buyer does nothing but give negative feedback, they are just trying to get their refund and the item for free. Simple as that, 2 feedback guy.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Who are you going to trust, a new buyer with 13 feedback who only gives negative feedback or a seller with 1,300+ feedback and about 5,000 transactions? ..”

It is not about trust. It is about eBay protecting the buyer’s interest. That is their primary goal. But sometimes that protection is at the  seller’s expense.  

Ebay does not investigate until a seller loses a case and then appeals. And by investigate, i mean they will review your submitted evidence, not do a probe on their own. Buyers do not have to prove themselves, eBay takes them at face value. The buyer can make any claim without supporting evidence. (They can lie and still prevail.) This is deliberate and by design—it is the risk we sellers take when using this platform.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

Who are you going to trust, a new buyer with 13 feedback who only gives negative feedback or a seller with 1,300+ feedback and about 5,000 transactions? ..”

It is not about trust. It is about eBay protecting the buyer’s interest. That is their primary goal. But sometimes that protection is at the  seller’s expense.  

YEP! Seller's EXPENSE are the key words. eBay has been always PRO buyer and Anti Seller:

ZZZZ_115.jpg

😮

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@mtg_dom wrote:

When a buyer does nothing but give negative feedback, they are just trying to get their refund and the item for free. Simple as that, 2 feedback guy.

Nope, your mistaken. Many buyers only give feedback when they are unhappy so you cannot judge a buyer if they give you negative feedback. Buyers do not have to contact you before giving feedback.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

I would've kept the money, and the feedback to go with it.
That's just me.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Why did you think you'd be getting your refunded money back?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Did you not want your item back so you could sell it again?  I don't know how much you refunded, but if it was to save money then I can understand doing so without requiring the return.  I can't understand doing this over a feedback.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I would block this buyer...not worth the headaches. 

Message 14 of 14
latest reply