cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YIKES, mind that decimal point if you do promotions

I thought I had this promoted at 9.1% .....well, no.  I will actually have to pay a bit out of pocket just to ship this thing.  Oy.  

Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 7.45.43 PM.png

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@rockystradingpost wrote:

Can you tell if the sky high promo rate sold it faster than you've sold similar items without the promo? 

I've experimented with higher and lower promo rates and don't really feel like the higher rates are worth it.

Well assuming it works the way it purports to, as a "competitive" agent, then theoretically you can't promote any better than ... better than everyone else.  So if the highest anyone else was promoting Disney pins was, say, 25%, then no, 91% would not make any noticeable difference.  However (again theoretically) someone promoting at 25% should get about "twice" as much promotion as someone using the current suggested rate of 11.9% (last I checked).  

But what exactly does "how much" promotion quantify, exactly?  How often the item shows up in this or that location, purportedly.  But obviously that makes it so hard to check up on.   -Just because I do use promotion doesn't mean I'm a cheerleader for it.  I find it EXTREMELY suspicious that we have to rely on eBay's word that an item either 'did' or 'didn't' sell via promotion.  -eBAy, as in, the same one who CHARGES when the item "did" sell that way.  That would be like NBC charging Tide for commercials according to whether people purchased their detergent because they saw the commercials ... and only NBC is privy to that information.  

The closest I have seen to hard data on what happens with various promotion rates were experiments done by @zamo-zuan .  And he keeps his links, so if he sees this and has time (very busy auto parts seller, mind you) maybe he'll chime in. 

Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

Lol you are so salty about promoted listings.

My last two sales sold at 16% ad rate, and I made plenty of money off it. 🙂

Well talk about helping prove my point for me...  How much MORE money would you have made if you had promoted at 7%?? ....or how about this... 0%... And if you say you couldn't have sold it at one of those rates, then you have even further proven my point...Not just of the money grab that promotions are, but even moreso, the viability of the site itself... Yup you are quite the entrepreneur...

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

@gurlcat 

Nice to see you taking responsibility.

Glad to see you're human and are capable of making mistakes (like me).

I've seen so many other sellers come here blaming ebay for such errors.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

And yet it's still less than I pay for PPC campaigns for Wmt amz and shopify.

When you look at it at a micro level you don't see the bigger picture.

There are always ways to increase profit. If I turned off all ads I'd make much more profit per item but my sales would drop significantly. This is true for all marketplaces.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@gurlcat 

Your right ...how could ebay possibly have any fault in this... Surely they thought she "responsibly " wanted to promote her listing at 91% - I mean who wouldn't want to right??  And they were more than happy to do so for her.

Maybe its time the site started acting "responsibly" for a change...

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

I have been actively and deliberately interfering with eBay's collection of promoted listing fees since they started, as a matter of principle. By not searching for anything, ever, with my buying ID. I search with a different ID, and if I find a listing I am interested in purchasing, I open it with my buying ID, after carefully removing all hash and other tags from the URL or using the item # only and no other hash. I do what I can, even though eBay has some schemes that can't be defeated.

eBay is on to your efforts to save sellers PL fees @lacemaker3 .

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/growth/promoted-listings/promoted-listings-standard

Under FAQs expand: How much does Promoted Listings Standard cost?

Note: We usually recognize the buyer when they are logged in across devices. However, in some cases, buyers may not be logged in when they click on your ad. In those cases, we utilize internal models and signals across accounts and devices to link clicks to purchases of your promoted items.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@gurlcat  Sorry you made that mistake....and glad it wasn't a more expensive item you paid a lot for.

As to the discussion about high rates and how they perform. I've mentioned this many times in the past....does NO ONE use the tool ebay provides to help you set the rate?  I haven't used it recently, but I know in the past when I used it , it usually made pretty clear that 50% 0r even 20% wouldn't really be much better than , say, 8% for the item I want to list.

In all likelihood, you probably would have gotten the sale with 9.1% just as quickly as with the mistaken 91%.

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@gurlcat 

If it was a considerably higher-price item, or if I hadn't already had such a great day, I would maybe contact the buyer and see if they'd be okay with a cancel/relist at a lower price for their trouble, but in this case I'll just take it as a fairly inexpensive lesson about double-checking my work.  

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

That's good you didn't promote at 9.9%. lol

There's a minimum limit, but no maximum limit, that's one of the mays corporations make money.

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

And yet it's still less than I pay for PPC campaigns for Wmt amz and shopify.

When you look at it at a micro level you don't see the bigger picture.

There are always ways to increase profit. If I turned off all ads I'd make much more profit per item but my sales would drop significantly. This is true for all marketplaces.

I'm sorry, but there will NOT always be ways to increase profit - I couldnt begin to guess where this statement comes from - You may be able to ask more for what you sell, but there will come a point where people will refuse to buy at asking prices that include 40% to 50% of the items selling price in fees, which is where you are likely already at promoting at 16% -  I dont look at anything from a micro level - Looking at it from a MACRO level shows this program will kill this site - That prices will become unhinged, that seller and product quality will go down the tubes, that thievery and scams will increase out of resentment alone. So just keep on running with the mantra that seems so popular on these boards: "I dont pay my fees, my buyers do" - The lack of viable business acumen in this statement is beyond words.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

That's good you didn't promote at 9.9%. lol

There's a minimum limit, but no maximum limit, that's one of the mays corporations make money.

Worse yet at 20.0%. I don't have anything to watch since I never have and never will use PL but I often wonder if it is possible to promote at more than 100%. I suppose at some point we may see that question if it is indeed possible. 

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@gurlcat 

Your right ...how could ebay possibly have any fault in this... Surely they thought she "responsibly " wanted to promote her listing at 91% - I mean who wouldn't want to right??  And they were more than happy to do so for her.

Maybe its time the site started acting "responsibly" for a change...

@gurlcat 

You're off the hook.

It was all ebay's fault.

They should have know nobody would possibly promote their item that high.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

You also need to mind the decimal point when setting prices, entering shipping amounts, making offers, and issuing refunds. And anywhere else you enter a number.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

OUCH!!, I Bet You'll Pay Attention To That From Now On!!

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

I feel like eBay needs to notify you "Since we can't do math correctly, we can at least tell you that 91% is actually OVER 100%.  We apologize again for not being able to calculate percentages the right way."

Message 30 of 34
latest reply