cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay PUNISHES good sellers

When on the phone with eBay support, they claim they do not PUNISH their sellers.

Why do they have to lie right to my face?

A buyer in Thailand bought an item from me.  Including shipping it was $80+.

After 3 weeks buyer filed a claim because he did not receive it.

Despite my efforts, eBay found in his favor, deducted the money from my account, and gave my account a STRIKE!!!!!!

eBay admits that the USPS does not track packages to Thailand once it leave the US.  They admit that I shipped the same day and did EVERYTHING that eBay expected of me.  He then said "eBay does not punish its sellers."

I told him that was **bleep**.  I said I did everything right, yet you took my money and gave me a strike.  That's what you call 'not punishing?'"

OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!

Stupidest policy in the history or civilized business.

Highest recommendation to EVERY seller on eBay.  BLOCK EVERY COUNTRY THAT DOES NOT HAVE TRACKING BEYOND US BORDERS.  There are a lot of dishonest people out there who will use the lack of tracking to their advantage.

And remember....ebay does not punish its sellers.  They only hurt us financially and destroy out reputations and our ability to maintain Top Rated status so that we cannot take advantage of the TRS discount.  Its called strategy folks.  Welcome to eBay.

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: eBay PUNISHES good sellers

We no longer ship International.  We only ship priority mail. We are Not Responsible for the work of the USPS and will Not guarantee their work. Blue shirts do a lot of talking, but don't say much. ( They should run for public office ) I Understand now this was not a GSP sale, but after having to call overseas to talk to Customer service in London, We decided this program is not for us. Good Luck to you.

Message 16 of 62
latest reply

You must be talking about someone else as I never accused the buyer of that.  My complaint is about eBay putting a strike against me even though I did everything right. 

Message 17 of 62
latest reply

Why do you not know that my point was that eBay gave me a strike on my account even though I did EVERYTHING I was supposed to do?

Refund is fine.  Please read before responding.

And FTC?????  Where do you get that??????  What is your source?????

Message 18 of 62
latest reply

Now if you still want to ship internationally after getting burned by eBay's MBG you have to opt into the Global Shipping Program.

Message 19 of 62
latest reply

I think its best to add a signiture confirmation when you're sending high priced items to another country . I believe this is possible because I have purchased things from other countries before that have required me to sign upon delivery. In this way you have proof the item made it to the buyer and that would give you a better edge with e bay should a complaint arise. Most buyers are honest but once in awhile you will run into one who wants something for free . Example , one time a buyer purchased two necklaces from me in one day ,,but hours apart .I had already packaged up her first order  with a  tracking number ,, not knowing she was going to purchase the second necklace. When she purchased the second one, I simply reopened the package and added it in  . I don't charge shipping fee's on any of my items. However that did leave the second necklace without a tracking number , although I had marked it shipped . At the time I was new at selling and didn't realize I could have added the same first  tracking number when I marked the second necklace  shipped  . Anyway to make a long story even longer ,, a few weeks went by when this buyer contacted me claiming she never got the one necklace [ just so happened to be the one without the tracking ]. She got the one with the tracking , but not the other one  according to her . When I explained I put both necklaces  in the same package ,, she never replied back. 

Message 20 of 62
latest reply

Your Title is wrong. eBay is an equal opportunity punisher. I only sell through GSP, no exceptions. If they want to buy it directly they can move to the US. If they want to save a few bucks they can move to the next guy. Sometimes things get held up in a countries customs for a few weeks. They eventually get it but you will never hear that. Unless of course, you are.........

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 21 of 62
latest reply

A strike against a sellers account is dead wrong IF the seller issued a prompt refund  because the item never made it to the buyer  . IMO,, there isn't anything more the seller could have done  for that incident .E bay should have been a bit more understanding ,, but something tells me , there was a lack of commication somewhere . 

Message 22 of 62
latest reply

@auburnbiking wrote:

Except eBay!  Did not understand until the damage was done that by clicking out of stock was going to destroy all I had worked for for so long.  I was not out of stock just found it the only way to cancel the order.  Every order was re-submitted and shipped.  NO ONE GOT HURT EXCEPT ME!  Took away my TRS status and lost my discount.  Would eBay understand?  NO WAY!  Do they care NO!  They want good dealers but do everything possible to chase away.  People filter to find who to buy from and it has cost me dearly for the past year.  Should have my TRS standing back by the end of the year or until eBay can find a way to take back their discount again.  They don't care or understand it hurts them as much as it hurts it's dealers.  I hope someone with a little common sense from eBay reads this and will begin to take action to correct this stuff.  

It sounds like you are upset that eBay could not read your mind?  You choose OOS for your option and now it is eBay's fault because of your choices.  This is the epitome of entitlements.

When you make a mistake you own up to it and ship the item.  Not every sale is going to create positive revenue and sometimes doing the right things costs revenue,  but it is a lesson earned and learned.  A well informed sellers who wants to succeed would have seeked out and learned the policy before making the move you made.  You could have even called CS and gotten a better direction than the one you choose.

Good Luck!

Message 23 of 62
latest reply

You didnt do everything right..you could have gotten tracking to Thailand...a sense of entitlement doesnt work on ebay.We all have the same rules to follow.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 24 of 62
latest reply

@auburnbiking wrote:

Did not say I was not at fault at all about not understanding the rules.  I accept that part just seems a little common sence goes a long way in any business.  Have you ever been guilty of not understanding every rule in the book.  Live and learn and I have learned.  Too bad eBay can't look at your history and be a little understanding.  

Are you an eBay employee?

Unfortunately buyers blame eBay when sellers do OOS and blast them over and over instead of the seller.  How many times have you heard " I bought it on eBay?" or "some seller on eBay cancelled this item, I am not shopping there any longer".

Being a successful seller on a marketplace like eBay has very tough competition from every level experience you can imaging.  IMO this is what many sellers who are regular complainers here in the forum are experiencing.  You need to

• learn from mistakes,
  • regain your position,
  • keep up with the changes
  • create new marketing ideas and directions for your categories
  • Be a leader of your items sales not an also ran participante

eBay as a marketplace is not designed to gain top profitabilty for your items.  It is designed to create competition worldwiode for the same items and buyers will always have the advantage to shop world wide from this one location.  This is going to be even more refined as the catalog approach eBay is moving to takes hold in the coming months.

If eBay did not have an over abundance of sellers then I think they might look at some things differently but the fact is eBay is growing in

• sellers,
  • buyers, 
  • registered accounts,
  • active listings
  • Total revenue from merchandise
  • number of items sold

Although you might have lost your TRS temporarily, you can re-earn your badge of honor by learning from your past mistakes and creating lots of positive buying expereinces for the buyers you encounter.

Good Luck!

Message 25 of 62
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

A strike against a sellers account is dead wrong IF the seller issued a prompt refund  because the item never made it to the buyer  . IMO,, there isn't anything more the seller could have done  for that incident .E bay should have been a bit more understanding ,, but something tells me , there was a lack of commication somewhere . 

The refund went to the buyer as it should.  The strike is just a mark that ebay can gauge how often this kind of activity happens on a sellers account.  Sellers have an option to use several different delivery sources including GSP which relieve the sellers of overseas shipping issues where the buyer does not get the delivery.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 26 of 62
latest reply

@gozhven wrote:
Highest recommendation to EVERY seller on eBay.  BLOCK EVERY COUNTRY THAT DOES NOT HAVE TRACKING BEYOND US BORDERS. 

You freely chose to ship to a country that does not have tracking.

eBay did not punish you - you chose to punish yourself.

Message 27 of 62
latest reply

@auburnbiking wrote:

Did not say I was not at fault at all about not understanding the rules.  I accept that part just seems a little common sence goes a long way in any business.  Have you ever been guilty of not understanding every rule in the book.  Live and learn and I have learned.  Too bad eBay can't look at your history and be a little understanding.  

Did not say I was not at fault at all about not understanding the rules.

You said this:

I hope someone with a little common sense from eBay reads this and will begin to take action to correct this stuff.  

Common sense is staying current on the rules, which is in your own best interest!  eBay's seller metrics are the easiest they have ever been.  Every single metric is objective and is totally within the seller's control.  If that isn't enough, it's hard to imagine what would be!

When you cancel for OOS, buyers leave eBay permanently (whether buyers were nice about it after you unilaterally cancelled transaction(s)) so you are depriving other sellers of sales they might have otherwise gotten.

There will always be a plethora of sellers on eBay because there is no barrier to entry. Whether they are able to sustain that business depends, to a great extent, on their ability to understand the rules, to keep up with them, and to abide by them.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 28 of 62
latest reply

@*eponymous* wrote:

@auburnbiking wrote:

Did not say I was not at fault at all about not understanding the rules.

You said this:

I hope someone with a little common sense from eBay reads this and will begin to take action to correct this stuff.  

Common sense is staying current on the rules, which is in your own best interest!  eBay's seller metrics are the easiest they have ever been.  Every single metric is objective and is totally within the seller's control.  If that isn't enough, it's hard to imagine what would be!

When you cancel for OOS, buyers leave eBay permanently (whether buyers were nice about it after you unilaterally cancelled transaction(s)) so you are depriving other sellers of sales they might have otherwise gotten.

There will always be a plethora of sellers on eBay because there is no barrier to entry. Whether they are able to sustain that business depends, to a great extent, on their ability to understand the rules, to keep up with them, and to abide by them.

I am quoting this because it is very well written, and did a much better job than I tried to do.

Great post!

Message 29 of 62
latest reply

I never have these problems because I don't ship internationally.

It's the risk you take (knowing that tracking means nothing once it leaves the US).

Can't blame ebay for that.

Message 30 of 62
latest reply