cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you resell an item a buyer failed to claim?

I sold an item about two months ago to a buyer who apparently moved and didn't leave a forwarding address. The package was returned to me ("unable to forward") and is still sitting wrapped in my closet. I posted about this on the boards and everyone advised me to do nothing, and respond only if the buyer contacted me first. I've been waiting and waiting to see if they message me, but they haven't said anything to me. 

The buyer is well past their MBG window, though I'm aware they could open a Paypal case. I don't know how successful that would be though as tracking details clearly show that USPS attempted delivery to an individual who had moved and left no forwarding details. 

Would it be all right to relist this item for sale? I'm not sure what to do with it but I'm tired of having it knocking about my closet. What would you do in this situation?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I wait a year, then sell.

Up to you

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

If they paid for it, I would message them and ask.  You will have to refund probably, or if they still want it, have them pay shipping to resend.  Then you would be able to post the item guilt free and move on with your life, or send it off and it's gone.  

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Refund minus your shipping costs and relist it.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Did you send them an email? 

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I would wait until after the period your state has set for property to be deemed abandoned.  However, before I did anything I would make one attempt to contact the buyer through eBay messaging advising him that the item has been returned to you and requesting his instructions as on how he wishes you to proceed.  I would then secure his property until I received his reply.  If after the period of time designated by your state to be considered abandoned property, I would dispose of the property as I saw fit.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I would relist it now.  I would not refund.  Buyers need to take responsibility for their purchases.  If you are contacted by the original buyer then I might refund but not first.  

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Item sold for $$???

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

While you're deciding what to do, take a couple minutes to visit Legacy.com and look for an obituary.   You have their name and state. 

Sad and as morbid as it may sound, the person could have passed away. 

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Yes,  I would relist it for sale.

I buyer has apparently forgotten the transaction.

Has the buyer upadated their shinping info? Have they purchased anything else in the last few months?

Should the buyer contact you, it's then you can decide on a sloution. I would negotiate a partial refund based on your loses like foregone income, shipping, eBay fees and tongue in cheek... the all important, time value of money..... lol

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

A few years ago, I sold a piece and had it returned to me because the buyer was "not at this address". I emailed the buyer, who replied that he had never ordered the item. I put the piece back on the shelf and waited for action from the other party, but nothing happened. After three months, I relisted and sold it again, thus getting paid twice for one item.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

A buyer can do a chargeback on a credit card transaction for 6 months. I'd wait that out and give a buffer to make sure the 6 months isn't flexible. So, it looks like the previous post suggesting you wait a year isn't too far off my idea on this. Once the PayPal window closes it's very likely the buyer will resort to the Credit Card chargeback option.

Don't forget any storage charges. I mean space is at a premium in most of our closets.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@uzumakey wrote:

I sold an item about two months ago to a buyer who apparently moved and didn't leave a forwarding address. The package was returned to me ("unable to forward") and is still sitting wrapped in my closet. I posted about this on the boards and everyone advised me to do nothing, and respond only if the buyer contacted me first. I've been waiting and waiting to see if they message me, but they haven't said anything to me. 

The buyer is well past their MBG window, though I'm aware they could open a Paypal case. I don't know how successful that would be though as tracking details clearly show that USPS attempted delivery to an individual who had moved and left no forwarding details. 

Would it be all right to relist this item for sale? I'm not sure what to do with it but I'm tired of having it knocking about my closet. What would you do in this situation?

Happened to me about 8 years ago with a $100 item. Buyer bought it and asked if he could send a shipping label and pay for the item only. I told him sure (like I said 8 years ago, not recommended now). He never sent the label. I would email him about it every 2-3 weeks. Every time he would tell me he would get it in the mail in the next day or two. The next day or two never came. After about 4 months I quit asking. About 6 months after that I relisted and sold it again. Got paid twice for it but the babysitting was worth something. My time is not free for others to waste.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I agree with Southern Sweet Tea, I'd refund minus shipping costs and relist.  I've done that in the past when I received items back that way and haven't heard back from the buyer.  I would wait the 30 days, which you already have.  

If you refund there is no recourse that a buyer has, since that is the most eBay will require you to do (unless it was free shipping, then they might require you to refund that also, if something is said/done about it).  And if the buyer hasn't responded, for whatever reason, after 30 days I would assume they are no longer interested in that item.  

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I would make another attempt to contact the buyer. Then I would likely simply relist. A refund from PayPal just might get you a defect against your seller performance, since said refund is not a result of a buyer request etc.  

Should the buyer file a subsequent claim via PayPal or c.card, simply refund at that time and avoid the defect performance strike. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply