cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would You pay $10.00 a Month to Join Ebay's Seller's Union ?

Where Ebay would have to negotiate it's fees, policies with Sellers ?

Not that it could be possible, but wouldn't it be nice to have a say....in the Company we all Built ?

Message 1 of 218
latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

Re: Would You pay $10.00 a Month to Join Ebay's Seller's Union ?

@skeletonstore wrote:

unions are no different than politicians only they usually use more violence and threats to get their way.  The other way they are like politicians is it's just another way someone can make money off of other people's work.  unions are also related to communism.  It just happened to be karl marx wrote his little manifesto in the year 1848 around the time of a famine and wide spread immigration.  It is often accepted that Irish immigrant brought with them the basic idea as they protested mining conditions and other forms of essentially slave labor.  Unions today are far different and workers have way more protections even without them.  so it's nothing but a powerplay which always drives up costs.  Just look at how much money police,  fire etc bribe from municipalities all over the country(especially big cities).  In this example where it is being put forth the seller controls the means of production,  the power struggle will result in a lack of effort and production and the site being ebay's can control the gate and simply lock the union out.  Good luck starting your own company from scratch and attracting all the shareholders like ebay obviously did.  amazon workers down south rejected the idea.  

Everybody seems to be missing the key issue -- Sellers are NOT EBAY EMPLOYEES!  If we were, there would be payroll taxes taken from every deposit they make, and you can bet the daily deposit option would not be available for most of us.  Small sellers would be monthly, twice-monthly, or weekly at best.  And fees would be higher to cover the costs of processing all that payroll.

We are not employees.  There is no hiring process to go thru, no drug screening, and only minimal background check.  We are not employees - we are, at best, contract suppliers of inventory, and probably considered drop-shippers if you get really technical about it (eBay sells a widget to THEIR customer, then tell us and send us the funds we agreed to deliver it to them for, and they supply the shipping address).

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 211 of 218
latest reply

@discountmagz wrote:

The owner of ebay net worth is 45 billion, made his largest share holders very rich, like pay pal. CEO of ebay makes 21.8 million.  Jimmy Hoffa net worth when he died 13 million.  Lets compare.. 

Hoffa was pre-Internet.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 212 of 218
latest reply

@discountmagz wrote:

Now why aren't we offered to investment opportunities in ebay? and the majority of the sellers be share holders in the company?  Food for thought. 

You can buy eBay stock at just about any brokerage firm you care to establish an account with -- no need to get eBay's overhead involved.  You can own as much as you want, as much as you can afford.  Buy enough of the right shares and you even get a vote!  Rather than investing your profits in more inventory or personal comfort - invest in the future of eBay!

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 213 of 218
latest reply

@discountmagz wrote:

I admit it was a guess. Lets just be safe to say most of are steel is now in China. Majority of tools are made in China. Craftsman I hope their still alive. Sears is gone? what next? 

Do you not understand that a "tool" is anything that is used to perform work?  Computers are tools, as is the software designed to run on them.  And very few computer cases are made from steel anymore - most are aluminum, plastic, or photons.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 214 of 218
latest reply

@discountmagz wrote:

NATIONAL LABOR RELATION ACT OF 1935 

The NLRA guarantees workers the right to organize into unions and bargain collectively with the boss 'ebay'. It prohibits certain actions by management called "unfair labor practices." A company which threatens to fire a worker who joins a union, which sets up a company union that doesn't represent the workers or which refuses to bargain collectively with the legitimate representatives  of the workers, is guilty of an unfair labor practice. The law also established the National Labor Relations Board to investigate complaints of unfair labor practices. It authorized the NLRB to conduct elections upon petition, to determine if majority in a bargaining unit wanted to be represented by the petitioning union. 

eBay sellers are not eBay employees.  Your research forgot to consider that -- we don't work for eBay.  Period.  Never have.  Never will.  Accept the reality and move on please.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 215 of 218
latest reply

@pikabo-icu wrote:

@discountmagz wrote:

Never said they were. 

All those Union Laws you are spamming are for employee/employer relationships..

So what's the point then? 

I think he's shooting for another "badge" for posts made.  Either that or he/she just has way too much time on their hands and needs to really find a better hobby.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 216 of 218
latest reply

@discountmagz wrote:

"I" notice you always talk in first person. We would like some kind of representation, and a voice to sell on ebay. What about BOB. 

There is a duality in my eBay activities that is represented by my use of pronouns:

"I" is reserved for my own eBay activities, or for my personal opinions, thoughts, feelings, beliefs.

"We" is used when I'm referencing my job (Online Sales Manager) or the clients I consult with regarding eBay activities.  In these cases, we are doing things that I would not do because we make up our own minds, as do I, based on our own level of comfort.

I was selling online before the Internet even started allowing non-University access.  I may not be the best, and I surely don't want to be the biggest, but I do well enough at what I do that I can help others sort thru some of the hyperbole and make a more educated decision.  Most eventually outgrow the need for my assistance and merely want to chat about this or that.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 217 of 218
latest reply

I agree. Lets move on please. She wrote that a month ago.

Message 218 of 218
latest reply