cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why eBay will loose me as a seller

I am seriosly considering whether eBay ios the right platform for me to sell my products. I sell for about $50k a year. ie ebay is making about $5k from me. 

I have recently had a buyer who opened a return case against me as he claimed that the item arrived "damaged". He provided photos of the socalled damages. The damaged relates to a security feauture of the product and marks left from a moulding process. Both are clearly described on the manufacturer's website and are not damages. However, ebay decided to side with the buyer and considered the product a damaged product.

Lesson learned. Need to ensure that instead of having short and consise listing descriptions I need to have very long and complicated listing descriptions with terms of purchases where I bacially  set out terms and conditions against as much as possible feasible.

As the same time, I will start looking for other venues to sell my products

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Why eBay will loose me as a seller

I'm really unsure as to why you're on the eBay selling discussion board if you'll never sell here.  I also think saying people in a 3rd world country have marginal brain power.  The Filipinos that work in call centers are, for the most part, highly educated and making a good wage for that part of the world.  Are there language issues and accents, certainly.  Are there voluminous policies that they must grasp, yes.  Are there sellers who might call them and be dissatisfied the call doesn't go there way and complain.  Most definitely.  And yes, MOST sellers on eBay are honest and take very good care of their customers.  So, we don't need to reach out to support often.  Good luck selling on whatever marketplace you believe is better.  

Message 31 of 33
latest reply

Heres the thing. If you omit flaws in a used item they can be used against you to return it. Better to just mention any flaws in the item when you list however minor. That way you can explain that its "as described" and show the listing to EBAY if there is an issue with the buyer wanting to return it.  Another  good CYA is to put "as pictured" in your listing if the flaw is visible. If the buyer balks you tell them its "as pictured" and "as descibed" etc.

Message 32 of 33
latest reply

I've been selling off and on since the late 90s. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to call eBay customer support.

So many around here call more on one issue than I have in my entire seller career.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 33 of 33
latest reply