cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, if that's your 'Best Offer', I'd hate to see what your worst offer is...

Once again confirming that for the most part 'Best Offer' is a waste of time and encourages buyers to think they can get you way down on price. If you don't drop the price a lot, they won't buy. I get offers on things listed for $25 of $5-$10. Everyone wants everything for near nothing. Also lots of people proposing buying well below my asking price with free shipping included (which I don't offer). This is now like Poverty Mart. 

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Wow, if that's your 'Best Offer', I'd hate to see what your worst offer is...

I realize this is an old post but something happened to me today that is very fitting. It was my only decent sale today. I don't allow counteroffers when I send out offers, but because of one of eBay's glitches, it decided to check the box. So a guy offer's me about 50% of my price and I'm about to decline with a whole paragraph going off on him how his offer won't even cover the shipping, let alone eBay's fees or cost of goods. I was really going to let him have it, until I saw a tiny message along with his lowball offer on my phone wanting 10 or more. I'm glad I saw that message and I ended up adjusting the volume price discount on the listing allowing him to buy as many as he would like at 45% off. Turned out to be a great sale(only decent sale of the day) and he said he will be ordering more as he manufactures something custom. Read your messages people!

Message 61 of 66
latest reply

Re: Wow, if that's your 'Best Offer', I'd hate to see what your worst offer is...

I couldn't agree with you more! I have grown to loathe that option and do not use it. Grateful eBay discontinued defaulting all listings to Best Offer (they did this for a bit and caused many headaches for us as sellers). I have loved selling on this platform since 2009, but really wish eBay would discontinue this practice. It encourages scamming the sellers and creates a nightmare when the seller chooses to run promotions. Why not do like every other eCommerce platform....price is what is stated. Until then, I'll continue to ignore random messages requesting I accept a Best Offer and keep on doing business as usual.

Thoughts from my Joybird Sofa...B

Message 62 of 66
latest reply

Never use it. My prices are low enough. Profits are slim. Best offer is a waste of time and is only good for those with high markups, or over market priced items. 

Message 63 of 66
latest reply

I will no longer check the "allow best offers" box on any item.  I found that every buyer wants to discount the price by the amount of shipping.  Not a few bucks or 10%, but always in that $9-11 range that most items cost to ship.  This effectively gives the buyer free shipping and negates any profit I would make on lower priced items after costs of business and Ebay fees are subtracted.    

Message 64 of 66
latest reply

Yeah, Ebay is the go to for selling your items at the lowest possible price.  

Message 65 of 66
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 66 of 66
latest reply