cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong photo on sold item

I listed a game on eBay and today it sold, I noticed when clicking on it I had put the wrong case with the game in the photos. I have the right case to the game listed, but I don’t know what to do. 

(note: I no longer have wrong case as I sold that game)

I’ve messaged the buyer about it to see if they still wanted the item as they were buying the game that the case I have goes to. 

Haven’t heard anything back, and they have a 0% score so I doubt I will get a message back.

What should I do at this point? Cancel the order? Or send it with the original case?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Wrong photo on sold item

What should I do at this point?

Wait for the buyer to respond! It looks like it's been less than 2 hours since the listing ended.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

How long is your handling time?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

Give the buyer 48 hours to respond, then cancel as "Buyer Request" and refund.

48 hours because that is how long you would allow for an Unpaid Item Dispute.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

If the case you have is BETTER than the case pictured, i would explain that to the seller and offer it "at no additional charge" (That's the salesman in me.).  I would give the buyer a day or two to respoond.   If no response, cancel the order.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Give the buyer 48 hours to respond, then cancel as "Buyer Request" and refund.

48 hours because that is how long you would allow for an Unpaid Item Dispute.

Hi @reallynicestamps you are always a great poster, giving stellar info and advice. But I disagree here. It is risky to use Buyer Requested as a cancellation reason when the buyer has not asked for it, especially since this was a seller mistake. Seller must make it right, even if it means a defect.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

I guess I am playing the odds here. If the buyer has not paid by the time a Dispute can be opened, the seller could be safe enough using the lack of communication as an agreement /buyer cancellation.

But yes, it is gambling. And not really ethicsal.
If eBay were more understanding about stupid mistakes (where the picture is obviously not the item described for example) my advice would be different. 

Even with this, I'd being doing it with crossed fingers.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

The OP gave no indication that it hadn't been paid for. In fact it seems the buyer has paid and that is why the OP is unsure if they should ship, hold or cancel.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

If you can't reach them, then ship it as usual. Follow up with a message explaining the situation, apologize and let the buyer know that they can return it for a full refund if it's not what they want.

I'd never just cancel due to something that may not be as issue for the buyer. You might be out the shipping cost (both ways) but it's the cost of the lesson.

My 2 cents

VintageCarMagazines

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

I wouldn't ship until the matter has been settled, until you hear back.  There are many buyers, more and more that seem unable to read and only look at the pictures.  He may think he bought the game pictured on the case.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Wrong photo on sold item

You have the right Title and wrong Picture in the listing. It's more likely, the buyer found your item from the Title than they were searching through pictures of game listings and found yours. 

If you have the game in the Title, I would ship because that's likely what they intended to buy.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 11 of 11
latest reply