cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does ebay keep suspending my account with no reason given?

Hello, We are a new seller. We haven't even had a transaction yet. I tried listing a new item but eBay did not allow me because they did not verify our identity. I contacted the support team and they asked for some documents like bank statements, driver's license, etc. I provided them but got an e-mail that says that we restricted your account. We are a legal company that is operated in US and having EIN and ITIN numbers and we are paying taxes to IRS. We also sell on Amazon for 2 years. I did not understand why eBay restricted our account. There is no reason.

Hello

Thank you for getting back to eBay regarding the status of your account and for providing the information we requested in order to review your account further.

Building a trusted marketplace is our first priority. As such, we restrict or suspend any account that poses a risk to that trust. After carefully examining your account, based on the information and activity on the account and our assessment with the information you provided, we cannot be able to grant your appeal request. This restriction is permanent. You will not be able to participate in any buying and selling activities on eBay.

Please note this decision cannot be appealed anymore. For your security, we'll destroy all of the documents you submit since decision has already been made on your appeal.

We wish you success on your future endeavor. Stay well and stay safe.

Kind Regards,

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Why does ebay keep suspending my account with no reason given?

@rare_collectibles_toys wrote:

We are a legal company that is operated in US and having EIN and ITIN numbers and we are paying taxes to IRS.

Obviously eBay is the only place that can tell you the REAL reason ... but there are two possibilities I can think of:

1. The address, phone number, name, or other identifying information is similar to, or exactly matches, a previous account that has had problems and has been banned.
  2. You supplied an EIN and an ITIN????   That might be the problem.  If you are personally in the US, then it is possible that eBay does not want to authorize accounts of US-based people who supply an ITIN rather than an SSN, since US-based people with an ITIN are not typically authorized to work in the US.  (A foreign business with an ITIN would likely be OK).  If you look at the required documents for opening an account, a SSN is required, and an ITIN is not mentioned as an alternative.

This is, of course, just speculation.  I know #1 can cause an account to not be authorized ... not at all sure about #2.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

There is no reason.

@rare_collectibles_toys 

Actually, there is a reason, but eBay will not give that information to you.  The 'form' letter you were provided has apparently been sent to many people over the last few weeks as reported here frequently.  This is a user board composed of buyers and sellers, not eBay employees that can actually look at your problem and help.  Hopefully, however, there is a chance that someone else solved the problem and can provide information on how it was accomplished. 

Fortunately, eBay is no longer the "only act in town" for selling anymore, and perhaps you can find another venue that will welcome your business. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

keep  suspending,,,,,   

When one account is suspended all your accounts are suspended. This account will go poof.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

We have only one account. We didn't sell on ebay before. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

We have only one account. We didn't sell on ebay before. 

The question is, who is "we?"

Because if any of "you" ever sold on eaby before from that address, that IP, that phone number, perhaps that bank account AND that account got suspended, then all future accounts that can be linked to the original suspended account will be suspended as well.

Yes, it is possible this is all a big mistake.

It has been my experience from reading these boards over the years, about half of these cases like yours are no mistake but the original error happened so long ago that all recollection of such has been lost. It is also quite possible you didn't make the mistake but someone else related or connected to you did, and then there is the half of these cases where it truly is just a mistake on eaby's part.  But this is all assumption on my part, I do not know what could have caused it anymore than you do.

You may have to contact ebay's trust and safety department.

You may have to go through considerable trouble to get your account cleared up.

You may find this trouble isn't worth it, I do not know.

You may want to try their Facebook group.

That is all I know.

Good luck

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

'we' is our business. Anyway, we don't want to sell on eBay anymore. if they told a reason, we could solve it. In this situation, it is a waste of time completely. We want to only sell on platforms that will respect our business like amazon, Walmart Shopify. Thank you everyone.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

'we' is our business. Anyway, we don't want to sell on eBay anymore. if they told a reason, we could solve it. In this situation, it is a waste of time completely. We want to only sell on platforms that will respect our business like amazon, Walmart Shopify. Thank you everyone.

We understand that.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Good luck with that.  

You're going to have a hard time selling on amazon if you don't have invoices, TIN, business license, verifiable bank account and credit card(s PLURAL).  

There's no traffic at WM or shopify.  

You can't even pass ebay's easy system.  

So goodluck, goodbye.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

We are a legal company that is operated in US and having EIN and ITIN numbers and we are paying taxes to IRS

Managed payments requires every piece of information match exactly - names and addresses.  The checking account has to be a business account under the business name at the business address and all has to match up with the EIN and ITIN information from the IRS.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

We are a legal company that is operated in US and having EIN and ITIN numbers and we are paying taxes to IRS.

Obviously eBay is the only place that can tell you the REAL reason ... but there are two possibilities I can think of:

1. The address, phone number, name, or other identifying information is similar to, or exactly matches, a previous account that has had problems and has been banned.
  2. You supplied an EIN and an ITIN????   That might be the problem.  If you are personally in the US, then it is possible that eBay does not want to authorize accounts of US-based people who supply an ITIN rather than an SSN, since US-based people with an ITIN are not typically authorized to work in the US.  (A foreign business with an ITIN would likely be OK).  If you look at the required documents for opening an account, a SSN is required, and an ITIN is not mentioned as an alternative.

This is, of course, just speculation.  I know #1 can cause an account to not be authorized ... not at all sure about #2.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Every legal business must meet these policies. We are happy with amazon. Thank you.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply