cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yet another Dead Beat BUYER! This time for $1,400!!! So tired of people getting away with it.

I am getting so tired of this... I put a camera up for sale for $1800. Within an hour I get an offer of $1400.  I noticed that the buyers account was started all of two months ago and he has no feedback at all. I message him and thank him for the offer and tell him that I am considering it, but I am concerned about his lack of experience and feedback.

He informs me that he has several buying accounts and this is just the newest one and that he has been buying on ebay for a number of years. I give it some more thought and then decide to accept the offer and send him an invoice. Hours later and no payment. I send him a message and inform him that I accepted his offer and would appreciate it if he would please pay for the item. Nothing...

I wait a few more hours and message again and tell him that I am concerned that I have no received payment and that I will need him to either pay or contact me by the end of business today or I will have to relist the item. He finally writes, tells me that he bought a different item and will "have to pass" on what he purchased from me. 

I called T&S and reported him and they said they would take steps to find his other accounts and take action. This is absolutely infuriating. Ebay is quick to take money out of my account for just about anything, it seems unfair that buyers get a free pass on pretty much anything they want to do. If this were a fair system then they would require buyers to place a credit card and bank account on file before they are allowed to purchase and if they make an offer on something and it is accepted then the funds are automatically taken from their account, simple as that.  It would completely eliminate dead beat buyers or at least give them pause. 

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Yet another Dead Beat BUYER! This time for $1,400!!! So tired of people getting away with it.

I agree basic common sense. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem the people running ebay can do the same math. In the meantime just dont do obo.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Ebay started doing the credit card thing to some buyers as a test a couple months ago.  We've never heard what the results of the test were, or if it's still happening.

But, YUP!  I completely agree that it shouldn't be a test.  It should be the norm.  

Make sure to utilize the nonpaying bidder.  Or is that even a thing we have to do now?  It might be automated if you have the right box checked.  From what I understand, all the accounts are linked (at least in the US) and where there's a strike on one account, it attaches to all accounts.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. 

URGGG!  Sorry this happend!

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Yeah.... unfortunately I get just as many Buy it Now deadbeats as well. OBO is consistently the best way to sell in my experience as it gives the buyer some illusion of power in the transaction and they are more likely to buy or at least make an offer.  The problem is that there are no actual repercussions for dead beat buyers. Ebay says that they will remove someone after three reports but I have dealt with NPB's before that when I report them the T&S member will tell me that the person has far more than 5 reports for not paying.... yet here they are, still on ebay and buying (or not buying in this case.)

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@dcmerc2012 

I have a 10+ year buying account and on offers, I have to put all payment info so that if the seller accepts, the payment is automatic upon acceptance.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

Should have listed the item at $1400  with no best offer allowed. Buy it Now with immediate payment required.

Posting ID
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

That's not a solution to the problem.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@dcmerc2012 wrote:

That's not a solution to the problem.

It is the obvious solution to the problem and one that will work.

You are pizzzing into the wind with your best offer plan.

Posting ID
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Unless you had IPR, shouldn't the buyer have 4 days to pay?  

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

That's exactly what I thought. If immediate payment wasn't required, don't you have 4 days to pay?

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

in a span of a few hours you sent an invoice and two emails telling the buyer to pay now? we read on here all the time about buyers annoying sellers with a string of messages and the group usually agrees that the 'buyer is going to be trouble down the road so better put him on the blocked list'. sorry to say but i think you just got put on the 'blocked seller list' for doing the same thing.  and i doubt customer service does anything to the buyer because he didn't do anything wrong since he has four days to pay. i'm a buyer and a seller here and being both helps me remember that both sides do have rights here. at least it wasn't a situation where you sent the expensive camera and then the buyer hits you with a chargeback or something. who knows maybe you got lucky here after all.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

After four days eBay will automatically Cancel any unpaid transaction and gives the deadbeat a Strike.

You may have to opt into this program.

You can also Block bids, offers, and purchases from members with two or more Strikes.

One strike could be a lesson learned for the buyer.

I wait a few more hours (sic) and message again and tell him that I am concerned that I have no received payment and that I will need him to either pay or contact me by the end of business today or I will have to relist the item. He finally writes, tells me that he bought a different item and will "have to pass" on what he purchased from me.

Buyers have up to 96hours to pay.

And in your case, that $1400 could be Held, since you are an occasional seller, for up to 21 days against your performance.

What is your loss?

Instead you had  few days delay in relisting your item.

Letting T&S know the deadbeat's other accounts was probably a Good Thing.

Did you open a formal Unpaid Item Dispute or has eBay done it for you yet?

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Yeah, that means exactly **bleep** when they write you after I accept the offer and tell you that they are "going to pass" on it.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Yes  the buyer has 4 days   which is  up to the seller  unless  seller  sets payment due in 7 days   on a None IPR item  .   However   over last 6  years  ebay has  been  pushing the use of  shopping   cart  and  getting sellers to set their combined shipping , so that buyer places 2 or more items that lets the buyer  to request total  combined shipping  request.   if buyer has one bin they are sent to check out to pay asap. 

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

You are missing the point... The buyer responded and made it clear that he was not intending to ever pay for the item. He also, btw, complained in the message to me how ebay is so quick to block his accounts and he keeps having to create new ones.

Do you seriously think I give a &%$^ whether or not I am on this morons blocked seller list??? Seriously??

Message 15 of 32
latest reply