cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yellow lines in my product photos!!!

I'm at my witts end!!  I am wanting to up the quality of my listing photos and purchased 3 LimoStudio 3000 watt lightboxes. This has given me PLENTY of light for my items but every time a take a picture yellow lines appear in the photo!!!  Also the picture is always dull even though I have tons of light.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you correct it???  

My lighting is fine (at least I think!) so I'm thinking its my digital camera settings.  At this point I have no clue and would appreciate greatly for any help!  Thank you!!!Lines, Vertical.jpgLines, Horizontal.jpg

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

Re: Yellow lines in my product photos!!!

@johnfduda wrote:

Could it be ripples in the background material, or could it be coming thru the background material. I've seen a Priority Mail cardboard behind my background paper come thru the paper.

OP, in your original post did you shoot the one image with the bottle laying on its side. Cause in both photos the bars, you called them lines, run the same direction, in relation to my horizon.

If you look at the shadows, you’ll see that the bottle is standing in both photos. It’s not the background material.

Message 31 of 80
latest reply

I looked up the lights you bought. 3000 watt each and you have three!! I see there are multiple bulbs on each light. Possible your getting multiple shadows off the subject from each of the bulbs in each fixture???

I use 2 Smith Victor 600 watt hot bulbs. Really Hotttt. I get shadows from the subject in a v pattern from the subject because my lights are to the right and left of the subject. But I have one bulb in each head.

I think I'd take some test pics. Eliminate one lamp. I'd do without the backlight first. I'd also re-aim it, later, so it's not shining toward the camera. Can you get it higher so it's shining down and slightly away from the subject. I think the third light should be a key light. Question for other posters, isn't a keylight used so it has less of an influence on the subject than the main lights???

I'd take a photo without that third light, just to see what happens.

Sometimes I look thru my viewfinder and move a light while I'm watching it. Especially when my subject is a lens. I look for how the front element looks with the light coming from varied directions. Are you using an SLR with a viewfinder??

Message 32 of 80
latest reply

@xeniavintage wrote:

I'm at my wits' end!!  I am wanting to up the quality of my listing photos and purchased 3 LimoStudio 3000 watt lightboxes. This has given me PLENTY of light for my items but every time I take a picture yellow lines appear in the photo!!!  Also the picture is always dull even though I have tons of light.

I see the lines clearly, although I think I would describe them as "bands" because they're not really clearly-defined; they're more like unexpected color shifts, wandering regularly back and forth between one shade and another going down the image.

@xeniavintage wrote:

My lighting is fine (at least I think!) so I'm thinking its my digital camera settings.  At this point I have no clue and would appreciate greatly for any help!  Thank you!!!

I think it's your camera too, and in particular how it's reacting to that kind of lighting. I assume that when you rotate the camera 90° and shoot the same view in Portrait mode, the bands rotate as well. Are you able to adjust the camera for a slower shutter speed? (Setting a smaller aperture should trigger a slower shutter speed, if you can't control the shutter speed directly.) If you can, I think that your unwanted bands may either get much thinner (with more bands from top to bottom) or possibly disappear altogether.

Are these new lights LED-powered? What I think you're picking up is very rapid on-and-off pulsing of AC-powered LEDs as the camera is taking the photo. When the LEDs are at full brightness, you would see a normal white background, but when one or two of your lights have cycled off (and we're talking milliseconds, really), the ambient light stays visible, and adds a yellowish tinge. The camera scans the image from either top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top, so the bands will be horizontal relative to the camera. If you turn it vertical for Portrait mode, your image will have vertical bands.

I suspect that if you changed to an equal amount of incandescent light bulbs surrounding the subject, this symptom would go away. Alternatively, see if a slower shutter speed will slow the exposure enough that the bands all blend together. 

Also, more generally, I really wouldn't recommend a white background, because the camera will end up silhouetting the subject as it tries to equalize the exposure of the darker subject with the bright white background surrounding it. (This is the effect you noticed as the subject seeming "always dull" regardless of how much light you put on it.) You'd have to go anywhere up to one f-stop overexposed to get a decent rendering of the subject in the middle because of all that white around it. I would suggest getting much closer in to the subject, to minimize the white areas, and also ditching the white altogether in favor of a 50% gray (I use a gray towel).

A gray background serves to balance the exposure across the full frame, and the gray color will not skew the camera's Automatic White Balance, in cases where you have not locked it in to one particular white balance setting (e.g. Tungsten for incandescent lighting, or Fluorescent, etc.). Thus it will do a much better job of accurately rending the object's color. (The worst possible thing you could do is put a bright surrounding color around it as a backdrop, as the camera will go bonkers trying to figure out what the "real" color looks like.)

Mainly, I'm curious to know whether your photo lights are LED-powered, because I think that's where your problem is likely to be coming from, if so. The all-white background is perhaps exaggerating the effect and making it more visible than it otherwise would be. In any event, your best bet long-term might be to shoot against a 50%-gray backdrop, and then paste your subject onto a surrounding white background later if desired.

Message 33 of 80
latest reply

@johnfduda wrote:

I looked up the lights you bought. 3000 watt each and you have three!! I see there are multiple bulbs on each light. Possible your getting multiple shadows off the subject from each of the bulbs in each fixture???

9000 watts of light - Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor would be proud!

Arh Arh Arh ....

Yes, this happens in all the pictures!  The lines appear sometimes stronger than others. 

I'm currently using my Galaxy Note 8 tablet but I've also used my Galaxy 8 phone and also my Nikon Coolpix L830 camera all with the same results.

Message 35 of 80
latest reply

I'm thinking that it could be my camera settings because I've dealt with these stripes even before I bought the softboxes with different lighting! 

Message 36 of 80
latest reply

Nope, have had these lines with paper, without paper, white poster board and no poster board.  These softboxes are giving a reflective light since no light comes directly from the bulbs but are filtered.

Message 37 of 80
latest reply

Dang, that's a lot of light. 

Message 38 of 80
latest reply

That is a gorgeous edit!  My concern though is when my item is lighter in color and not wanting to distort its true color!  I'm just wanting to figure out how to eliminate this problem entirely.  That really is a gorgeous edit!! 🙂

@a*river*runs*through*it wrote:

It's definitely your camera. MIne started doing the same thing after a few years. I bought a new camera.

It can be edited to what you're wanting though. I used my Canon ZoomBrowser program to do this:bottle.jpg

Message 39 of 80
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@johnfduda wrote:

9000 watts of light - Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor would be proud!

Arh Arh Arh ....

If true and not some kind of oddball typo, that's just simply ridiculous.  You can light such a small area with 3 10W (or less) LEDS and choose the color range from 2700Kelvin (warm yellowish white) to 6500Kelvin (bright/bluish white).  I have my entire front and side yards lit well enough for security cameras using less than 30 watts of LEDs.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 40 of 80
latest reply

When I see a number or name on tape on an item, I always wonder what is covered up. And worse yet, will they do it on an original box for an antique or vintage item?

@johnfduda wrote:

I tried  to edit your photo with PhotoShop SLE. I found:

The pixel size was too small, for me. I think arround 1200 pixels on the long side. When I cropped it It went down too about 150 pixels on the long side. That's a scosh bigger than my thumbnails.

When I tried to save it insisted on saving it as a PSD file. So I looked at layers and Flatten image was enabled. When I flattened the layers I was able to save it as a jpg file.

I think the yellow lines your seeing are in your photo editing software. Do you see the lines in the image presented here in this thread? I don't see lines either on this web page or in Photoshop. By the way I adjusted the contrast with autocontrast and then added some more myself. I don't see any great improvement. I think if you move the camera closer to the subject and raise the pixel size that might help. Also try adjusting the light so it's shining on the background and not on the glass. Then you'll be shooting the light shining thru the bottle. I think you'll like it.

Myself I try to make my pictures look better than the product photos. Then your buyers will know you shot them yourself.

My one image of the bottle standing straight up, it is 4032x3024.  Ebay must have adjusted it smaller for this discussion.  

These lines (wide shadowy stripes) appear on the camera screen right after taking the picture and hadn't even hit the editing software yet.

Message 42 of 80
latest reply

Borrow a different camera, put the settings same as as yours.  See if the results are identical.

Message 43 of 80
latest reply

I think A_C_Green is on to a solution. I googled light banding in photos and got this:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/59454/how-can-one-correct-intensity-flicker-due-to-ac-line...

LightBanding.JPG

Looks, kinda familiar?

I shoot my images on a tripod at 1/25 second at f16 cause I'm trying to get as much depth of field as posible. I'm using different lights but using a slower speed may help.

Message 44 of 80
latest reply

Its not the background as I just put up a nice crisp clean roll of paper with nothing behind it.

Both pictures the bottle is standing straight up.  What happened was that when I pulled these two photos over into the posting upload, one loaded upright and the other on its side.  Same for the pictures with my setup and the cat!

Message 45 of 80
latest reply