cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does Ebay want to change/decide everyone's calculated shipping settings?

Just received an email from Ebay stating that on May 15 they are going to change shipping settings for everyone who uses calculated shipping. They have decided that it is our best interest to offer our shipping discounts to our buyers directly. This will attract more buyers to your listings. You have to use Ebay labels though.

That option has been there for a long time already. I thought about doing it previously, but decided against it.

Hold on dear overlords. Why couldn't you just treat all sellers as if they have some sense. Send an improve your listing message instead. I get those to become a top rated plus by having 1 day handling time. A message with a link to the setting would have been much nicer. Maybe not every one knows there is a setting or where to find that setting to make the change if we so desire. Instead our dear overlords decided to give an opt out option, or you could change the settings back later on.

I opted out. I figure there are sellers who already have that option turned on. Buyers can choose, and wonder why my shipping is higher. If they want what I have to sell, and the overall cost is reasonable they will buy from me. I guess I should be grateful that our dear overlords decided to include that option even though they seemed to want to hide the link. It is in the 3rd paragraph down within the first sentence click "let us know here".

I remember two of the reasons. 1) You use shipping to compensate for handling and shipping fees. 2) You do not always use ebay labels. 3) I forget the the third reason, and can not go back to see it 4) other

I'm sure they are collecting data on sellers shipping habits with this opt out form also.

Message 1 of 65
latest reply
64 REPLIES 64

Re: Why does Ebay want to change/decide everyone's calculated shipping settings?

I guess I'm just a little baffled on this issue. Just seems to keep popping up every few months. 

I opted out last year. Then maybe in February of this year, I had a purchase from a buyer. The shipping label cost did not match the size, weight, and dims for the destination.  I was like there is no way this package can even be shipped for this price. 

At that same time period, I read a post of a seller having to go back in and correct "re-select again" their selling fee policy. 

Reading this issue again is just frustrating. 

My understanding is that the seller gets a discount on the label because they are using their own ink, paper, and tape to secure that label to package ($$) in which saves the USPS ink, sticky label paper, and clerk labor cost time processing each package. 

It almost sound like eBay will enforce this reading some of the comments, but I'm not sold on that just yet. If they do, then they need to do something about their quarterly shipping supply discount shipping supplies prices. 

Message 61 of 65
latest reply

Re: Why does Ebay want to change/decide everyone's calculated shipping settings?

I'm glad I'm not the only one  that is   baffled .     I  believe   eBay shouldn't  be  butting   in  on  sellers  over shipping  ,since  eBay   isn't made up  of full time  retailers  ,since the business   model is set up  for just a venue   for  second market   and part time  hobby seller  .    It is  too bad  that  all Ceo's after  Meg W.   couldn't  see past the leaves  on the tree's   ,That  eBay  was  never meant  to be a controlled market  online  site   with any manage payments  or  even  dealing in new luxury  goods .    Ebay has  a  advantage  over  the other  online sites   that it has auctions   and   Motor's section  and their Seo's needed to wake up to that and  quite tryig to make site a cheap copy of amazon.

Message 62 of 65
latest reply

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

kayomi@ebay wrote:

@bossesale77 wrote:

I just tried opting out on my multiple eBay accounts (each one has a different email address/log-in) and after opting out on the first account I was told that the "survey" could only be taken once a day when I tried opting out on the other accounts. Does this mean that when I opted out on the first account that all my accounts were opted out or that I can only opt out on one account per day? If it's the latter then that's just idiotic.

Hi @bossesale77 , thank you for flagging this issue. When you opt out, you are opting out for just the account you are logged into when you take the survey. The survey has now been updated to accept more than one response per day. Please retry opting out and let us know if you have further issues. 

kayomi@ebay 

Hello Kayomi, Can you confirm if this will apply to ca sellers too. There has been nothing in the way of messaging  or a "survey" on the Canadian platform about being opted in and then needing to manually opt out. Discovered this discussion entirely by accident. With the number of current issues with eBay labels on ca this would be the last thing that we would need to figure out by accident. 

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies , to my knowledge, an email was sent to the impacted Canadian sellers. If you did not receive this email, then you will not be impacted by this!

Message 63 of 65
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

My understanding is that the seller gets a discount on the label because they are using their own ink, paper, and tape to secure that label to package ($$) in which saves the USPS ink, sticky label paper, and clerk labor cost time processing each package.

Sure... especially the labor time and cost at the front desk, as there is no labeling and no financial transaction to be done; that part was already completed on-line by you when you bought the label. I had three packages scanned in this morning, a brief chat about the weather, and I was still done in less than sixty seconds.

Imagine slogging through the process of buying postage at the counter (and paying more for that): the clerk has to type in the shipping address on his Point of Sale terminal, verify it with the customer ("Oh, isn't that the right ZIP code? Maybe I have the wrong street address..." 🙄), weigh and measure the package, print up a label, apply the label, scan its bar code for Acceptance... then turn to the next package, do that all over again, etc. No wonder the line is out the door at Christmastime...

Message 64 of 65
latest reply

kayomi@ebay wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

kayomi@ebay wrote:

@bossesale77 wrote:

I just tried opting out on my multiple eBay accounts (each one has a different email address/log-in) and after opting out on the first account I was told that the "survey" could only be taken once a day when I tried opting out on the other accounts. Does this mean that when I opted out on the first account that all my accounts were opted out or that I can only opt out on one account per day? If it's the latter then that's just idiotic.

Hi @bossesale77 , thank you for flagging this issue. When you opt out, you are opting out for just the account you are logged into when you take the survey. The survey has now been updated to accept more than one response per day. Please retry opting out and let us know if you have further issues. 

kayomi@ebay 

Hello Kayomi, Can you confirm if this will apply to ca sellers too. There has been nothing in the way of messaging  or a "survey" on the Canadian platform about being opted in and then needing to manually opt out. Discovered this discussion entirely by accident. With the number of current issues with eBay labels on ca this would be the last thing that we would need to figure out by accident. 

Thanks,

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Hi @lotzofuniquegoodies , to my knowledge, an email was sent to the impacted Canadian sellers. If you did not receive this email, then you will not be impacted by this!

kayomi@ebay 

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately eBay Canadian sellers are last to find out what is going on with impending changes and/or the speed they may or may not arrive and be implemented. Many sellers are still dreaming sleeping of the day when they too can offer buyers coupons like our US counterparts. 

-Lotzofuniquegoodies

Message 65 of 65
latest reply