cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point of best offer...

When you auto-decline almost anything short of a dollar or two of the selling price?

I use best offer all the time on my listings. In fact, I intentionally price them a bit high(not unreasonably so) with the expectation of getting offers. That's just a bit of a habit left over from physical sales at trade shows and the like-many buyers, at least in the fields where I deal, like the feeling of "winning over" the seller with their price and negotiating is part of the game.

In any case, I use the auto accept and auto decline options any time I out up a listing. It depends on the price of the item, but a general range for me is to set an auto-accept price at 5-10% below the BIN and auto-decline at 40-50%. I consider the middle range "negoting territory" where I will weigh things like quantity in a multiple listing, my trading history with the buyer, if they're interested in other listings at the same time, or whatever. Sometimes I take the offer and sometimes I counter, or if they look like a problem buyer it gives me a chance to decline and block 🙂

I know every seller has their own policies, but sometimes best offer listings just baffle me. A little while ago I was looking at BIN listing for a camera lens. It's a somewhat desireable and collectible lens, but there are plenty of them on Ebay at any given time. Just for reference, this isn't a new, mass market item-it's 40 years old and no longer sold new, so it's a situation of there being no standardized reference for prices. It had a BIN of $239(plus shipping)-a price that is a BIT high for the condition to me and not a price where I'd buy this example, but considering that it was a best offer listing I thought I'd be able to negotiate a price that made me happy.

I first shot off $215, which I thought was a BIT low but not out of line, and expected that I'd probably get a counter. Instead, I got an auto-decline. I then upped it to $225, and again got an auto-decline. Finally, I just tried my absolute top dollar price($230), and was again rewarded with an auto-decline. 

That's fine-I'll look for either a better condition or less expensive example. And yes, it's only $10, but still that price was pushing it for where I was comfortable.

None the less, though, I don't think that for a best offer listing, $10 off a $250 item(with shipping), or 4% off, is an unreasonable offer to make. So, it makes me wonder-why even put up "best offer" if you're going to set to auto-decline offers that are a tiny bit smaller than your asking price? If they'd just put a BIN w/o best offer, I'd have probably just passed on the listing.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: What's the point of best offer...

Interesting.  I've played with the best offer thing quite a bit and look at it differently.  Don't bother with the auto decline (I view it as kinda rude).  One never knows a buyer's mentality when purchasing a buy-it-now item.  I've had more buyers NOT make an offer and just buy the item at full price.  And that's the part I find interesting.  I think (not sure) that some buyers see that Make Offer button and because they want the item they think someone else may be making an offer and they're gonna lose it, so they rush and hit Buy-It-Now.  Just one theory.  Perhaps it's immediate gratification of buying the item, as opposed to waiting for a reply, OR that they simply don't know about the Make Offer option?  In any event, I like getting offers, whether I have to decline or not.  I did NOT know eBay was forcing it on sellers ... very interesting.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Re: What's the point of best offer...

@ben_hutcherson

I use BO when I have margin on an item to play with.

I do not use auto decline... ebay gives no notice when it happens.

You only see it if you look at your item offer history.

Nothing like saying... dang that was a good offer.

And when you get an offer, you can check out the buyer.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply