cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Overcharged Tax on Battery Sales

*Moderators - please leave this post in the selling section.  This issue affects sellers as they will pay extra fees and will bear the brunt of any negative feedback or chargebacks from this issue.*

I've seen several reports here in the community and on Twitter of exorbitant tax amounts being charged on batteries. 

Looking at the amounts involved, it appears to me that eBay made an error with an update that presumably was meant to address various state regulations regarding fees for sale/recycling of lead acid batteries for cars, boats, RVs etc. but eBay was applying these fees to all batteries instead.

One example from Twitter was a 10 pack of watch batteries for $3.89 which incurred $5.31 in sales tax.  The buyer was in New York and said tax is usually 8% for his location.  That should have been $0.31.  The extra $5 appears to possibly be a "return incentive payment" per NY regulations for Lead Acid Batteries.  Other states have similar lead acid battery regulations at different amounts.

NYLeadAcidBatt.jpg

Other examples in this thread from @rarehorology showed the fees really added up for multiple quantities! Presumably eBay was applying whatever the applicable state fee was on a per battery basis.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/363-sales-tax/m-p/31449192/highlight/true#M333083 

batttax.jpg

While I'm not sure how many people would have completed checkout on a $50 order with $500 tax, many smaller orders may have slipped through.  The Twitter example I provided was a completed and shipped sale.

Reports are that the calculation error may be fixed now, but there are multiple concerns here.  First, eBay needs to make a public announcement acknowledging the error and immediately refund any excess taxes paid.  Not only is it the right thing to do for buyers, it may head off negative feedback and chargebacks for sellers as well.

Secondly, eBay needs to refund any and all excess fees sellers paid on those incorrect tax amounts.  Sellers using PayPal would have been charged 2.9%.  Managed Payments sellers are on the hook for the full simplified fee on that amount. Regardless of the payment processor used, this is 100% eBay's responsibility to rectify.

eBay also needs to protect sellers from any negative consequences of this error by removing negative feedback and making sure any related claims or defects do not hurt the seller's account in any way.

This issue has been brought to eBay's attention and tyler@ebay says he has passed it on to get more clarity.  While I understand we are in the midst of the holidays, I do hope eBay addresses this issue before end of year.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Squeaky wheel gets the spiders...

Message 31 of 53
latest reply

I just tried to order a set of AG3 button batteries for $2.19 and got taxed $16.58. Tried to ask why with Ebay chat and all they said was if I paid for them, they would refund me the difference. I see that this problem has been going on since 2020. It is now 2022 and I believe they should have fixed the problem by now. For a dollar more I can get the same batteries from Walmart. Sorry Ebay, you just lost my business. Did I mention they thanked me for being a member for 20years?

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

I have heard from one affected buyer that they received an email confirming a refund for the overcharge today.

tyler@ebay  please confirm if eBay is proactively reaching out to all affected buyers and confirm if affected sellers are also receiving refunds for the additional fees.

Hi @valueaddedresource - I'm not able to confirm this. The last interaction with the tax team I had (last week) was that anyone who felt that they were charged tax incorrectly should contact Customer Service and request that a ticket be filed with them (the tax team). 

I have been working with them since to help them understand (again) the nature of what we saw happen, that it appeared to be systemic in nature and less of an isolated incident, and what kind of resolution the community expects in this situation. They have not responded. 

tyler@ebay  - this systemic issue seems to be either still here or rearing its head again.

I just tested - alkaline button batteries in the Consumer Electronics>Multipurpose Batteries & Power>Single Use Batteries category showing over $6.00 in tax with a shipping address in New York.

2022-02-05_12-28-40.jpg

Again it would appear that eBay is adding in state recycling fees for lead acid car batteries ($5.00 in NY) to any item listed in a battery category.

When this issue was previously discussed, eBay's answer was buyers who believe they had been overcharged sales tax could call customer support for assistance, however there was never a satisfactory answer provided about *sellers* being overcharged for fees because the incorrect higher tax amount would be used for the calculation.

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

@1houdini wrote:

I just tried to order a set of AG3 button batteries for $2.19 and got taxed $16.58. Tried to ask why with Ebay chat and all they said was if I paid for them, they would refund me the difference. I see that this problem has been going on since 2020. It is now 2022 and I believe they should have fixed the problem by now. For a dollar more I can get the same batteries from Walmart. Sorry Ebay, you just lost my business. Did I mention they thanked me for being a member for 20years?

@1houdini  if you don't mind sharing, what state are you in and what would be the normal sales tax % you'd expect to be charged (excluding any additional fees)?

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

@bajasam wrote:

2/3/2022

when intending to buy a lap top battery on ebay i realized i was being charged 23.9% tax. my state tax in ct is 6.35%. i will not make this purchase and now i will check the tax on any purchase i make in the future.

@bajasam - how much was the laptop battery and what was the total with shipping and total tax amount? It looks like CT may also have a $5 core charge/recycling fee for lead acid batteries, which I suspect is what is being applied to other kinds of batteries in error.

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

I am in Arizona and our sales tax is 8%. 

Here is Ebay's  response to my tax problem.

Our team has been made aware of this issue and we are currently working on a fix. In the meantime, we will need to manually refund the overcharged sales tax once you purchases the item.

Here is my checkout.

1houdini_0-1644084986722.jpeg

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

@1houdini wrote:

I am in Arizona and our sales tax is 8%. 

Here is Ebay's  response to my tax problem.

Our team has been made aware of this issue and we are currently working on a fix. In the meantime, we will need to manually refund the overcharged sales tax once you purchases the item.

Here is my checkout.

1houdini_0-1644084986722.jpeg

Thanks @1houdini ! From what I'm seeing online it sounds like AZ has a battery core charge of "not more than $15" for lead acid batteries but unfortunately that doesn't give us a specific amount to try to work the math backwards from.

To make things even more confusing, it appears to me that eBay is adding the item price plus the battery fee then applying the regular sales tax amount to that total, but then including the battery fee with the tax amount as far as how it is displayed in check out.

It's hard to tell for sure because they don't break it out separately, but just for example in the test from my screen shot, for that address in NY, the sales tax rate should have been 8.8%.

$6.99 + $5 (battery fee) = $11.99 x 8.8% = $1.06 sales tax.  $6.99 + $5.00 + $1.06 = $13.05

So not only is there this extra fee that shouldn't be there, it seems buyers are paying tax on that fee as well even though the fee itself is being shown as included with tax.

I'm glad support at least confirmed you can get a manual refund for the overcharge after checkout, but buyers really shouldn't have to overpay and then jump through hoops to get back the difference. 

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

I'm glad support at least confirmed you can get a manual refund for the overcharge after checkout, but buyers really shouldn't have to overpay and then jump through hoops to get back the difference. 

@valueaddedresource 

First, I would not be inclined to believe what the CS agent said about getting a refund.  Second, what about the seller?  Are they going to have to ASK for a refund as well?  

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

First, I would not be inclined to believe what the CS agent said about getting a refund.  Second, what about the seller?  Are they going to have to ASK for a refund as well?  

@ittybitnot  I absolute agree!

Back when this issue first came up, I did have several affected buyers who completed a purchase confirm to me that they were able to get refunded after calling CS, but as we all know experiences can differ greatly depending on the luck of the draw of what agent you get so who knows what may happen.

As far as sellers, I pushed for answers on that as well and never got a straight answer unfortunately but hopefully Tyler can get further with it this time.

Absolutely eBay *should* proactively address the situation on both the seller and buyer side for all impacted users, not just individual "squeaky wheel" situations.

Beyond that, they need to actually fix the system so it applies the fees accurately only to items that should qualify *and* clearly and transparently show that fee broken out with an explanation of what it is for in the checkout process.

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

what i now realize ebay is charging a $5.00 core charge for all batteries not just lead acid batteries. it appears ebay is gaining a lot of revenue by charging this fee on computer and other non lead acid which they should not be charging.

Message 40 of 53
latest reply

Just checked and the AZ sales tax is 5.6% . Also found this:

" The battery sales fee is not due on the sale of common household batteries, such as sizes AA, C and D, because they are not lead-acid batteries." I think button batteries would be a non-acid battery. Since the AG prefix stands for the alkaline chemistry of the battery, not lead acid.

This is just my opinion; The AZ Attorney General might consider this tax fraudulent and Ebay is not complying with the tax laws. 

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

@1houdini wrote:

Just checked and the AZ sales tax is 5.6% . Also found this:

" The battery sales fee is not due on the sale of common household batteries, such as sizes AA, C and D, because they are not lead-acid batteries." I think button batteries would be a non-acid battery. Since the AG prefix stands for the alkaline chemistry of the battery, not lead acid.

This is just my opinion; The AZ Attorney General might consider this tax fraudulent and Ebay is not complying with the tax laws. 

Thanks @1houdini  - that is exactly what my conclusion was in December 2020, the fees should only be applied to lead acid batteries (just like the core fee you pay and can get refunded when purchasing a car battery from your local Walmart or auto parts store) but instead eBay was applying it to everything listed in any battery  categories.

Back then I even saw one example where a seller had mis-categorized a plastic battery box by putting it in the single use battery category and that had the extra fee applied too even though it wasn't actually a battery of any kind.

I agree that state attorney generals and tax authorities should be looking into this situation.

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess I will just check again with Ebay and see if they can resolve this issue with the tax. Until then I will purchase my battery from the local retail store.

Have a great day.

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

@ittybitnot  - a buyer who reported being overcharged for tax on a watch battery today confirmed it took 2 chats and support said it will take 3 days to process, but he will receive a refund of the difference.....we'll see how that works out. 🤞

Message 44 of 53
latest reply