cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay Overcharged Tax on Battery Sales

*Moderators - please leave this post in the selling section.  This issue affects sellers as they will pay extra fees and will bear the brunt of any negative feedback or chargebacks from this issue.*

I've seen several reports here in the community and on Twitter of exorbitant tax amounts being charged on batteries. 

Looking at the amounts involved, it appears to me that eBay made an error with an update that presumably was meant to address various state regulations regarding fees for sale/recycling of lead acid batteries for cars, boats, RVs etc. but eBay was applying these fees to all batteries instead.

One example from Twitter was a 10 pack of watch batteries for $3.89 which incurred $5.31 in sales tax.  The buyer was in New York and said tax is usually 8% for his location.  That should have been $0.31.  The extra $5 appears to possibly be a "return incentive payment" per NY regulations for Lead Acid Batteries.  Other states have similar lead acid battery regulations at different amounts.

NYLeadAcidBatt.jpg

Other examples in this thread from @rarehorology showed the fees really added up for multiple quantities! Presumably eBay was applying whatever the applicable state fee was on a per battery basis.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Buying/363-sales-tax/m-p/31449192/highlight/true#M333083 

batttax.jpg

While I'm not sure how many people would have completed checkout on a $50 order with $500 tax, many smaller orders may have slipped through.  The Twitter example I provided was a completed and shipped sale.

Reports are that the calculation error may be fixed now, but there are multiple concerns here.  First, eBay needs to make a public announcement acknowledging the error and immediately refund any excess taxes paid.  Not only is it the right thing to do for buyers, it may head off negative feedback and chargebacks for sellers as well.

Secondly, eBay needs to refund any and all excess fees sellers paid on those incorrect tax amounts.  Sellers using PayPal would have been charged 2.9%.  Managed Payments sellers are on the hook for the full simplified fee on that amount. Regardless of the payment processor used, this is 100% eBay's responsibility to rectify.

eBay also needs to protect sellers from any negative consequences of this error by removing negative feedback and making sure any related claims or defects do not hurt the seller's account in any way.

This issue has been brought to eBay's attention and tyler@ebay says he has passed it on to get more clarity.  While I understand we are in the midst of the holidays, I do hope eBay addresses this issue before end of year.

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: eBay Overcharged Tax on Battery Sales

Thanks @valueaddedresource  and @wastingtime101 - I appreciate the examples and offers of additional ones (if found). 

I do not have further updates at this time, but will let you know once I do. 

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 16 of 53
latest reply

Thank you tyler@ebay 

Message 17 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay  - it has now been 17 days since you were first notified of this issue and provided more than information and documentation for the tech and tax teams to look into.

What have those teams discovered? What are the next steps for buyers and sellers affected by this issue?

Message 18 of 53
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

tyler@ebay  - it has now been 17 days since you were first notified of this issue and provided more than information and documentation for the tech and tax teams to look into.

What have those teams discovered? What are the next steps for buyers and sellers affected by this issue?

tyler@ebay  - we are now at exactly 3 weeks.

How much longer is it going to take for the tech and tax teams to confirm what happened and for eBay to take responsibility for addressing the issues mentioned in this thread?

Message 19 of 53
latest reply

Hi @valueaddedresource - you're correct, but I don't have any updates to provide. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 20 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay wrote:

Hi @valueaddedresource - you're correct, but I don't have any updates to provide. 

tyler@ebay please escalate this to Marie Oh Huber and Molly Finn.  There are legal, ethical, and compliance issues here that they need to address ASAP.

I'm sure the FTC and various state departments of revenue and Attorney General's offices can provided any clarity needed on eBay's obligations and responsibilities in this matter.

Message 21 of 53
latest reply

I have heard from one affected buyer that they received an email confirming a refund for the overcharge today.

tyler@ebay  please confirm if eBay is proactively reaching out to all affected buyers and confirm if affected sellers are also receiving refunds for the additional fees.

Message 22 of 53
latest reply

I have heard from one affected buyer that they received an email confirming a refund for the overcharge today.

tyler@ebay  please confirm if eBay is proactively reaching out to all affected buyers and confirm if affected sellers are also receiving refunds for the additional fees.

Hi @valueaddedresource - I'm not able to confirm this. The last interaction with the tax team I had (last week) was that anyone who felt that they were charged tax incorrectly should contact Customer Service and request that a ticket be filed with them (the tax team). 

I have been working with them since to help them understand (again) the nature of what we saw happen, that it appeared to be systemic in nature and less of an isolated incident, and what kind of resolution the community expects in this situation. They have not responded. 

Tyler,
eBay
Message 23 of 53
latest reply

Thank you tyler@ebay . What is the appropriate chain of escalation when a particular team still doesn't seem to understand the issue after almost a month? Who is accountable when the tax team is not responsive? Has the lack of response from this team been reported to VP of Tax Carol Tabrizi?

@Anonymous  - please reach out to Carol, as well as Bradford Shellhammer in Buyer Experience, Chief Technology Officer Mazen Rawashdeh, Marie Oh Huber for legal and Molly Finn for ethics & compliance.

As Tyler said, this appears to be systemic, so a systemic approach to resolving the issue would also seem to be appropriate. Between you all, you should be able to confirm which categories there may have been changes made in regard to state fees & taxes for batteries, look at sales records for those categories during the affected timeframe to identify all transactions which had additional taxes/fees added in error , and find a resolution to proactively address the issues raised here for all affected buyers *and* sellers to fulfill eBay's legal and ethical obligations.

Message 24 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay  just to follow up on your response from the chat  today - I sincerely appreciate your willingness to keep knocking on the tax team's door.  👍

However, if they aren't answering when you knock, it's time to start knocking on some different doors, preferably higher up ones. 😉

Who does that team answer to? How many layers of management are between them and VP of Tax Carol Tabrizi? How many of those people are aware of this issue and aware of that team's lack of response to you....and what are they doing about it?

If it's already gone all the way up to Carol and you still aren't getting anywhere, where is Jamie Iannone?! 

Message 25 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay  we are fast approaching the 60 day mark on this.

I was hopeful two weeks ago when you said you were making progress, but then in last week's chat we are back to "we don't have any updates."

There can be some serious legal implications for companies that profit from overcharging sales tax (even unintentionally) and you yourself have acknowledged the apparent "systemic nature" of the problem.

https://taxops.com/wayfairs-unintended-consequence-overcharging-at-checkout/ 

What does Marie Oh Huber, SVP of Legal Affairs and Lead Council have to say about this?

Message 26 of 53
latest reply

tyler@ebay  in the chat today you said

Hi @acc756 - I'm really sorry, but I don't have an update on this. 

As to what Marie Oh Huber or other executive would have to say on the matter, I'm not certain. That would be something you'd need to ask them directly about. Thanks! 

I'd be more than happy to speak with Marie Oh Huber or any other executive about this issue.  Give me a phone number or an email address and I'll help knock on those doors. 😊

Message 27 of 53
latest reply

I'd be more than happy to speak with Marie Oh Huber or any other executive about this issue.  Give me a phone number or an email address and I'll help knock on those doors. 😊

I think at this point you'd be better off contacting her through her professional contacts. She's on LinkedIn, for example. You've done your due diligence by trying to climb the eBay contact ladder via lower-level people, but when that's not working, you do have other options.

I'm not suggesting being a stalker, but a courteous email that lays out the issues and why eBay should be concerned might get a response. I haven't seen any clear indication that anyone at the executive level is even aware of the problem, so a bit of background should be included, as well as a short list of who you have already contacted, whether any of them have responded, and what they said. Good luck and keep us informed!

Message 28 of 53
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

I think at this point you'd be better off contacting her through her professional contacts. She's on LinkedIn, for example. You've done your due diligence by trying to climb the eBay contact ladder via lower-level people, but when that's not working, you do have other options.

I'm not suggesting being a stalker, but a courteous email that lays out the issues and why eBay should be concerned might get a response. I haven't seen any clear indication that anyone at the executive level is even aware of the problem, so a bit of background should be included, as well as a short list of who you have already contacted, whether any of them have responded, and what they said. Good luck and keep us informed!

Thanks for the support @a_c_green !

There are a few executives I've been in regular contact with about other issues and I have let them know about this as well.  I've chatted with Molly Finn, eBay's Chief Compliance Officer, on Twitter about it as well and got a promise to look into it, but nothing since then.  Your LinkedIn suggestion is a great idea too...thanks!

Message 29 of 53
latest reply

2/3/2022

when intending to buy a lap top battery on ebay i realized i was being charged 23.9% tax. my state tax in ct is 6.35%. i will not make this purchase and now i will check the tax on any purchase i make in the future.

Message 30 of 53
latest reply