cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip Codes

If a buyer wants to make an offer on your item, is it okay with eBay to ask them for their zip code?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Zip Codes

I have asked for zip codes several times without consequence.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Probably no reason it would not be allowed, but what would be the point in asking for the buyer's zip? 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I have asked for zip codes several times without consequence.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

If your listing is set up for Best Offer, the user's location and zip code will be shown on the offer when it's made. You could always revise the listing to include that option.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I offer free shipping and need the zip code to figure out shipping cost.  The buyer asked for a discount on the item.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@hyasnthgrl wrote:

I offer free shipping and need the zip code to figure out shipping cost.  The buyer asked for a discount on the item.

All for naught, as the buyer can change the delivery zip at checkout.

Been there. Had that. Offer from same state. Checkout address in zone  6.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

They have to make the offer first, then when you respond to the offer, the zip code will be displayed before you accept or deny. 

ten_o_nine_0-1666652739228.png

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

"If a buyer wants to make an offer on your item, is it okay with eBay to ask them for their zip code?"

Your sewing patterns probably don't weigh much more than four (4) ounces each.  
Retail postage for a four-ounce item from your state would (currently) be about $1.92 to any zip code within the United States.   I just tested a few locations on the Retail Postage Price Calculator on usps.com, starting from my home Southern California zip code.  It was $1.92 to Augusta, Maine, or to Sarasota, Florida.  I can't imagine the postage would be much less if I sent a similar thing to San Francisco or Chicago.  

I don't know if that will help you, but I find that website very helpful:  usps.com

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Free Shipping Includes USPS Tracking

Tracked shipping $3.62 to $4.26   up to 4oz

$4.01 - $4.45  over 4oz  -8oz.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

https://postcalc.usps.com/Business/Index

Tell the customer to make an Offer.

You will see the zipcode.

We are not allowed to change the shipping on the listing, but we can change the price.

So if the listing is for $10 with $5 shipping (total $15)

and the offer is  $10 with Free Shipping (total $10)

your counter offer would be $5 with $5 shipping (total $10)

If the customer can't understand that the transaction will not go well.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Used eBay online chat and the answer was yes, you could ask for zip codes.  Thanks for your answer.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply