cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there a time limit to edit posts here and . . . .

why is that time limit so short? Anybody know?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why is there a time limit to edit posts here and . . . .

It's there to expose my speeling errors when I forget to do a spell check.

If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful. If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click "Accept as Solution."

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

It's there to expose my speeling errors when I forget to do a spell check.

If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful. If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click "Accept as Solution."

"If you found my reply useful, please give it a Helpful.

If my response assisted in resolving your question, please click Accept as Solution."

nana-nana-boo-boo
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

LOL I knew it. They just want to see if we are always on our toes, functioning at 100% - with or without coffee.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

It's five minutes and it's to keep people from changing the content of posts after replies start if they don't like those replies.  Editing a post can completely change the context of the thread.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

It's five minutes and it's to keep people from changing the content of posts after replies start if they don't like those replies.  Editing a post can completely change the context of the thread.

Fair enough. Your reply makes perfect sense. I do like it when things make sense.

I have been on many, many, many internet message boards, and never have i seen such a short editing time limit. This board is also monitored more strictly than any other message board on the internet - including Facebook.

Of course, Facebook is much larger than this board, and probably much more difficult to manage. People have posted some pretty crazy stuff on Facebook and YouTube, that you would never get away with here.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

There was a time when posts couldn't be edited at all, so if a mistake was made it had to stay there, or ask a mod to remove the post.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@best_vintage_photos wrote:

I have been on many, many, many internet message boards, and never have i seen such a short editing time limit.

Most boards that have edit limits usually set it around 15 minutes, but I have seen some that are 5.  Some have a two step system where the 'Edited:' flag doesn't show within X minutes, but will later, or if there has been a reply before the edit.

That's also why I got in the habit of quoting the part of the post I was replying to, just in case it was edited while I was typing (which I do very slowly and with many errors I often have to correct).

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

@best_vintage_photos wrote:

I have been on many, many, many internet message boards, and never have i seen such a short editing time limit.

Most boards that have edit limits usually set it around 15 minutes, but I have seen some that are 5.  Some have a two step system where the 'Edited:' flag doesn't show within X minutes, but will later, or if there has been a reply before the edit.

That's also why I got in the habit of quoting the part of the post I was replying to, just in case it was edited while I was typing (which I do very slowly and with many errors I often have to correct).

I don't ever have many typos to edit. Most of the time, it may be just an additional thought or point i wanted to include in the post. If you can't edit, then it simply gets included in your next post - that's all.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Hey, no begging for points.
"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 9 of 9
latest reply