cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are so many people so cheap these days?

I thought it was only at yard sales and on Craigslist that shoppers want everything for nothing.  I am findng the same mentality on eBay now.   I have been selling for about 10 years through various avenues and have never seen anything like this.  Have a brand new in package $175 quilt for sale on Craigslist (right now won't even think about listing it on eBay because of shipping costs) and am asking only $40.  Email I get yesterday only asks, "How low will you go?"  Really?  I know some people like this "game," but I am really tired of all the lowball offers.  

Message 1 of 225
latest reply
224 REPLIES 224

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

ersatz I always make sure I take those 59 cent thrift store price tags off my merchandise buyers tend to pop a cork if they paid a $100.00 and see you only paid 59 cents...

What could you possibly pick up at a thrift store for .59 and get $100 for?

Someone dropped the ball which is why I no longer donate to thrifts.  I refuse to bankroll ebay resellers.

You would be surprised what items you can pick up for 5.00 and under anywhere ..... and get 2-400 or more for easily.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

ersatz I always make sure I take those 59 cent thrift store price tags off my merchandise buyers tend to pop a cork if they paid a $100.00 and see you only paid 59 cents...

Someone dropped the ball which is why I no longer donate to thrifts.  I refuse to bankroll ebay resellers.

You would be surprised what items you can pick up for 5.00 and under anywhere ..... and get 2-400 or more for easily.

Then I fault the thrift store manager for not doing his or her job at maximizing profit for the poor rather than resellers.

Message 181 of 225
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@retrose1 wrote:

@u_cant_take_it_with_u wrote:

OMG....They are!  I do not understand it. My seller account is used to sell vintage, hard-to-find car restoration parts. Most of my [possible] bidders are so tight, I can almost *hear* them squeaking! They may feel their car is worth $60,000.00, but heaven-for-bid, they should have to spend $30.00 for some rare bobble for it. And all from the comfort on-line shopping! No driving for miles to swap meets, no gasoline fees, and no walking for miles, in the hot sun...Searching. I mean, for crying in the beer!  If they are THAT cheap... Do the math there. It never used to be like this, but now, selling on eBay sounds like a hatchery...Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!

And if they feel that their car is worth $60,000 they will get all bent out of shape if someone offered them $59,000 for it when they put it on the market.

I've dealt with hagglers and they usually feel that it is a privilege only they are entitled to. 

The resellers wanting to cash in on the profit you are willing to give away, not so much, but the basic haggler will want top dollar for their stuff when they list it.

Exactly. And those basic hagglers are the ones who chap my hide the most. My husband's step father is a basic haggler, God forbid he ever pay retail or the sellers asking price. He's a sheister. He will haggle and haggle and try to get things for practically nothing, he's a smooth talker. He'll smooth talk you into practically giving away your widget and then turn around and sell it for top dollar and if someone tries to haggle him, he gets offended! He's the worst! Smart at what he does but G-dang does he tick me off with his ways! Just the way he bad mouths the buyers who dared to offer him less when he is mr el cheapo king haggler! 

I'm sure he has been kicked out of a few places acting like that whether he cares to admit it or not and possibly had his backside kicked.

Message 182 of 225
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

I've found stuff for 99 cents right here on eBay that I've sold for as much as $250. What's so unbelievable about finding one in a thrift store?

Message 183 of 225
latest reply

I love the "How Low Will You Go" questions.  Let's all lower that Limbo Bar and "put da lime in da coconut..."

Of course, my question is, "How High Are You Willing To Go?"

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 184 of 225
latest reply

Same here - I found a women's jacket in the kids dept for $2.99 on 1/2 off day at SA - resold it here for $109.00. Sometimes - you just get really lucky!

Message 185 of 225
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

@sockmonkeydave wrote:

@coolections

@coolections wrote:

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Most buyers are stupid.

Wow. Thank goodness you can only talk about YOUR buyers. Mine are awesome.

Maybe it's something to do with how you set up your listings. You could maybe figure out why you're attracting so many stupid buyers.

Don't forget all buyers are not only stupid, but they are also all scammers. lol

There is a lot of stupid in the world,

like the kids who step out into traffic, with ear buds in.

Or the guy with the 60 grand BMW, who rides the rear of my 500 buck beater.

I think most people are good.... some are just not too bright.

Since you mention it, just yesterday a woman crossed a busy street in heavy traffic all while watching a video on her phone.  A car scraped another car dodging her when she just walked across the street without looking.  The scraped car completely understood that it was decision between hitting a car or a person.  She barely looked up when the cars collided...and kept on walking and watching her video.

Unfortunately, pretty soon that decision will be made differently by some if this keeps up.

Cheap? Or just plain smart

I collect those mini wire puzzles from the 1960s. On ebay someone is selling one for $23. I did a best offer with him and he would not take under $20 for 1.

On the other E I just found them at $1.01 each. I bought all 7 and with shipping it cost me $13.
Message 187 of 225
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

I love the "How Low Will You Go" questions.  Let's all lower that Limbo Bar and "put da lime in da coconut..."

Of course, my question is, "How High Are You Willing To Go?"

How low will I go? Snarkosaurus says, "Well I started the bidding at $9.99 so how about $9.99?"

Message 188 of 225
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Most buyers are stupid.

Maybe it's something to do with how you set up your listings. You could maybe figure out why you're attracting so many stupid buyers.

I can assure you as a prolific buyer here I do not fall into the stupid category and neither do my buyers.

Stupid buyers do not survive here or anywhere long before they go broke.

Smart ebay buyers usually become professional ebay scammers if they are so inclined. 

If you are not, then good for you.

(*Bleep*)
Message 189 of 225
latest reply

"moondog I collect money "

bubble...I also collect $$$, but I like to convert it into nice things to wear, and to eat, and to put in my garden. We are also dealers, but I am really a collector...I can't take it with me, especially not just cold hard cash, so I may as well have fun with it while I still can.

I don't think the nursing home will let me bring 4000 books.....
Message 190 of 225
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Most buyers are stupid.

I can assure you as a prolific buyer here I do not fall into the stupid category and neither do my buyers.

Stupid buyers do not survive here or anywhere long before they go broke.

Smart ebay buyers usually become professional ebay scammers if they are so inclined. 

If you are not, then good for you.

I believe my feedback speaks for itself.

I have been buying for 17 years and have bought some fine diamond jewelry I could only dream of in the real world.  But with anything you have to put in the time to do your daily searches and be willing to be near your computer when auctions end.

Message 191 of 225
latest reply

"What could you possibly pick up at a thrift store for .59 and get $100 for?"

A painting...a button (real diamonds), a rare book. They can't know about everything that comes in.
Message 192 of 225
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"What could you possibly pick up at a thrift store for .59 and get $100 for?"

A painting...a button (real diamonds), a rare book. They can't know about everything that comes in.

Then hire someone who does.  Or google it.

When this happens you are throwing away precious $$$s that could go a long way to help those in need.

Message 193 of 225
latest reply

"...If buyers can't afford the goods, they should move on and buy something else they can afford..."

Your approach to life is black and white but there is different shades of gray in the middle... if buyer can/try to get something for less ,who can blame him/her? Don't tell me that when you shop for a new car, you pay MSRP... and if you do, than...

Message 194 of 225
latest reply

"And if the seller is making you a deal, it is never a good idea to pay with a fifty for a $5 item when you have cried broke in your negotiations."

I had to laugh when I read that Rose...it happens to us ALL the time, esp early in the day when they are fresh from the ATM....haggle down down down and then pull out a hundred dollar bill.

What was almost funnier is the next day when we went to McDonald's and ordered off the dollar menu all we had left was that danged hundred! We'd spent all the smaller money... Did I feel stupid.

I also see or hear all the time "This is my last dollar" and then they are merrily off spending more. They think we don't see it.
Message 195 of 225
latest reply