cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, if that's your 'Best Offer', I'd hate to see what your worst offer is...

Once again confirming that for the most part 'Best Offer' is a waste of time and encourages buyers to think they can get you way down on price. If you don't drop the price a lot, they won't buy. I get offers on things listed for $25 of $5-$10. Everyone wants everything for near nothing. Also lots of people proposing buying well below my asking price with free shipping included (which I don't offer). This is now like Poverty Mart. 

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

@glasser wrote:

Haggling for goods is as old as commerce itself.

Pre-internet, for those of us who buy and sell antiques, negotiating is part and parcel of the daily business. Still is at flea markets and shows. Some people who have only sold on the inernet may not be aware of how markets have traditionally worked.

eBay's system in an impersonal one. compared to face-to-face dickering. 

So, here's my advice. If BO causes you agita don't offer it.

If you use BO, chill and never take any offer personally. Look at every offer as an opportunity to make sale even if at face value the initial offer looks insulting. It's the start of a conversation. Someone offers you 50% on the listing price respond with a counter that you can work with. They take it great. They don't no harm no foul.

It's just the marketplace doing its thing.

I agree. I don't think I've ever bought or sold a horse in real life that we didn't haggle over the price. You always start out asking more than you really will take and then let the haggling begin.

Message 31 of 66
latest reply

@glasser wrote:

Haggling for goods is as old as commerce itself.

Pre-internet, for those of us who buy and sell antiques, negotiating is part and parcel of the daily business. Still is at flea markets and shows. Some people who have only sold on the inernet may not be aware of how markets have traditionally worked.

eBay's system in an impersonal one. compared to face-to-face dickering. 

So, here's my advice. If BO causes you agita don't offer it.

If you use BO, chill and never take any offer personally. Look at every offer as an opportunity to make sale even if at face value the initial offer looks insulting. It's the start of a conversation. Someone offers you 50% on the listing price respond with a counter that you can work with. They take it great. They don't no harm no foul.

It's just the marketplace doing its thing.

Yep @glasser I'm with you and  @my-cottage-books-and-antiques on this.  I already posted once here and elsewhere in the past that Best offer should be changed to "Haggle" or "Haggling" ... its simply part of doing business.  For myself I don't use B.O. but get offered messaged ... some I pursue and others I simply let the Buyer know I would be selling at a loss with their offer ... nothing personal, just business ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 32 of 66
latest reply

@mr_lincoln I like that. eBay should have a button that reads "haggle with me" that implies lets open up some back and forth!

Plus ,it humanizes eBay as a person-to-person marketplace, which is one of eBay's advantages over the Amazons and Walmarts of the world

A best offer, in a traditional haggle, often doesn't come till a back and forth or two anyway.  So calling Best Offer is the wrong name to start out with. 

It's also one of the reasons I like auctions. Since your highest bid is basically your best offer.

Message 33 of 66
latest reply

4-4-22 was a weird day!

Received offers of three different listings and they were 50% or below buy it now price. Sellers spend a lot of time with photos, details, measurements, and researching what same / similar items are selling for and comparing condition (new / used).

Also been receiving messages asking what is my best price? I don't respond! Buyers have something like 4 offers to make and during that time, both parties can feel each other out and normally come to an agreement most of the time. 

Message 34 of 66
latest reply

Then again there are sellers who will not accept an offer for even a penny less.
Yes I am serious, they are gaming the system.

Message 35 of 66
latest reply

@glasser  @mr_lincoln  I think the term "Best Offer" is a legacy term....if I remember correctly, when it first launched , that's what it was: the buyer could make one offer, and the seller accepted or not. The haggling came later, as ebay expanded the number of offers that could be made and gave sellers the ability to counter offer. I personally prefer "haggling" too, but I know there are people who don't like the term (even though they'll use Best Offer)

@sextons-sweet-deals  Under 50% offers I decline or counter-offer. I don't give it any more thought than that. I'm not insulted by them. I'm sometimes perplexed----$5.00 with free shipping for an $85.00 item? But, hey, whatever....a real low ball like that, I'll often counter with , say, $80.00 and no comment. If they come back with $6.00, I decline. Sometimes they come back much higher, because $5.00 might have been a typo.

I, too, have received a couple of the "what's the lowest you'll take" questions...I wonder if some YouTuber or other "influencer" has recommended this tactic recently? As tempting as it is to reply with something snarky, I just reply with a number that is a decent amount off, or , if I really want to move the item, I'll revise the listing, lower the price, make sure I have immediate payment on it and remove Best Offer (these questions come as messages, not offers, so I can adjust the price) and I'll respond with "I just lowered this to "x"."  They can then buy (with immediate payment) or not. I can always increase it later.

Message 36 of 66
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I, too, have received a couple of the "what's the lowest you'll take" questions...I wonder if some YouTuber or other "influencer" has recommended this tactic recently? As tempting as it is to reply with something snarky.

What's the most you're willing to pay? 🙄  I don't say it, but I sure want to.  I don't use BO though, I just get offers every day. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 37 of 66
latest reply

I don't use Best Offer although I had in the past. I found it to be a waste of time. I still get offers through messaging and if the potential buyer seems reasonable I will either accept or counter.

I did get a message the other day that reads "I don't see a "Make Offer" button on your listing. Did you forget to add it? Want to buy, Let's Make A Deal!"

Looking at their feedback left for others.. I'll pass.

I also get the "what's your lowest" on here and quite a bit more on another site. I just respond with "price is listed".

Message 38 of 66
latest reply

We probably sell nearly half our items through Best Offer. Love it.

It's especially good for selling stock we've had around for awhile. We have lots of items up and can't keep track of what and when. Buyers often do that for us.

Message 39 of 66
latest reply

You're being trolled.  Best to set your minimum to weed out the weeds.

Message 40 of 66
latest reply

@asset_liquidators  "I also get the "what's your lowest" on here and quite a bit more on another site. I just respond with "price is listed".

Hmmm, I was wondering if that might be a factor....the "what's your lowest?" tactic might be common on another site (or sites) and buyers who are used to it there simply apply it here as well. 

For me, Best Offer isn't a waste of time, but I think a lot depends on what you sell. A lot of my stuff is the kind of stuff people would haggle over at a flea market , and also, on most things I have some room to haggle. If I were selling other stuff, and especially if it came with tighter margins, I might not use it. I can certainly see where it would be a waste of time for some sellers.

Message 41 of 66
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I, too, have received a couple of the "what's the lowest you'll take" questions...I wonder if some YouTuber or other "influencer" has recommended this tactic recently? 

I would get that a lot of Facebook. I usually respond with, "What's the most you're willing to pay?"

Not that I'm the best at it, but I think some people are just really bad at haggling and think of it as a bold move on negotiating. Kind of like I'll give you this much or walk. Don't trip on anything on your way out. Although, to be fair. Most people only get to practice negotiating when buying a house or car. And I guess occasionally when seeking a job.

Not eBay related, but another one I like is, "I'm coming from x, will you take less?" Will respond with, "If I drive to you, will you take more?" You're coming to me regardless. Where you are coming from is unimportant to me.

I don't know, could be something they saw in a movie and it worked (shocking right?) and decide to try it themselves.

Message 42 of 66
latest reply

@glasser   Agreed ... I sell a lot Auction style and let the market drive the price.  Someone on this thread mentioned they offer an amount somewhere around (or below) the average trending rate eBay provides ... sorry, eBay's agenda is to drive prices down ... like starting Auctions at 99 cents.  For myself the starting price on an auction is the lowest I will accept on one bid and make a profit ... which is for the most part how I price GTCs ...
I like how you defined  the idea of haggling "... it humanizes eBay as a person-to-person marketplace, which is one of eBay's advantages over the Amazons and Walmarts of the world. ..."
So true ...

Regards,
Message 43 of 66
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

Buyers here have been very use to the discount mentality forever is part of the problem,

A buyer has every right to expect a discount mentality when a seller is openly advertising that they are willing to discount the item.

Message 44 of 66
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques   I like the term Haggling too ... thanks for the history of the Best Offer ...

Regards,
Message 45 of 66
latest reply