cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would ebay tick off half of their sellers?

In a couple of words....Good Til Canceled GTC goes up as one of the WORST policies ebay has implemented since I stared in 2000. Sales have declined. Which means LESS money for the greedy corporate bosses at ebay. Well done, nice job ebay!

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: Why would ebay tick off half of their sellers?

@spittser wrote:

You're giving buyers way too much credit. You're assuming they know how to use those filters much less even knowing they exist. Now, I'm not saying the buyers that shop here are stupid just that they are not that in tune with the site. As sellers, we're here everyday and see all the features and, hopefully, know all the ins and outs. Buyers go from one venue to another and they all have different looks and formats. eBay's search does not provide for an ease of use experience and many buyers give up and go elsewhere.

I completely and totally agree that we, sellers, are far more aware of the ins and outs and tangled webs of ebay than non-sellers, but, as a buyer I know how filters and drilling down works on other sites.

I didn't learn how to use filters because of my experience on ebay but because every site has some type of search filters.    I mean, I would know to look for the filters here because that's how every other site works.

However, I also agree that buyers here aren't stupid; it's ebay's search that is a mess and yes, buyers give up and go elsewhere.

mho

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 76 of 127
latest reply

@rappstradingpost wrote:
Agreed, one of the Worst policies. I juggle about 100 items of inventory and avoid a listing fee. My profit margin is pretty low on many items that will sit for months before selling. I can't afford to pay for auto relists. I switched some listings to auction format and already have a non-paying bidder to deal with. Ebay does little to discourage that problem too.

I've noticed the auctions are also auto relisted which is why I'm switching them back to FP.  

Message 77 of 127
latest reply

Can you elaborate on this? How was it hurting sellers?

I have always done 30 day listings so didn't pay any attention to the change from 10% but I am now forced to do auctions while I liquidate the rest of my inventory due to the gtc disaster. 

I was shocked that I had to make the buy it now price 30% higher than my starting bid so I didn't even bother adding it as there is no chance a buyer would pay it. 

Assuming most sellers put thier starting bid at their lowest price they can take, (not at eBay's recommended $0.99)  no one is going to pay 30% more. 

With the 10% price tag difference , some buyers would be willing  to pay a little more to 1, not have to wait for the auction to end and 2, not chance loosing it to someone else. 

What am I missing?

Message 78 of 127
latest reply

@gardeltango wrote:

@rappstradingpost wrote:
Agreed, one of the Worst policies. I juggle about 100 items of inventory and avoid a listing fee. My profit margin is pretty low on many items that will sit for months before selling. I can't afford to pay for auto relists. I switched some listings to auction format and already have a non-paying bidder to deal with. Ebay does little to discourage that problem too.

I've noticed the auctions are also auto relisted which is why I'm switching them back to FP.  

@gardeltango 

Sellers have the OPTION of having auctions auto relist.  There is a box that has to be checked off on the listing form.  YOu may want to look at how you filled out the form.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 79 of 127
latest reply

@disneyismysecondhome wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? How was it hurting sellers?

I have always done 30 day listings so didn't pay any attention to the change from 10% but I am now forced to do auctions while I liquidate the rest of my inventory due to the gtc disaster. 

I was shocked that I had to make the buy it now price 30% higher than my starting bid so I didn't even bother adding it as there is no chance a buyer would pay it. 

Assuming most sellers put thier starting bid at their lowest price they can take, (not at eBay's recommended $0.99)  no one is going to pay 30% more. 

With the 10% price tag difference , some buyers would be willing  to pay a little more to 1, not have to wait for the auction to end and 2, not chance loosing it to someone else. 

What am I missing?

I did explain it earlier.  Because the explanation I provided isn't something you agree with doesn't mean I didn't explain, it just means you don't agree and that is just fine.  It is why Ebay did it nonetheless.  

I do understand that this change back in 2013 [I think, not sure about that] hurt many sellers in the way they would list item.  But the change also helped lots of sellers.  Some sellers were pricing things too close to the auction price which drove down pricing overall on the site for those items.  Other sellers of that item or similar were having their prices driven down by this practice.  Lots of sellers complained about it here and elsewhere about the issue for a long period of time.  Ebay reacted and implemented the rule as it exists today.

I take no issue that there are lots of sellers that don't like the rule.  I respect that completely.  I hope you find a way to create your listings that work for you and that you have great sales.  

FYI, I'm not supporting Ebay's decision for this change one way or the other.  All I was doing was explaining it to you.  For me personally it doesn't affect me one way or the other, now or then.  It isn't a practice I've ever used on my listings.

Message 80 of 127
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I do understand that this change back in 2013 [I think, not sure about that] hurt many sellers in the way they would list item.  But the change also helped lots of sellers.  Some sellers were pricing things too close to the auction price which drove down pricing overall on the site for those items.  Other sellers of that item or similar were having their prices driven down by this practice.  Lots of sellers complained about it here and elsewhere about the issue for a long period of time.  Ebay reacted and implemented the rule as it exists today.

Can you further elaborate on this? Its not making sense to me. So Ebay implemented a policy because prices had gotten to low? Is this different than them telling us to "drop the price to make a sale".

I see what you wrote but the goal of how this helps anyone is where I am lost

Message 81 of 127
latest reply

Thank you. I didn't disagree with you explanation, I truly didn't see it. 

As I said, I never listed in auction format so I didn't follow it in the boards when it came out. Thanks for taking the time to answer. 

There has to be a happy medium somewhere, 30% is way to high but I can also see why 10% is too low. 

Message 82 of 127
latest reply

Thank you. I didn't disagree with you explanation, I truly didn't see it. 

As I said, I never listed in auction format so I didn't follow it in the boards when it came out. Thanks for taking the time to answer. 

There has to be a happy medium somewhere, 30% is way to high but I can also see why 10% is too low. 

Actually, I'm not sure Mam is being either accurate or honest. It may be due to a lack of memory so I will give her a pass but this change was "HATED" by many. There was an outcry from sellers similar to todays GTC outcry. Ebay forced it, sellers hated it, Ebay ignored them, the usual.

Actually the change had nothing to do with "prices getting to low" or whatever Mam said it was. It was Ebay trying to force people to use FIXED PRICE listings. In that day Ebay was pumping free auction listings like candy to people, who were then running auctions with BIN, essentially using a fixed price listing, with a free auction promo

Message 83 of 127
latest reply

@weschurch wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Can you further elaborate on this? Its not making sense to me. So Ebay implemented a policy because prices had gotten to low? Is this different than them telling us to "drop the price to make a sale".

I see what you wrote but the goal of how this helps anyone is where I am lost

Nope.  Maybe if you find it an important issue to discuss you may want to start a thread.  

Message 84 of 127
latest reply

Dang you certainly can be rude to other posters on threads.  I'm not sure why you have the need or desire to do that.  It certainly isn't necessary.  But I understand why you do it in the hopes of dismissing what I've said as you disagree with what I said.

For myself, I take no issue whatsoever with those that may disagree with me on one subject or another.  I have no problem respecting those that may have a different point of view than I have.  Over the years I've learn a lot from listening and carrying on a civil conversation with those that have a different point of view than I do.  

While it may not be something you believe, it has happened.  Due to the voices of sellers there have been changes Ebay has made off and on over the years.  Not a lot of them, but there certainly has been some.  Because this isn't something you believe does not make it any less true.  It simply means that you don't agree.  

Message 85 of 127
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Dang you certainly can be rude to other posters on threads.  I'm not sure why you have the need or desire to do that.  It certainly isn't necessary.  But I understand why you do it in the hopes of dismissing what I've said as you disagree with what I said.

For myself, I take no issue whatsoever with those that may disagree with me on one subject or another.  I have no problem respecting those that may have a different point of view than I have.  Over the years I've learn a lot from listening and carrying on a civil conversation with those that have a different point of view than I do.  

While it may not be something you believe, it has happened.  Due to the voices of sellers there have been changes Ebay has made off and on over the years.  Not a lot of them, but there certainly has been some.  Because this isn't something you believe does not make it any less true.  It simply means that you don't agree.  

Whoaa! Wait a second

I was simply asking for clarification to your original response to why Ebay charged  30% more for BIN's. 

You stated something about it was "lowering prices" and Ebay made a change because of that. What you said didn't make sense to me on how it was "lowering prices" so I asked for clarification.

You responded that you didn't need to clarify. Now I'm the rude one?

I'm just stating that your memory of how it went down may be fuzzy because from what I remember people were none to happy with that change and Ebays reasoning for doing it had nothing to do with prices dropping, as you stated, and was more to do with forcing Fixed Price on people. 

If I'm wrong I apologize, but when I asked you to elaborate you refused, so I can only assume you can't, or don't feel the need to , explain your statement.

Message 86 of 127
latest reply

@mam98031 

Respectfully... It appears that you are stating your OPINION of why ebay implemented this change, and stating it as fact.

Message 87 of 127
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

@mam98031 

Respectfully... It appears that you are stating your OPINION of why ebay implemented this change, and stating it as fact.

It is what Ebay said at the time.  If you want to call it my opinion, that is fine.  I don't take any issue with that.  If you disagree.  I'm fine with that too.  I was asked a question and I answered.  It doesn't matter to me if some agree and some don't.  I simply answered a question asked of me.  Nothing more.

Message 88 of 127
latest reply

Ok. Thank you. 

It will be interesting  to see if years from now the good till cancelled will get spun into "sellers asked for it" 

sadly a lot of sellers are leaving so we won't be around to see it. 

Message 89 of 127
latest reply

Ok. Thank you. 

It will be interesting  to see if years from now the good till cancelled will get spun into "sellers asked for it" 

sadly a lot of sellers are leaving so we won't be around to see it. 

Honestly I don't think there is much fear of that.  Clearly that would not be the case which is evidenced by the many threads and how upset, with good reason, many sellers are.

Ebay hasn't and doesn't claim that each change made is due to Sellers requesting the change.  But I must admit I've actually seen them use that excuse when it clearly appears not to be the case.  

Please don't misunderstand what I said.  I did not say or imply that this is a reason that Ebay uses all the time.  There has however been times when Ebay does actually hear the sellers and does make some changes that we like.  Unfortunately they are far and few between.  Often times taking very long periods of time to be implemented.

Message 90 of 127
latest reply