cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does seller pay shipping when buyer also pays?

I sold a sleeping bag for $115. The buyer paid shipping which was $23. The buyer paid $138 total. I was paid $120- $18(ebay shipping discount). The total sum paid out to me was $102. 
Why am I paying for a shipping label out of my payout when the buyer also pays? eBay is taking shipping costs twice.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Why does seller pay shipping when buyer also pays?

When a listing says that the buyer pays for shipping, that just means the buyer isn't being offered "Free" shipping. When a buyer pays for shipping, the money goes to the seller and then the seller actually purchases the postage.  

The buyer's entire payment goes to you.  The amount that was deducted is the final value fee, not the shipping cost. 

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Nope, you are paying SELLING FEES. That's what eBay is deducting from the payment to you. YOU have to buy the label to SHIP the item. Hence the buyer is paying for shipping, and YOU have to buy a label to ship it. 

The buyer pays for shipping, which payment for that shipping is given to YOU. The YOU buy the actual label and send the item to them. 

Buyer pays shipping, but they are paying that cost to YOU. You in turn have to buy the label to ship. 

The only thing eBay is taking from the sale, are their FEES they charge you, to sell on their platform. The money they took, is the FEE to sell here. It's based on a percentage of the price + shipping you charge. They also charge a 30 cent transaction fee, for processing electronic payments. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

The buyer paid $138, and you only received $102? You need to re-check those numbers. eBay's fee should have been between $17 and $19 (depending on the amount of sales tax), so you should have received at least $119.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@releasethekraken_1 wrote:

The buyer paid $138, and you only received $102? You need to re-check those numbers. eBay's fee should have been between $17 and $19 (depending on the amount of sales tax), so you should have received at least $119.

The shipping label was taken out of that also when the OP printer the label(18.00). 

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

We're starting to charge more for item, explaining to buyer that after fee's, we need to actually receive what we expected... Therefore up to them to pay alittle more so that we're all happy! Otherwise, yes I get frustrated as well. And they also wait forever to deduct payment for labels. I just got notified that they're about to take $397 from account. Weekly do they even wait? Why isn't it taken out immediately? Anyone?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

If you use UPS. Fedex or eBay international standard, you are charged either when the package is scanned at their depot or when it is delivered.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If you have any more questions, you might want to start your own thread. This one is over a year old so will likely be closed soon.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

That is probably pretty close to being correct. Assuming the buyer was in a state with 6% sales tax your FVF would have been calculated on to total transaction amount of $146.82 which would be a $19.17 FVF. That would leave you with a pending payout of $127.65 before you purchased the shipping label. If the label actually cost $23 then your payout would be $127.65 - $23 or $104.65. I am assuming you are having eBay deduct the FVF's and the cost of the shipping label from your pending payout. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Dang it I constantly miss that. Thank you for reminding me. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Not quite sure why you feel the need to explain your pricing strategy to buyers. Clearly buyers know you are setting your prices to reflect some profit. Otherwise, what would be the point? Probably best to just list without a detailed explanation.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Oops, necro thread.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began, we have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread HERE.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply