cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will folks not buy if

we ship using the USPS option of "signature required"? Someone has to be home to get the package.

We live in the sticks, USPS is our only shippng option.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Will folks not buy if

If it ups the cost of shipping/item they may not.It gains buyer nothing.

why would you use sig required on items totaling less than $750?.It's an unnecessary expense that gains you no additional seller protection over regular delivery confirmation.

This is a user to user board not eBay employees.
----------------------------------------------------------------
When people show you who they are, believe them
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@hobbystuff99   Are you saying this as a Seller?  If so you don't need to ship with Signature unless the item is $ 750 or higher.  Some Buyers prefer NOT to have the Signature requirement because they are not home during the day and what happens is the carrier is "supposed" to leave a note that the package can be picked up at the post office ... it can be an inconvenience at times.

If you are a Buyer requiring it that's different and you need to message the Seller PRIOR to Buying that you need that as part of the shipment.  It costs a couple of buckets and Sellers typically don't include that in their cost structure for items that don't require it.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

We sell live items. If our mailbox is 99F in the summer or -14 in the winter, those items would be killed. Our idea is to use "signature required" to force the mailman to ring the doorbell instead of dropping the item in the mailbox. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I like using the signature required on expensive / rare items. I will use it if I have a shipment over $250 or more. It just depends at times.

I just like having that comfort that the person will get it and not worry about that 1 in a million chance the package gets delivered to the wrong address or it is stolen off the porch and then I have to communicate with USPS, the buyer, eBay, and PayPal to resolve the issue in order to funds taken off hold.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

If you plan to use Signature Required for the reason you state, make sure you state it on the listing, so buyers will know ahead of time that someone needs to be home to sign for the package.  I would also send a message when the package ships reminding the buyer as well.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I ship everything above 100.00 S value with siggie conf. I have not had any buyer complain, yet... and I have return buyers. It is safer for buyers, also, because these packages are closer monitored than the normal "left in mailbox" type ones. I usually pay for the siggie conf. if the item was particularly expensive. Even if the buyer is at work or just not home at the time the delivery takes place, they can go to the USPS on SAT or after work. Now, if the mailman/ -woman fails to leave a note, as Mr. Lincoln says above, that is an entirely different story, but it never happened to my packages in over 22 years.

PW

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@hobbystuff99 wrote:

We sell live items.

If you're shipping live animals, these postal regulations might be of interest. Some address the mailing requirements.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_003.htm

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_003.htm

There are USPS publications on live plants, as well. I purchase live plants from eBay, and they're just mailed without signature confirmation. I watch the tracking for their arrival and grab them as soon as I can. I have received a couple that have been less than satisfactory but not because they sat on my porch--it's always been because of the length of shipping time or conditions encountered during shipping.

So, if I buy a live plant or animal from a seller who requires signature confirmation, what then? I get home from work, and there's a note on my door that USPS couldn't deliver a package. There's an extra day. Then let's say I can't get off work to pick up the package the next day. There's another day. And maybe this goes on until a Saturday, when I can be home to pick up the package. That's two or three or more extra days that the item hasn't been picked up. That sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Just be aware that not all people can be at home when their mail is delivered. Not all people have the luxury of leaving their jobs whenever they'd like to pick up a package. Many people live a goodly distance from the nearest postal facility.

I would never buy from a seller who requires signature confirmation, even if it's disclosed in their item description. (And I, personally, wouldn't buy an item on eBay that costs $750+.)

Message 8 of 8
latest reply