cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another lising question to ponder.

i do have a question. as you know i sell dvd movies. my listings are for a 10 day duration. would it be more cost effective to make them 30 day duration listings. this would keep me from having to relist them when they don't sell. i am also wondering if it would impact my buyers from making the decision to buy them that there is a longer period of time to think about the purchase.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: another lising question to ponder.

no i think 30 fixed with best offer would be fine... it will be the "price" and/or the shipping cost that will turn them off from yours... so if price is good..bang...sale

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

It really depends on the DVD too.

It's a very saturated category that you may need the exposure of ending soonest/newly listed or even Best Match.  

If there are 800 copies of a DVD out there and you go with the 30 day duration, what's going to help you with Best Match search results?

Do you have lots of multi-quantity DVDs with a good sell-thru rate?  Those are the ones that'll do best with a 30 day duration or GTC.

(my default search is for ending soonest - I'd see your listing once a month)

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

If you have "extra listings to play with", so to speak, having them start and end 3 times a month could be better than once a month. 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

i also am having a 5% sale off on everything with shipping included. i know 30 days would save me reinsertion fees.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Things are not selling very well at the moment, so no matter what you do, it probably won’t help.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It would be more cost effective to go ahead and use the 30 day especially if you have a store, some of the more common titles could cost you a dollar in relisting fees before they sell though as you probably already know.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@pf9000 wrote:

Things are not selling very well at the moment, so no matter what you do, it probably won’t help.

Yes, because it is for you, it MUST be for everyone else.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@kingfish-4400 wrote:

i do have a question. as you know i sell dvd movies. my listings are for a 10 day duration. would it be more cost effective to make them 30 day duration listings. this would keep me from having to relist them when they don't sell. i am also wondering if it would impact my buyers from making the decision to buy them that there is a longer period of time to think about the purchase.

I use 30 day fixed price (NOT GTC, that is a deathwish and not the Charles Bronson movie). I use a custom field (SKU) that tells me how long things have been listed, then I reduce prices and eventually move things to clearance or off eBay entirely. I won't ever have a single item lasted for longer than a year.

A couple of suggestions:

Your pictures could use some help. Do you scan or photograph? Some way off to the side, some really dark.  

Categories, man! Put your stuff in categories! What happens when someone comes to your store to see what rom-coms or sci-fi or action-adventure you have? You are leaving possible multi-item purchases on the table because no one can browse.

Just a couple of things I noticed. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@pantlandia wrote:

@kingfish-4400 wrote:

I use 30 day fixed price (NOT GTC, that is a deathwish and not the Charles Bronson movie). I use a custom field (SKU) that tells me how long things have been listed, then I reduce prices and eventually move things to clearance or off eBay entirely. I won't ever have a single item lasted for longer than a year.

@pantlandia 

Noticed that you had 900+ listings. Curious if you are doing something like 30 per day or bulk relisting all listings at the same time with the 30 day fixed price.  What is working good for you?

Also, are you using relist or sell similar?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

@kingfish-4400 wrote:

i am also wondering if it would impact my buyers from making the decision to buy them that there is a longer period of time to think about the purchase.

The number one decision buyers make when purchasing on Ebay when there are hundreds to choose from is price. Changing the duration will most likely not make and impact on your sell-through. 5% off most buyer will just laugh at your decision on price reduction.

I checked at random 3 of your DVD's, lowest price first including ship cost :

Ghost -                 3.59, 3.61, 3.68. 3.69, 3.69       YOUR PRICE   8.79

Under Siege 2 - 4.60, 4.99, 5.98, 6.70, 7.19      YOUR PRICE   11.83

Cold Stone -       2.99, 3.25, 3.45, 3.69, 3.74     YOUR PRICE   17.09

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

under siege 2 was purchased yesterday.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@calntom wrote:

@pantlandia wrote:

@kingfish-4400 wrote:

@pantlandia 

Noticed that you had 900+ listings. Curious if you are doing something like 30 per day or bulk relisting all listings at the same time with the 30 day fixed price.  What is working good for you?

Also, are you using relist or sell similar?

I am sporadic in listing things, I'll list as many as 100 in day, but generally list a couple times a week around 10 to 30 each time I list. When they expire, I bulk relist and depending on how long they have listed, lower the price some. I work full time+, so I try to list a little during the week and most on the weekends. I always relist, not sell similar, but sell similar does have some advantages too.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@kingfish-4400 wrote:

under siege 2 was purchased yesterday.

Awesome, so you don't need our help then? 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

i have read your post and it took some time to respond. as far as pricing is concerned i wonder how my competetors can sell the same thing at a super low price. i can only go so low or i would not even bother.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply