cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would ebay tick off half of their sellers?

In a couple of words....Good Til Canceled GTC goes up as one of the WORST policies ebay has implemented since I stared in 2000. Sales have declined. Which means LESS money for the greedy corporate bosses at ebay. Well done, nice job ebay!

Message 1 of 127
latest reply
126 REPLIES 126

Re: Why would ebay tick off half of their sellers?

@mam98031 wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@tamaralea wrote:

I was thinking more than half would be upset, but maybe only half of us have noticed the change.Smiley Wink

You may be surprised to know, but Ebay has over 25 million active sellers. thinking

I suspect eBay's "active sellers" number includes everyone who has ever listed anything on ebay. I would be willing to bet they have at least 100,000 "active sellers" who have been deceased for years.

You can Google the information for yourself and find active users.  The sites I've read the number on states that they gather their numbers from those that had been active sellers in the previous 90 day period.  

Membership on Ebay has also been growing.  The last few years I don't think it is at the rate Ebay or its sellers would like, but it is still growth.

I know that much of the negative comments just comes from the frustration some feel in regards to Ebay so they just throw stuff out there in hopes that it sticks.  But that doesn't make it true or accurate.

This information is available for all to see, just Google it if you have the desire to learn more.  If you don't, then just ignore it.  

OK, I'll go along with that. We can keep using that 25 million number from September, 2015. Strange that other stats have been updated more recently, but this one is stuck in limbo in 2015.

Message 46 of 127
latest reply

@hioctane62 wrote:

I have to chuckle (and challenge it) when someone starts a thread about their sales dying, and then some overconfident pro-ebay poster chimes in and says "no they didn't" because they can count 20 green numbers for March and 19 green numbers for February. To me it's hilarious to watch.

When I make a statement like that it is AFTER I check to see if the seller has any MQ listings, or is running any GTC listings (everybody does now but that is new).

Sellers of single items with 30 day (or shorter) listings DO reveal their sales when using the Sold filter.

I chuckle when sellers post that they haven't sold anything for x days yet they have clearly made sales that very day and the day before and the day before that. Or Sellers who claim they normally sell x number of items every day but the truth is that some days they sell x number but not every day as they claim.

Message 47 of 127
latest reply

That's great that you know the right way to check a seller's stats. I suspect that most of the more experienced posters here do know the right way. Many still don't take MQ listings into consideration and try to tell a poster they are outright lying, and end up looking like a fool without even realizing it. Many coming here looking for answers are turned off by the boards when posters immediately accuse them of lying or that they don't understand their own bottom line.

Message 48 of 127
latest reply

It may not be half yet but it sure will be when sellers who don't follow the updates get their first invoice with all the relist fees. 

Message 49 of 127
latest reply

@disneyismysecondhome wrote:

It may not be half yet but it sure will be when sellers who don't follow the updates get their first invoice with all the relist fees. 

That can only be correct if you are assuming that half the sellers don't already use GTC listings.  I personally don't think that is true.  80% of all FP listings prior to the 3/18 change were GTC listings.  So that means that 20% of those listings were 30 day or less FP listings.  

For your numbers to be correct, half the sellers would have to be representing 20% of the FP listings on Ebay.  

Don't get me wrong, I dispute the gross over statement of how many sellers are involved in this, NOT that the GTC mandate is significantly hurting some sellers.  I firmly believe that this mandate is hurting some casual and small sellers.  Some will be able to make GTC work for them and some won't.  It is a VERY serious issue for many sellers.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 50 of 127
latest reply

@purplerain123 wrote:

In a couple of words....Good Til Canceled GTC goes up as one of the WORST policies ebay has implemented since I stared in 2000. Sales have declined. Which means LESS money for the greedy corporate bosses at ebay. Well done, nice job ebay!

All changes are for the benefit of eBay not it's buyers or sellers.

Some GREEDY eBay person believes that the only GTC fixed price listings will INCREASE FEE, A LOT.

They have decided that most seller are either too dumb or lazy to end their GTC listings before they roll over.  Thousands, many millions of non-selling listing rolling over for maybe millions of dollars a month.

FEES!  That's what eBay is all about.

Selling?  Not so much.

Message 51 of 127
latest reply

Well he's not the only one and I have been selling since 2000! 😞  I guess I still have a lot to learn also!! 

Message 52 of 127
latest reply

They have ticked me off,I am a tiny seller I sell maybe 4 -6 knives a month.I don't nor do I wish to have a store. Sales for this year have been dismal had a good holiday season. Someone made the comment the other day sellers also purchase on E bay and that helps to keep E bay sales up. Unless I desperately need a hard to find item I will be going elsewhere. They want to get rid of tiny/small sellers, do the math $30 in fees paid by 1000 sellers = $30,000 a month just an example  if the 1000 sellers quit E bay they would lose that amount. Another thing ticked me off a few years ago when they got rid of the 10% Buy it Now policy that was to benefit the store owners. We can vent all we want nothing will change until we stop selling and buying on this site.

Message 53 of 127
latest reply

@sharp_edgeknives wrote:

They have ticked me off,I am a tiny seller I sell maybe 4 -6 knives a month.I don't nor do I wish to have a store. Sales for this year have been dismal had a good holiday season. Someone made the comment the other day sellers also purchase on E bay and that helps to keep E bay sales up. Unless I desperately need a hard to find item I will be going elsewhere. They want to get rid of tiny/small sellers, do the math $30 in fees paid by 1000 sellers = $30,000 a month just an example  if the 1000 sellers quit E bay they would lose that amount. Another thing ticked me off a few years ago when they got rid of the 10% Buy it Now policy that was to benefit the store owners. We can vent all we want nothing will change until we stop selling and buying on this site.

The GTC mandate has nothing to do with having a Store or not having a store.  

If Ebay did not want tiny or small sellers, there simply would not be any.  They don't have to change policy to accomplish that.  They could simply gate the community.  

I am sorry you are having a difficult time in figuring out how you can work within this huge change.  It is extremely difficult for some seller, there is no doubt of that.  

In what format did you usually list your items?  

As to the Buy it Now percentage.  While it may have been working well for you, there were many many sellers it was damaging.  It was the outcry of sellers that got Ebay to change this policy.  Too many sellers were using it in a way that damaged and influenced how items were priced in a negative way for many sellers.  So they increase the percentage so sellers couldn't do that any more.  The community has benefited overall because of that change.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 54 of 127
latest reply

I beg to differ with you about having a store or not with GTC,stores do not run 7 day fixed price listing as I have always done. I think stores get more visibility in listings than folks without a store. So now I must compete head to head with knife stores puts me at a definite disadvantage.

The 10% change only benefited as I said stores,buyers had an option BIN or bid on it.

Message 55 of 127
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@weschurch wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@tamaralea wrote:

I was thinking more than half would be upset, but maybe only half of us have noticed the change.Smiley Wink

You may be surprised to know, but Ebay has over 25 million active sellers. thinking

I suspect eBay's "active sellers" number includes everyone who has ever listed anything on ebay. I would be willing to bet they have at least 100,000 "active sellers" who have been deceased for years.

Completely true. More Ebay fluff. If they have that many active users I wonder what the other 24,500 million users spend there time doing here to be "active". Maybe they are actively avoiding this place. More Ebay spin

You continue to throw out numbers and the such but when asked for support, you never provide it.  Why is that?

BTW, I didn't say Ebay had "24,500 million users", so if you want to use something I said, please do it accurately.  What I said was there are over 25 million active seller worldwide.  If you want the active users of Ebay, that would be 180 million worldwide.  Again these numbers are available for you to see if you just Google it.

Does Ebay provide you a script to read from? Seriously. 

I don't care how many active users they have, the bottom line is sales are down for most, Ebay is struggling to grow (fact), and other marketplaces are eating their lunch. Theirs a whole big World Wide Web full of articles stating Ebays current condition is poor. I suppose you believe Ebay makes changes that are "good for sellers" as well?

Message 56 of 127
latest reply

@sharp_edgeknives wrote We can vent all we want nothing will change until we stop selling and buying on this site.

Thats pretty much already happened

Message 57 of 127
latest reply

Actually, it doesn't work for Amazon either. Amazon's sellers are all broke! Their profits are practically non-existent. A lot of sellers on both platforms are fed up, and its the whole reason we're seeing more and more independent e-commerce sites popup across the web. This is the direction I'm heading myself; cut out as much third-party reliance as possible, bring all operations in house, and operate my business from my own website.

The costs of an independent e-commerce solution with a dedicated domain, year round website hosting, unlimited listings, 2% payment processing fees, and the same commercial shipping rates has a cost of about $40 a month. That's what I was offered recently, and I'm taking it. Best of all, there's no paypal with 180 million year returns, and there's no ebay trying to dictate how I run my business.

as for ebay, the situation here is rapidly deteriorating, and I know what to expect.

Message 58 of 127
latest reply

If that is the way E bay is moving They are nuts NO One will browse thru say a few hundred of Case knives to find that one They want.

Message 59 of 127
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Actually, it doesn't work for Amazon either. Amazon's sellers are all broke! Their profits are practically non-existent. A lot of sellers on both platforms are fed up, and its the whole reason we're seeing more and more independent e-commerce sites popup across the web. This is the direction I'm heading myself; cut out as much third-party reliance as possible, bring all operations in house, and operate my business from my own website.

The costs of an independent e-commerce solution with a dedicated domain, year round website hosting, unlimited listings, 2% payment processing fees, and the same commercial shipping rates has a cost of about $40 a month. That's what I was offered recently, and I'm taking it. Best of all, there's no paypal with 180 million year returns, and there's no ebay trying to dictate how I run my business.

as for ebay, the situation here is rapidly deteriorating, and I know what to expect.

@gamersbaystore wrote:

You are right about the rapid deterioration. I'm not sure at this pace if Ebays is going to be around much longer.  I expect it to be sold off sooner than later

Message 60 of 127
latest reply