cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a buyer messages you and you don't appreciate the tone or verbiage

What do you do when a buyer sends multiple messages with questions/concerns that are clearly answered in the listing but you don't appreciate their tone or wording in the message? Do you

1) Politely answer each question and hope you make the sale

2) Ignore the messages

3) Ignore and block

The messages don't violate policy but can be seen as disrespectful and entitled.

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: When a buyer messages you and you don't appreciate the tone or verbiage

With the ebay listing page now so busy with irrelevant information and pictures of other listings - the description you wrote may be difficult to find.   I tend to try to politely answer one question, but not carry on a dialogue so I may ignore additional ones.   I don't block anyone for asking questions or expressing concerns.

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

What do you do when a buyer sends multiple messages with questions/concerns that are clearly answered in the listing but you don't appreciate their tone or wording in the message? Do you

1) Politely answer each question and hope you make the sale

2) Ignore the messages

3) Ignore and block

The messages don't violate policy but can be seen as disrespectful and entitled.

Without seeing their messages it's impossible to say. I've done all 3 in the past. Generally speaking, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and just answer their questions, BUT I'll find a way to point out they can find that info on their own.

Like explaining how on the mobile app you have to click to expand the full description and item specifics and if for some reason they can't see that info on either the app or the website to please send me a screenshot so I can get the tech issue reported to eBay.

Plus there was an issue this morning where buyers couldn't view descriptions because there was some kind of captcha loop within the description frame. You just never know why the buyer might be asking - if it's because of an eBay error, because they're lazy and didn't read, because they don't know they have to navigate past a load of sponsored ads to find the description, etc.

So like I said - impossible to answer the question about not liking their tone/wording without seeing the messages, but the typical questions about info already stated in descriptions I will answer even though it can get annoying.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 47 of 52
latest reply

3, ignore and block, for the win 

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

How about don't be such an emotionally crippled wuss?

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

Here is a small list of buyers that I block without responding:

#1 ones that display a misunderstanding of how ebay works

#2 complaining about shipping costs

#3 complaining about item price especially ones that reference stock x, price charter or what some other seller sold the same thing for. 

#4 asking about returns before they buy

#5 offers of less than half

#6 multiple messages before I can respond to a message that I normally would respond to

#7 asking measurements of t-shirts

#8 users that have left one or more negatives on their first 2 pages of feedback left

#9 users that send offers with conditions 

#10 any user that returns an item

#11 any user asks what is wrong with a parts or repair item. 

#12 NPBs

#13 users that ask questions about the item after paying

#14 users that show to me that they don't even know what the item is that they are asking a question about.  Like how did you even find this item if you don't know what it is? Where did you come from?

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

@chrometailpipe wrote:

How about don't be such an emotionally crippled wuss?

But that's exactly what my ebay store name is. It'd be false advertising if I weren't.

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

You could've saved yourself from all that typing and just say "all ebay buyers."

All buyers except me of course.

Message 52 of 52
latest reply