cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the heck happened to the return system?

Hi guys so dealing with returns is a part of business but lately whenever people wanted to return something ebay would already approved the return before I even have the chance to respond or do anything.

Before this I remembered that you have the option to offer full/partial refund right away, send them a return label, message the buyer for a solution or do nothing, now it's just not there.

Worst yet it seems like they got a return label/tracking the moment the return is started.....which is fine except I don't know who's footing the bill. My policy has always been buyer pay return shipping unless I mess up on something (I always make sure to pick buyer pays return shipping when listing something) . Just a hunch but it's another way ebay is subtlety making the seller footing the bill to appease the buyers.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: What the heck happened to the return system?

Are you talking about Returns or Refunds?
The buyer can always Return a purchase, if he pays for the return postage.

It's up to the seller to decide what to do then.

• My own thought would be, if the problem was my responsibility (poor packing leads to breakage or sent the blue one instead of the red one) I would refund the entire original payment, including shipping. If it is a Buyer Remorse situation, I would return the purchase price only.

If the buyer starts a Not As Described claim, eBay will usually tell us to send Return Shipping.

And you are willing to do that, but don't get the chance to do it voluntarily. That's worse than it sounds, because if eBay feels compelled to step in, you get a Defect.

I wonder if your "Buyer Pays Return" has something to do with it? Buyer Pays only is accepted by eBay if the return is for Buyer Remorse OR if the buyer is not in the USA, since purchasing foreign postage is a challenge.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Automated returns allows customer to return item for any reason.   Who pays for "return label" depends on reason customer used when opening the return.

If customer claims "not as described, defective, counterfeit" (sellers must pay all shipping) but if customer claims "buyer remorse (customer pays return shipping).

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Do you offer seller free returns on your listing?

If you offer seller free returns, it will auto approve and send a label unless you select the option "Give me the option to add a RMA (return authorization number) to each return label". 

Then your return will be approved, but you it will wait on you to send the label. 

If you do not offer seller free returns, you may have an automated policy activated for certain returns that you were unaware of. 

We offer seller free returns, so we use that RMA option, even though we actually do not assign a different RMA number, just so that we can read any return or request prior to any label being automatically sent. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Read the Terms of Service (a.k.a. User Agreement) User Agreement | eBay

Specifically, #13.  Additional Terms. Returns for Sellers / Returns for Buyers

Your answers are found there.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@pmg_distributors wrote:

@8492nylonworks wrote:

I always make sure to pick buyer pays return shipping when listing something.

Do you offer seller free returns on your listing? 

I read "I always make sure to pick buyer pays return shipping when listing" in the OP, what did you read?

Message 6 of 6
latest reply