cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why have my sales dropped so drastically?

steph38240
Adventurer

Hi everyone,

For some reason my sales have dropped TERRIBLY within the past month. I seem to never get offers anymore (even though all of my listings DO allow offers) and instead the only sales I seem to make are the ones I send an offer out on. According to my Performance stats my quantity sold comparing this month to the previous month has dropped 61.5%. My impressions have actually gone up 23.4% and page views have dropped only slightly.

I've been listing the same types of items as usual (I focus on clothing) and pretty much the same quantity as usual. 

Does anybody have any idea what might be going on?? I was really starting to enjoy the income from eBay and am really missing it now. I don't understand how I was doing so well for awhile and now my sales have literally dropped 60% for seemingly no reason.

I would appreciate ANY input, thanks so much!

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Re: Why have my sales dropped so drastically?

My sales have completely stopped. I sell a variety of items. My account was suspended for 7 days so that didn't help matters. I am signed up for MP (not willingly mind you). But my MP billing hasn't changed over yet. I was selling my cleaning products everyday non-stop. Now half of my listings cannot be found while others are missing information that I know were there before. I am so discouraged as I am sure most of us are. I am going to see how this first round of MP payments go then make a decision whether to keep my store or not. I am not a "high roller" so I cannot afford to hang in there without any sales. 

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

I registered for managed payments on Aug 6, but will not get switched over until September. Since registering, I too have seen a massive overall drop in sales. At first I was seeing alternating days of very high sales, then extremely low sales, but the last several days have all been low. I don't know if this is a coincidence or if it actually has to do with managed payments. 

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

@steph38240   Experiencing the same thing here with sales that drastically plunged.   Very small seller, but April/May/June was unprecedented for us in terms of the number of sales.  It was terrific!  May was the highest month of those 3 months.  July was decent also, although not as busy.  Now, today, August 14, 2020, we have had only FOUR (4) sales so far this month.

It's difficult to get motivated when sales are ultra-slow.  Four sales in 2 weeks is beyond the pale and it feels like we're in a deep dark well.  It may be because of what the other posters said, that people have run out of discretionary funds and are hunkering down and purchasing only the essentials.  But I agree that it feels like there's something more happening.  We're desperately trying to climb out of the well and just pushing it to keep going one step at a time.

Best of luck to you!  And to all of us!

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

Hmm after a strong March to mid-July followed by a crash back to normal summer (which is slow) I am getting sales again a little stronger than normal but not the pandemic surge of the spring.

One thing I have noticed is that while almost all my spring sales were domestic (which for me is Canada) but my newer sales are more and more to the USA.  I was thinking that the Canadian CERB payments ($2000 a month) were part of this, but your government was also extending unemployment payments too?  

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

I would think it is coincidence, but my sales AND views have been way down since approval for managed payments.  I'm not in MP yet, but was recently approved.  They aren't just down a little - it is a huge drop.  When I list items, I should get ~$1,000-1,500 in sales that day or next day.  Now, I'm at around $300.  

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

I sell pretty regularly on another site.  I've added a third site (one i used in the past) and am debating number 4.

On those sites I sell every day, here, I have no sales.   No watchers, no nothing.  I don't know why, but I no longer care.

Luckily, eBay let me out of my store at no cost or complaint.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 36 of 50
latest reply

Hello @reallynicestamps and it's great that your sales are increasing again!  The term Pandemic Surge should be coined because it sure appears to be accurate as to what happened.  As for UI payments, I believe it's still in the works, although I haven't checked the news today.  They're still talking about another stimulus check of $1,200, and also about $400 pandemic unemployment assistance (as opposed to the previous $600), but as far as I know it's still not signed/sealed.  Congrats again!!

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

My sales have been steady.

Sales seem to come in "spurts".  There are busy times and slow times.

Hopefully things will pick up for you.

Good luck and stay safe.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 38 of 50
latest reply

When I am creating a listing, I weigh the item packaged and compare shipping rates. That way the shipping is accurate.  There are limitations on size and weight on first class.  Some time it is less to ship in a flat rate box or envelope.  These are available at the  post office or go to USPS site, start an account, some (most) shipping supplies are free, and delivered to your address.  

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

I sell mainly clothing too and I can't help you, but I am in the same boat.  I took my store down temporarily in December because of USPS not being reliable and started putting things up again right after Christmas and was doing well.  These last two weeks, things have been moving very slow despite having more items in my store than I did a few weeks ago and consistently adding more.  It seems like an on/off switch occurs where things will suddenly shut down or pick up.  After 4th of July through August was dreadful for me (and significantly slower than last summer), September and October were great.  Things can go from good to bad (or bad to good) with not much change in what I am doing.  My click through and sell through rate now is about half of what it was in the fall.    I would also get 4-7 new items with watchers a day, now I am lucky to get 2.

Message 40 of 50
latest reply

my theory is due to the uncertainty of what has been transpiring in the last few month that people are being very cautious to what their priorities are  and are waiting to see what happens and buying a whole lotta stuff might not be one of them at the moment.  a lot of people cant make their rent  &  are having trouble putting food on the table. a whole lot of people dont have a job anymore. its all about priorities.   no money, no extra frills.  on the bright side people are going to get stimulated again. hope they use it wisely

Message 41 of 50
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hadn't had any sales in days, but I got two today. 🙂 It seems like lately I'm getting the picky peeps that want to ask a ton of questions, request extra pics, want discounts, etc. These are the people that ping my fraud radar. Luckily, most of them don't ever go on to buy. I'd rather have nobody than have the ones that will very likely try to pick out some tiny flaw to get a refund. 

Message 42 of 50
latest reply

oh you use  fraud radar.  i tried to buy that one but couldnt afford it.  so i had to settle for  my sense of smell.  it doesnt cost me anything an so far works like a charm

Message 43 of 50
latest reply

@steph38240 wrote:

(I focus on clothing)

You answered your own question. I would guess 90% of those that come here saying sales are slow are clothes sellers. Just too many out there trying to make a buck. Clothes are the easiest thing to find for resale.

Message 44 of 50
latest reply

I have looked at my shipping settings and have not changed.  My sales have just stopped.  Like you, I thought much of mine was from Covid but now, I realize the election has had a lot to do with it.  The Biden administration is very unpredictable.   People are being very frugal.

I thought it was just my sales.  I am glad that it is not just mine.  It makes me sad for all of us.  

Sometimes I had wondered if people have gone to Shopify or even Wal-marts's new third party.  However, Wal-mart has had third party or drop shipping for years, now.

Good Luck to us all.

Message 45 of 50
latest reply