cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is eBay hiding descriptions again?

Seems eBay is hiding descriptions again and making buyers click a 'Show More' button to see it. Can anyone explain what the benefit of hiding the seller's description might be? We just go through the effort of making that so they don't see it? It's already bad enough that so many people don't read anyway.

They experimented with this before and I thought it resulted in problems. 

hide.jpg

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

@gear-house 

I was seeing the same thing on listings today. eBay must be rolling out a trial that only some buyers can see.  When I look at your listing, see the same thing you show in your screenshot.  Most eBay listings are a few lines of text. Listings with HTML appear to display what you are showing.

For instance, here are some test listings of mine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223271911350  (html - requires scrolling - show more )

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384951647014 (html - fits within window, fades some - no button to show more)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/385464980374 ( text only, but starts to fade out on third line - no button).

shipscript_0-1678255799968.png

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 16 of 61
latest reply

Sometimes I'm presented with the quick-view, sometimes I'm able to just click into the listing itself - more often I can just click into the view itself, but I have definitely seen the quick-view that @gear-house describes. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 17 of 61
latest reply

This is not the quick view pop up. It's a change to the description area of the full listing view.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 18 of 61
latest reply

@chapeau-noir 

This is your listing:

shipscript_0-1678259196615.png

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 19 of 61
latest reply

@shipscript 

FWIW

I checked the three links for test listings you posted, all three looked fine, i checked with both Firefox and chrome.

eBay must be rolling out a trial that only some buyers can see.

Definitely seems that way!

Message 20 of 61
latest reply

My Purchase History page has changed also.  I have to click on various links to see things that used to be all on one page.  I hate it.

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@gear-house wrote:

LOL, I know what I'm looking at, I've been on eBay for over 20 years and wouldn't be complaining about this if it wasn't the listing page. Here's a screenshot of the page/ link you just sent me.  Maybe you just aren't seeing it, it's possible they are using some accounts as tests for this new feature they are trying.  It looks this way for every page I visit on eBay, not just my own.

Then my apologies.

I've looked at that listing from 2 different computers and 2 different accounts.

Mine shows everything and DOES NOT have that "show more" link.

Anybody else?

Does anybody else see that "show more" link if you go to this URL?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275570351552

@wastingtime101 I did a few tests about this and this is what I found out. I used two different accounts.

iPhone 12, iOS 14.6

Safari and Chrome with both accounts did not run into this "show more" issue. I made sure to open the desktop classic sites and not mobile.

iPad Pro iOS 15.7

Safari and Chrome with both accounts DID run into this "show more" issue.

Laptop PC Win10

Firefox110 and Chrome 111 on both accounts DID run into this "show more" issue.

When you click on the "show more", you see the listing expand itself and the "show more" button turns into a "show less". When you click the "show less", the description truncates itself back to how it was at default. One other thing I noticed is that with both accounts, some listings still got truncated BUT there was no "show more" button found. Rather than have that button, you see a scrollbar on the far right margin of the description. Shown below for a random listing I found https://www.ebay.com/itm/394437457769 .

Screenshot 2023-03-08 02.55.47.png

Do you guys see the same thing for this listing? Unfortunately for this seller's listing, a size chart is shown below where it says "unisex sizing" that I'm sure most buyers will be even more less likely to see because you have to scroll down using that scrollbar.

Also it gets worse for the iPad because there isn't even a scrollbar being shown. So for this listing on an iPad, no "show more" button, and no scrollbar. Yet the size chart is still down there.

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

These ridiculous tests of obviously bad ideas are why ebay has such a huge problem with seller and buyer retention. It annoying to be in a constant state of flux.  All we want to do is buy and sell- not be continually trying to figure out how to find descriptions.

"See more" buttons are NEVER a good idea- they require more work to access info- that is what is called a roadblock to efficiency.  That is what happened to the new listing tool and with all the feedback has slowly reverted back away from all the see more popup boxes......because they suck!

At this point- there are no new innovations to web design.......the industry is well established and knows what works best- all they have to do is listen and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

It shows what the state of the company is in- they think that changing from scroll bars to see more buttons instead of just showing the information will improve sales??- but the obvious and plain as the nose on your face answer is just fix the search engine to show people what they type in the search box!   Ebay is just ignoring the biggest problem they have- over manipulated, irrelevant search that effectively hides listings from view when searched.  We cant buy what we cant find.-  still must use google to see active ebay listings.  I am confused by this logic

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

@siamjane8 wrote:

These ridiculous tests of obviously bad ideas are why ebay has such a huge problem with seller and buyer retention. It annoying to be in a constant state of flux.  All we want to do is buy and sell- not be continually trying to figure out how to find descriptions.

"See more" buttons are NEVER a good idea- they require more work to access info- that is what is called a roadblock to efficiency.  That is what happened to the new listing tool and with all the feedback has slowly reverted back away from all the see more popup boxes......because they suck!

At this point- there are no new innovations to web design.......the industry is well established and knows what works best- all they have to do is listen and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

It shows what the state of the company is in- they think that changing from scroll bars to see more buttons instead of just showing the information will improve sales??- but the obvious and plain as the nose on your face answer is just fix the search engine to show people what they type in the search box!   Ebay is just ignoring the biggest problem they have- over manipulated, irrelevant search that effectively hides listings from view when searched.  We cant buy what we cant find.-  still must use google to see active ebay listings.  I am confused by this logic

YEP!  Everyday you see some kind of mind numbing changes, tweaks. 

The "SHOW MORE" in the description come and goes.  Also, the NEW feedback page jumps you to the feedback page with a few FBs, and you have to click to show the FB normal page, the buyer's purchases page does NOT show feedback icons anymore, and on and on of tweaks, changes.  

Instead of the KISS principle, it's the MAKE IT DIFFICULT and cumbersome for BOTH the buyers and sellers.

But if revenue, users, buyers, sellers starts to drop like flies. eBay will raise their fees, add fees; just like the government raise taxes, add new taxes, when revenue is needed.

This is the typical buyer, seller user looking at the tweaks, changes on ebay:

GIF_picard-patrick-stewart.gif

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@chapeau-noir 

This is your listing:

shipscript_0-1678259196615.png

I'm seeing something different to that.  It's a completely missing description with "Show More".

I agree that ebay is running tests.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 61
latest reply

when I follow that link I still see the show more button.  It is happening to all of the items I looked at for the past several days.  I run on Chrome

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 26 of 61
latest reply

@wastingtime101 “

iPad Pro iOS 15.7

Safari and Chrome with both accounts DID run into this "show more" issue.”

I have Ipad PRO 12” and mine is running padOS (16.3.1)  not ios and this is what it looks like 0F1DBB29-F874-4B36-AA13-53C2E90F80D3.jpegC046C182-9A05-4F2B-B55E-51D2424B3A8F.jpeg

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

And I have to verify myself and go through captchas when i want to look at buyer profile and feedback.

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

I'm here because I saw the same thing and googled "ebay show more button" and quickly found this thread. Add me to the list of people that HATE this new feature. There's also a convenient "tell us what you think!" button on each page. I clicked it, gave 1/5 stars, and told them to get rid of this "show more" button. I don't need more clicks to see things. I have a scroll wheel for this.

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

@partfinds wrote:

@wastingtime101 “

iPad Pro iOS 15.7

Safari and Chrome with both accounts DID run into this "show more" issue.”

I have Ipad PRO 12” and mine is running padOS (16.3.1)  not ios and this is what it looks like 

You were crystal clear you have no interest in anything I have to say so I don't know why you tagged me.

I was the first person on this thread to validate what the OP said and confirm there was a good chance it was a test. On the other thread about this topic an eBay rep confirmed they are testing a few different description views.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 30 of 61
latest reply