cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's with all the Ordered by Mistake Cancellations...................

I have been selling on ebay for over 20 years, and could count on one hand all the buyer "ordered by mistake" cancellations prior to 2022.   This month I have had 5.    Is this an ebay glitch or just buyer indecision? 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I do not think it is just ebay.

I and one recently on amazon, buyer buys 3 of the same  widgets then a couple minutes later 2 more of the same previous widget.

2 weeks later return request "ordered the 2 widgets by mistake"

next day return request "ordered the 3 widgets by mistake."

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Fortunately, all the buyer cancellations this month have occurred before I have had time to ship.   And except for a book -  all the items have been vintage collectibles without identical items found on ebay.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Had 2 this month.  Minutes after buying.

Which is annoying as e-Bay shows a Buyer "similar" items as soon as they buy.  Except often, they are not.

Like you, just grateful had not shipped.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@katzrul15 

worst is right when you print the label for shipping and a minute later you get the cancel request

😠

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

Is this an ebay glitch . . . ? 

Exactly what kind of a "glitch" are you envisioning that would cause a buyer to cancel using "ordered by mistake?"

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that after buyers make a purchase, eBay immediately presents them with several options for the same item, usually at a lower price. They've done this for a while, but lately the items presented seem to be more targeted/specific.

I've also noticed that the items shown after checkout are much better than the sponsored items shown on pages when browsing/shopping. I've rigorously searched for the best price on bubble mailers, poly bags, etc., only to find the best option after I've paid for a different item. 

My best guess is that the requirement of all those item specifics has allowed eBay to suggest items more accurately. The part I don't understand is why they would decide to do this after someone has actually paid.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Have no clue - not an IT expert.   But  some ebay "glitches" in the past have been a result of IT testing or changes. 

And the buyer could have not realized that they ordered the item. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

They are liars.  Buyer indecision, questioning funds, just plain annoying....   I tend to block them once they cancel something they bought.  I don't the grief.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Could just be hard for some to resist that big almost erogenous buy button ?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

They seem to run in streaks I've noticed.  I almost never get them & I had 3 in a 1 week period, haven't had another one since & that was months ago.  I'm probably due 😐

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Money is tight. Lot's of buyer remorse.

I hope you are reporting these buyers so they get  non-paying bidder strike and can no longer do this to others.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Recently i had 2 figures get canceled 5 times each. Different buyers, different numbers of feedback, different offers/prices, different reasons, paid/unpaid. 

Both Spiderman 2007 figures, no clue what makes people to cancel so often. Other figure from the same year got canceled as well once i think.

Both sad and funny when that happens.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

The part I don't understand is why they would decide to do this after someone has actually paid.

I don't understand that either.

I want to see all the option before, not just the ones Ebay wants to show me.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@dariudaudery_0 wrote:

Recently i had 2 figures get canceled 5 times each. Different buyers, different numbers of feedback, different offers/prices, different reasons, paid/unpaid. 

Both Spiderman 2007 figures, no clue what makes people to cancel so often. Other figure from the same year got canceled as well once i think.

Both sad and funny when that happens.

Ebay probably shows them other items, they can receive in a few days, and not have to wait two months.

Have a great day
Message 15 of 18
latest reply