cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you need your own reality show?

Has anyone, including yourself, told you  that you have a hoarding problem JUST because you keep buying inventory despite having more than you'll list in a hundred years? 😂

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Does my husband count?  It's been a struggle.  6 years ago, I moved from a home with 2000sq feet of unfinished basement, to a home with almost all the square footage finished.   Boy do I miss that unfinished basement!   This is my biggest challenge.  As a clothing seller, I need to have a lot of listings, but I just don't have the storage space anymore & though I got a small storage unit, I filled that up quite quickly.   It really holds me back. 

I also don't do bins, I like to keep items hanging to reduce wrinkles, so that takes more space.   I do have to buy the inventory when there's a good 'score' to be found, so there's a lot of storage needed.   That said, the backlog really helped during COVID & my broken ankle, when I was unable to get out to source.  It's a constant challenge! 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

that's a great approach. I've been....well, never mind...not that exactly...😳

Message 17 of 58
latest reply

Yes, anyone that has enough stuff that can take a hundred years to sell is absolutely considered a hoarder. You should not be worrying about the number of items, but items that have a demand that can be moved quickly. Maybe time for a dumpster.

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you 

My husbands family were in the unclaimed freight, overstock and salvage business for many years.  The minute I clear everything out, here comes more carp.  Plus we have a storage area and a storage shed in the back yard.  Anymore basura comes into my home will result in him living out there with the groundhogs!! 

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

The amount of stuff I have is directly related to the amount of storage space I have, which is not much.  I was never so relieved when I went from having to have 600 items running (full-time income) to only about 150-170 listed (part-time, supplementary income).  I turn over quickly because I don't like a lot of stuff hanging around if it just won't sell.

I also do the thing where if I purchase a lot for resale, I relax after I've recouped the lot price.  Also, if something hasn't sold in two seasonal go-rounds, out it goes unless it's one of those really long tail items - I don't keep stuff moldering for years, that doesn't really work for fashion.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 20 of 58
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I also do the thing where if I purchase a lot for resale, I relax after I've recouped the lot price. 

Same here.

I sell music memorabilia, which is something I collect and enjoy.

So I sell the flotsam and jetsam from a bulk lot first to recoup the cost. Then I list the best bits at top dollar, and if they sell that's great. But if they don't sell then I am fine with that too.

Message 21 of 58
latest reply

A while ago I did some tough love on the unit. I donated a lot, didn't chuck it. A friend who saw the unit before and after commented on how much better it looks. I have a non-ebay outlet for a lot of it but the deal is slow due to the buyer's schedule. If I can get that stuff gone I will want to move in the direction of a smaller unit at a better facility. 

Meanwhile hubby wants my daughter's room back for a guest room and that's going to really be hard. I have too much inventory that requires sitting down with a box and seeing what can be listed singly, what to be lotted up.  When I achieve that it feels good!

Message 22 of 58
latest reply

My hoarding problem moved out about 6 years ago. Unfortunately, a lot of the hoard didn't go with.

Message 23 of 58
latest reply

I not only sell on eBay, I sell at antique shows.  Outgrew my office and  garage.  We bought a warehouse last year--56x32 pole barn on a piece of property!  Yep, it's full!   My family thinks we are nuts, but they are great side hustles.  When hubby lost his job during COVID, our side hustles kept food on the table.  I don't care what anyone else thinks.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 24 of 58
latest reply

I have a friend with multiple selling outlets, too. He recently moved far enough away that he cleaned out his warehouse. I visited a few times, talk about hoarding. : - 0  He's settled in a new area and already has multiple units, some for inventory, one to work from. He plans to come back here regularly because we have more stuff in this area than the rural and remote county he now resides in. And another friend had driven many times from her new home in Savannah to here in Northern  VA to get books! Makes me glad I live here and can drag the stuff home in my car and not have to travel for hours.

Message 25 of 58
latest reply

Lol!!

Message 26 of 58
latest reply

Anyone wanna share some "hoarder" ebay pictures?   That would be interesting.    😉

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 27 of 58
latest reply

@inhawaii 

I'd be embarrassed....lol   

Message 28 of 58
latest reply

Over 5 years ago when I went into eBay fulltime, I had 3 sons help me clean out some decent out buildings and install free shelving.  We took everything that I did not want to sell on eBay to my youngest son's house for a garage sale to benefit him. Took us two weekends to do the clean out. He made about 1500 or so. 

Since then, I have only collected a few boxes of items that are not actually listed on eBay.  Stuff under $30, I pretty much quit listing. Saving those for my granddaughter to list as she has done some eBay with me. 

I have made a commitment to scrap/recycle everything that I would not even want my granddaughter bothering to list.  If I am not ready to list it now, I scrap it or burn it. Gone.  Nothing big stays unlisted. Or I give it to this lady that makes some money off it at the flea market.  I give her all the aluminum, tin, steel as well for free. (Keeps me from getting flat tires driving into the scrap yard).

I have 1200 items listed and inventoried. Trying to make this joint into a junk free zone. Willed all the eBay stuff to my youngest who understands the business.  Inheriting that ain't gonna be a blessing I don't think, but he ought to be able to find everything with the inventory system,  lol.

So no, I don't hoard crap. I list it or it is gone.

Posting ID
Message 29 of 58
latest reply

Finally a fun topic. Lighten up Francis.

Hoarders

We put the mental in sentimental.

Message 30 of 58
latest reply