cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Women's Item Specifics...really

I know there have been many complaints about the clothing item specifics lately.   Perhaps I just didn't fully appreciate it until trying to enter the size of a sweater this morning. 

A little background about me -- I'm a female, admit I have worn several different sizes so far in life, & don't shop much in stores any longer.    I just didn't realize there are now at least 98 different sizes available for me to wear.   It took me awhile to find "L" in the drop down box, because of the other ninety-seven options to pick from, or I could I could just use enter your own.Smiley Frustrated 

Really?

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Yeah it's gone completely bonkers.  What I do now is type the 'L' in the bar, let it show "L" as a result from the dropdown and click that one; don't just click 'enter' for the 'L' that I typed because (I think) that would result in it thinking I just made up a size and might not show up in search results.  

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Yep, it's a terrible mess.  I hope you post on that thread on the Tech Board.

I really feel for clothing sellers.......the # of item specifics/messed up choices, as you found, is just unbelievable and frankly, I don't understand why more aren't burning up that thread/board.........  The messed up choices.. L, Large repeated a couple of times.....who knows where the filters will pull from?  They can say both "required" & "additional", but what about the L, Large, 42 etc.......which should be chosen? 

And it's not just clothing.       

Message 3 of 35
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

Yep, it's a terrible mess.  I hope you post on that thread on the Tech Board.

I really feel for clothing sellers.......the # of item specifics/messed up choices, as you found, is just unbelievable and frankly, I don't understand why more aren't burning up that thread/board.........  The messed up choices.. L, Large repeated a couple of times.....who knows where the filters will pull from?  They can say both "required" & "additional", but what about the L, Large, 42 etc.......which should be chosen? 

And it's not just clothing.       

I hear you all... I have a few clothing items up also.  but I haven't figured out what the "rise" is yet in women's pants, lol.   ebay really … a rise in women's pants?   anyway, would someone let me know what the item specific rise is in relation to women's pants?

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

Rise is the distance from the crotch to the waist.

ie- low rise are those hipster pants.
Message 5 of 35
latest reply

rise is from the crotch seam to the top band of pants. People want to know this so they know where the waist band is going to hit them while wearing the pants/jeans. Some people don't like a waistband so low your bum crack is showing. Some like the waistband below their belly button. Some people like what everybody is referring to these days as "mom," jeans with the waistband coming up at the belly button or just past it.
Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Rise is the distance from the crotch to the waist.

ie- low rise are those hipster pants.

thank you... it just seemed weird to me (being a guy).  lol  so women's pants going to natural waist would be high rise?

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

LOL personally I'd call those "sits at waistline"

And just to complicate things further a lot of women like to know the rise at the front AND the back.

Kinda like men sometimes want to know if there's plenty of room for their junk.

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

understand now, just seems so much more exacting to list fem vs male clothing.  guess we guys just don't worry that much about it 😄

Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:

LOL personally I'd call those "sits at waistline"

And just to complicate things further a lot of women like to know the rise at the front AND the back.

Kinda like men sometimes want to know if there's plenty of room for their junk.

lol.  what if I just refer to the high-risers as horizon waisted?  would women get offended?

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

This is why I avoid listing clothing online like the plague.

I have 2 leather bike jackets I can't even figure out if they're men's or women's.
Message 11 of 35
latest reply

really though, thank you both, guess I did 'learned' something today! 😄
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
This is why I avoid listing clothing online like the plague.

I have 2 leather bike jackets I can't even figure out if they're men's or women's.

I have  a inlaid bike jacket in mint condition with a brand new set of chaps which are over-length, can't even get a nudge on them.  no blemishes on either, no faults.  to the point I just relist them and every 3-4 months I lower the price a little bit more (which is already far below what a bike shop would charge them)

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

A 'friend' just gave me half a dozen prom dresses (worn once and one still with the tags on) that sold for around $100 a pop. Looked them up and they're selling for around $25 (if that). Not worth the hassle - they'll get donated somewhere.
Message 14 of 35
latest reply

We had a clothing store. Open for decades. (Almost before any one here was alive, including us) 

We also had a tailor. 

And we yes, often measured "rise".

To our cringing dismay, with what we read here, we never used the words "crotch"  or "pit". (Underarm seam) 

When you are holding a tape measure at the center seam of a man's pants, one stays away from any words that could be deemed inappropriate .

Additionally, many  (most) people have one leg (arm) longer than another, many discrimatiing customers prefer that the item hangs exactly on each leg. So each needs to be measured.  

As to "junk", the standard question to a man is "on which side do you dress?" As that is considered in fit with length. (Sometimes shorts as well) 

With womens size, yes, rise is more of an issue than length.

We also carried  a "working man's" cut, Where a man's  thighs were  considerably bigger than the waist. ( necessary because bringing in the pockets too much, they can meet.) As that cut became harder to find, the back pockets had to be removed and replaced at a correct position).

And, the tailoring was mostly free. 

Really, if one prefers a very good fit, SOME items just are too hard to buy online. 

(Says one who has tried with mixed results) 

Message 15 of 35
latest reply