cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Do Sellers Find Inventory

As an eBay seller and caretaker I found this article heartbreaking

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights/amp

Seriously? Companies that provide care to seniors own estate sale companies and are fighting in court for guardianship? This unconscionable.

The culprit in this story Caring Traditions. They operates throught the United States.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Where Do Sellers Find Inventory

That is absolutely horrible.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

Where Do Sellers Find Inventory

The easiest way to find items is from what I call the big 5 D’s

Death

Divorce

Downsizing

Debt

Drug Addiction

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. Thomas Edison
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Once upon a time, people respected their elders, and took them into their homes to help them out as they aged.  While it was hard work, and often they needed nursing or other assistance, they felt it was their duty.

It's so sad to see how many people try to take advantage of our elders nowadays 😞 

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

My folks passed away but when my mom was alone and in an apartment I took care of her and had the county come in to check on her as well. I was told of everything that the county did and was well informed. It would be hard to get away with that in this area of the country. Of course my mom was not a rich woman and most of her things she had were gone from sales she had. The family members kept the rest. 

That was a story of a crook, even in the beginnings of dementia my mom would have screamed at her to get out. She didn't let anybody push her around not even me. 

Dear God, please help me to be
the person my dog thinks I am.
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

That's sickening Smiley Sad  and extremely angering Smiley Mad  How can that even be legal??

This is exactly why the older I get, the less I have. Anything my children want, they get it NOW instead of after I'm old or dead.  Money, stuff, whatever.  I figure if I have nothing predators will just leave me alone.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 20 of 25
latest reply

I guess it's a fine line of not having too much so that the vultures will want to prey upon you but yet having enough so that you are (reasonably) well taken care of.

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

@estella5624 wrote:

As an eBay seller and caretaker I found this article heartbreaking

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights/amp

Seriously? Companies that provide care to seniors own estate sale companies and are fighting in court for guardianship? This unconscionable.

The culprit in this story Caring Traditions. They operates throught the United States.

this story makes no sense.

only read parts of it for somehow it is hard to read something like that could happened in a civilized/free country.

will have to read it in details later.

my first reaction was this is not legal "unless" a family member instigated the process.

seems the daughter was not aware of the situation?

how could this be?

i would be the daughter, i would not think twice about it and sue the .... out of these people and the Government.

clearly these people are preying on wealthy individuals.

it has nothing to do with legality or what is right or not.

if this was about the welfare of these elderly people (let's give them the benefit of the doubt) by such standard they would intern half the population in ABQ NM.

clearly in NM the state doesn't care about the welfare of people (not enough $ to steal).

i take the bus as a mean of travel and can tell you every day i shake my head.

there are days i have a hard to time to believe in live in the USA.

this story is clearly about money$.

i tell you i would be the daughter i would be infuriated.

not sure what i would be capable to do.

because the daughter is right, her parents have been kidnapped.

letoulousain
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

Companies like these have deep pockets and count on being able to outspend and outlast the "Regular Joe" when it comes to legal proceedings/lawsuits. I am sure there are plenty of "Better Call Saul" types of lawyers more than happy to help out these dishonest companies and get paid well for doing so.

Message 23 of 25
latest reply

@thecollegefund wrote:

Companies like these have deep pockets and count on being able to outspend and outlast the "Regular Joe" when it comes to legal proceedings/lawsuits. I am sure there are plenty of "Better Call Saul" types of lawyers more than happy to help out these dishonest companies and get paid well for doing so.

well you don't know me...

i can assure you that no matter how rich these companies are,

I PITY anyone doing that to my parents (against my will).

they are other means than $.

NO ONE and i tell you NO ONE, would touch a single hair on my parents head unless of course, going to a nursing home is "health wise" justified.

can assure you these companies wouldn't have enough $ to stop me.

letoulousain
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

@thecollegefund wrote:

If you drive a person too far the courts aren't going to save you from their wrath.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply