cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buyer requested a return on a shirt. need help with some things.

hello all, have been selling on ebay for years with no problems at all. yesterday, i had my first ever return request from a buyer who was a bit tricky to deal with. i was going to decline, but caved and accepted as i’m too busy with life right now to worry with the hassle. the buyer actually shipped the item back to me on a saturday (very surprising) and it is showing as “in transit” back to me. i have paid for a shipping label for the buyer as well, but i don’t see any charges for that yet which is weird to me ? i genuinely want this case to be over with. i checked the returned item status and ebay says “you can refund the buyer now, or wait until it is delivered”. i know the buyer wouldn’t do anything dumb, so i was thinking about refunding them now. also, when will i be charged for a shipping label that i had created for the buyer ? just want this to be over ASAP and move along with selling. any advice ? 

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Return labels are only charged if used.

If the buyer paid for their own label you won't ever be charged.

I personally would refund once in transit for low dollar stuff.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

thank you very much. so if he used my label, would i have already been charged ? i definitely sent him one. we were going at it at each other so i doubt he would’ve paid for one when he already had one i paid for lol. it was about a $200 sale. but like i said, he was VERY keen on getting his money back and he sent pics of the shirt i sold so i know he has it. if he were to ship something completely different i would find that odd. if he did and i refunded while in transit, would i be out of luck basically ? 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

You might want to wait if you are a TRS. If the shirt is in different condition you can deduct up to 50% of the refund.

Return labels can be slow to show up, hard to say when it will exactly deduct from account.

If you voluntarily refund, you will have no options.

If he sent you a bag of rocks, you will most likely have to refund anyways.

But like I said if you are a TRS you could save yourself 50%, but can only do that once delivered to inspect condition.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

unfortunately i am not a top rated seller. i was just confused because ebay was making it seem like if i refund while the item is in transit, i wouldn’t have to worry and then the buyer is happy because they get their money back sooner yada yada. hopefully the return label shows up soon if he used it. hate when my balance is in the negative. it would only be around $8 i believe that i got charged, but still. not even too sure how to top off a negative balance as i’ve never dealt with this. been selling since 2017. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

It basically doesn't make much difference in my opinion.

Ebay will force you to refund regardless, and if you refuse to, eBay will do it for you and that will also cause a defect to your seller metrics.

If they send something back that is different, make sure you report them.

https://spd.ebay.com/RBASellerHub

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

alright thanks brother. might as well just go ahead and do it now then. don’t want to worry about it. thanks for sharing that link, if i do get something else i will be sure to take it up with ebay. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I wouldn't refund until I got the item back.........can't imagine that anyone would expect you to.....  I agree there's probably not going to be anything wrong with the return, but it's just standard procedure.   I don't know whether it's possible on a return, but he might be able to put an intercept on it.....

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

If I were waiting on $200 item to be returned  I would not refund until I received the package.  If you refund prematurely  and there is an issue, you have no recourse with eBay.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

@1ikillforclothes 

What a cool shop! Impressive.  The only other advice I would offer is to start accepting returns.  In eBay land no returns does not mean no refunds.  Hopefully your buyer is honest and will return what they bought from you.  I'm sure you can sell it again.  However you did what is right and accepted the return, so when you receive the shirt back, then refund.  Sorry for your situation.  It's happens.

Happy Selling

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Wait until you have the product in hand.  A lot of buyers change their mind and don't return the item.  EB is tracking too.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

No ONLY refund when you the seller have the item in hand.  Sometimes buyers change their mind.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Why would you refund before getting the item back? 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

@1ikillforclothesDo nothing.  Wait to see if they ship it back.  I have had probably 50% of open returns with labels created never get put in the mail.  It is a long process but once the time to ship by day passes eBay will close out the return for you with no money being charged.  NEVER give a refund in cases like this.  More than likely that is what they wanted...their shirt and their money back.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

The return postage is included in the total refund amount.  Seller should wait.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply