cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worst Experience Ever- Do NOT Sell on eBay

I have sold things online using other sites, but I have never had such a terrible experience. 

I sold a phone to someone in Texas. It turned out to be a scam. They said something was wrong with the device and ebay granted them a full refund before I got the device back. Then it was discovered that they shipped the device to someone else.

So now, i am out of money and a phone. This all happened on April 21, its now May 4, for time reference. 

Someone at eBay realized the device was shipped somewhere else (after I reached out 2x) and granted me the appeal. They said id have my refund in 3-5 business days. Before the refund happens, eBay charges me an additional $36 out of the blue.

After day 6, I reached back out and got a response from a different person who types in broken English. "I understand that you won this case against the buyer and you are waiting for a refund. If you mean by refund is your funds being place on hold. Please be informed that your funds has been released." And st the bottom, the email said he hoped he resolved my issue. No. This gives me 0 information and I still don't have my money for the device I sold. So I messaged them back.

The next response i got was from yet another person. "Upon investigation, the refund of USD 378.88 has been processed last Apr 24, 2020 10:47 AM to your VISA card ending in 6579. Once a refund has been processed here on our end, the shortest time will be 24 to 48 hours. However, it will aways depend on your card company on when are they going to put it back on your account. For card companies, it usually takes one billing cycle to process it to your account. And that is something already beyond our control." This person blames the card company that i don't have my funds. The issue here? I DONT HAVE A VISA CARD. So I messaged back because this refund didn't go to me. "I understand that you want it to be processed right away. And as much as I want to, we don't have the access anymore to your bank account. I highly recommend you to contact your card company and confirm the transaction and ask for a specific date on when are they going to possibly put your funds back on your account." This person also blames the card company. So I respond and ask why it isn't being refunded to PayPal and that this isn't even my card.

Yet a different person. "After reviewing the details of this case, I see that your appeal was granted on April 25, 2020. Our system shows that the refund is still pending and would be completed in 10 days. Please contact PayPal to verify the refund." So now, the date has changed and the time frame has also changed. AND note that now, this is PayPals fault. I messaged back and said I'm beyond confused. None of these even say the same thing.

You got it, whole different person. "

As stated on the email, you are not required to reimburse eBay or the buyer however I was able to see that you were already been charged or you have already paid eBay the same day (April 24, 2020) and as you mentioned it was settled.

With the information gathered, we have to refund you and I have submitted a refund request to our correction team. I would ask for your patience because this would really take 7 to 10 days." He says with the information gathered we have to refund you... well, yes. Because it is MY money. 

I'm not holding my breath at this point. I dont want to, but I'm prepared to take this to small claims court. I'm now out the phone ($500 value) the funds ($378.88) a $20 refund i didn't even mention that id already given the buyer and the random $36 charge. This has been a terrible experience. Do not sell on ebay, you will lose everything. 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Worst Experience Ever- Do NOT Sell on eBay

@namebrands_4less  try using the ebay facebook page and message there for help. I've used it a few times and have had better results than the regular CS. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

So sorry this happened 2 u
By your post I can see this is a scam
I was able 2 pull up your listing
It does state that u do not accept returns
Did the buyer ever open up a return request in the resolution center?
If they did file a claim did u respond and accept the return?
I am thinking this is probably the reason the buyer was able 2 keep the phone and still get a refund
Again very sorry this happened 2 u eBay has very few real seller protection policies that In my opinion not very effective when needed
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

They initially asked for a $20 partial refund, that I granted. Then they asked for a full refund and ebay granted it to them.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Thank you

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Certainly sorry for the problems........  but understand that millions and millions of items are sold everyday on ebay.....with no problems.  To advise not to sell, probably not the best advice at least for alot of people.

Hope it gets worked out.......

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I am out  Almost $1000 in value and cash, during a pandemic where  Money is very hard to come by. I can suggest anything that I want at this point.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Just keep all those emails where they show their level of incompetence. It's how I finally got a situation resolved that eBay CS screwed up. You're actually better off that we have email CS these days. You've got proof, rather than "you just must not have understood" from the next person on the phone.

And just a quick FYI - the "random" $36 is most likely the final value fee that we all pay to eBay for selling on this platform. Most FVFs average about 9-10% of the total sale including any buyer paid shipping, that $36 is right in that range.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Try that Math again.

You are out half that - the phone. Money came from and went back to the buyer. You never had $1000 that was all yours.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply