cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can sellers do chargebacks on unfair INR payouts???

i'll lead off by saying that i have not had one of these yet, but after reading so many posts from sellers who have been hit with INR payments to buyers due to the shipping issues that are affecting numerous (not all) parts of the country, only to see the packages delivered and buyers getting to keep the item and their money, i started wondering if doing a funding source chargeback is an option for those sellers. i'm sure there are numerous reasons why this won't work or isn't a good idea--and i'm sure ebay wouldn't be thrilled. really, i'm just curious to hear others' thoughts on this, so please do share...and be nice, please.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

You can't do it against the buyer, only against Ebay.  Doing that would end your business here and you would probably end up in collections.  So you would lose your Ebay business and bash your credit rating.  

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

...and be nice, please.

That lets me out--and I had such a witty and brilliant answer, too!  😂

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

ah, i didn't know that--and that's definitely big. but just so i understand the process, a INR payback is paid to eBay and not directly to the buyer?--and then ebay distributes the money?

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

oh, go ahead and share--i'm feeling pretty emotionally stable so far...lol

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

. . . a INR payback is paid to eBay and not directly to the buyer?--and then ebay distributes the money?

Yes, sort of. A refund runs through Managed Payments or PayPal, whichever entity is the designated payment processor--just like buyers' initial payments to sellers run through the payment processor.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

@pburn wrote:

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

. . . a INR payback is paid to eBay and not directly to the buyer?--and then ebay distributes the money?

Yes, sort of. A refund runs through Managed Payments or PayPal, whichever entity is the designated payment processor--just like buyers' initial payments to sellers run through the payment processor.

ok, that makes sense...but when a buyer does a chargeback against a seller (never had one of those either), it doesn't come out of PayPal's or eBay's pocket, right? i guess i'm just being a bit slow here today (everyday?) and not seeing how the two are different.  

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

@pburn wrote:

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

ok, that makes sense...but when a buyer does a chargeback against a seller (never had one of those either), it doesn't come out of PayPal's or eBay's pocket, right? i guess i'm just being a bit slow here today (everyday?) and not seeing how the two are different.  

Sometimes "seller protection" covers it with PP, and now sometimes with eBay MP.

Sometimes it is from the "sellers pocket", along with an extra $20 fee.

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

If I understand you correctly...you are want to call your local bank and tell them you "did not authorize EBAY to take your money and give refund the customer for late delivery".    

I never thought of that...very interesting question.   There is one problem though...if you read the "fine print" of Ebay's MANAGED PAYMENTS agreement you will see that you "authorized EBAY to act of your behalf".  

Your bank MAY allow the chargeback....but I am sure that EBAY kick you off the site.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

i would guess you are right about getting booted--but just to clarify, i am just wondering why others haven't tried this (I've been lucky so far and have had a really smooth experience selling here this year, with only a couple of minor hiccups...but i do have to admit that some of the stories revolving around shipping issues lately are a bit scary)...thanks!!!

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

i would guess you are right about getting booted--but just to clarify, i am just wondering why others haven't tried this (I've been lucky so far and have had a really smooth experience selling here this year, with only a couple of minor hiccups...but i do have to admit that some of the stories revolving around shipping issues lately are a bit scary)...thanks!!!

Why?   I think maybe as suggested, that somewhere in the "fine print" we would find that we agreed with what eBay does.  Arbitration would be an avenue.

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

yeah, i would assume there's either direct or blanket coverage language to cover this sort of thing--eBay is obviously a bit more experienced at this than i am...lol

not sure about the "why?" question, though

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@jack_bucks_ghost wrote:

yeah, i would assume there's either direct or blanket coverage language to cover this sort of thing--eBay is obviously a bit more experienced at this than i am...lol

not sure about the "why?" question, though

If you are referring to my Why?  that was a response to your    "i am just wondering why others haven't tried this"   in message 10.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 

yes, thank you...i guess the surge in posts about this happening to sellers got me thinking about how sellers can or can't protect themselves against this sort of thing...from a practical perspective, while i've been lucky so far, I'm sure my time will come and I want to be prepared with viable options or at least an understanding of  how the whole INR process works. obviously, this isn't a viable option--but i do feel for the sellers who are losing money to circumstances beyond their control (i don't think the current shipping problem is anyone's fault--just a perfect storm of conditions, but it does seem like sellers are bearing the brunt of it with INR cases that are simply long delayed deliveries).  i guess like all sellers, i have to keep deciding whether or not the risks continue to be worth the rewards. again, thanks

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Just pull the funds from self insurance. That's what it's for.

Please tell me you self-insure...all sellers no matter how big or how small should do so.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 34
latest reply