cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "show original title"?

I ended a listing and then created a new listing via sell similar. On the new listing page the listing title is followed with "-show original title". When mouse hovering over it it displays "Original text, the exact same title". I then edited the listing title and "-show original title" is still there it displays "Original text, the updated title". 

I've never seen this before. Does anyone know its purpose?

"What do we live for, if it's not to make life less difficult for each other?" — G Eliot
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: What is "show original title"?

Is there an update or Fix for this issue yet?  Still happening.  Also will not allow me to revise my titles.  Thanks

Message 31 of 51
latest reply

Thanks for the update devon@ebay but it sounds like some people are still having trouble getting help from customer support.

Message 32 of 51
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Thanks for the update devon@ebay but it sounds like some people are still having trouble getting help from customer support.

Hye @valueaddedresource! I would still recommend that members reach back out to customer support and let them know that they are running into that alert and they are needing to be added to the ticket. 

Devon,
eBay
Message 33 of 51
latest reply

As stated, I did that already, and the rep was clueless.  They did not know anything about the issue, nor did they know what to do with the code you asked me to provide to them.  What exactly should I say to them?  I tried to describe what was happening, and it was like speaking to someone who knew English words, but had no sense of how they fit together to form ideas.  At one point, they thought the code you gave was some sort of coupon code.  I have no means to communicate with someone on that level.  Some suggestions on EXACTLY what to say would be appreciated.

Message 34 of 51
latest reply

Make sure everyone gives them the correct code. It is ALERT14069, not ALRET14069. It appears Devon accidentally made a typo when providing it. All eBay site-wide issues start with ALERT, the support member stated. So it is Alert # 14069. Hope this helps everyone report and add their user ID to the ticket.

Message 35 of 51
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Hey all. I am having the very same issue, as of a few minutes ago. I created a brand new listing, revised the title a few minutes later because of a minor mistake, and now my listing is

A: Still showing the original, flawed title
B: Displaying hover text beneath the title that says "Show original title"

"Show original title", funnily enough, is showing me what the title is SUPPOSED to be. What I tried to change it to.

I am also completely unable to find my listing using the search feature, regardless of which title keywords I try. What's going on? This is my first time using the "promote" feature on a listing; did that trigger this? Did anyone else here attempt to promote their listings before having this issue?

Message 36 of 51
latest reply

It is doing that to us too. Bizarre that it's only for certain listings. Like the newly created ones. Any of the older listings we have that we change, it does not affect or show that glitch.

Message 37 of 51
latest reply

That was my first thought, will see if it disappears after an update.

Message 38 of 51
latest reply

What is worse - the eBay app (I'm using Android version) shows the ORIGINAL title before it being updated, with NO OPTION to 'view original title' which is the actual correct, most recent edited version.  This is totally confusing to buyers, and degrades trust in the listing.  And as we all know a large majority of sales occur on mobile.  Completely amateur implementation of a 'feature', untested across the platform.

Message 39 of 51
latest reply

Anyone have the issue fixed yet?

Message 40 of 51
latest reply

Looks like it's still on the list of ongoing technical issues.

devon@ebay  any updates?

Message 41 of 51
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Looks like it's still on the list of ongoing technical issues.

devon@ebay  any updates?

Hey @valueaddedresource! It looks like there is still an open ticket for this issue. Once there is an update for the status we will be sure to update our tech board for members to see! 

Devon,
eBay
Message 42 of 51
latest reply

So does this "Aggravate Sellers", I mean "show original title" feature serve any meaningful purpose?

Currently the "feature" serves to show my correct title while showing the incorrect title in the listing display (and preventing any updates to correct the title). 

After 20 years on eBay, I have learned to help myself and not rely on eBay support. I am guessing it is time to delete the listing and see if sell similar will let me correctly enter my listing title.

WOW! Selling Similar corrected my listing for me! eBay replaced my current title and the "show original title" with the "show original title" from my deleted listing. The bad title is gone.

Not sure if eBay or I know what the purpose of "that" was or what or why it happened, but thanks eBay for fixing "MY" problem with changing my title??? Did that really do what eBay wanted? I don't understand, but thanks anyways?!? 🙄

---

Why is this thread marked as solved?

Message 43 of 51
latest reply

Ugghh, this is happening to me too, on practically all of my listings.  Thing is, every time I hover over the 'show original title', it just shows my actual title, which is confusing & worthless & I suspect buyers will think it's a virus, kind of like the weird changes to Feedback.   

devon@ebay  How can I get added to the list?    I looked at the Tech Issues board & can't see anywhere to add myself.   There's no way I'm calling & speaking to someone who can't speak English & won't be able to even understand what I'm asking.  My time is way too valuable for that nonesense. 

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 44 of 51
latest reply

@simply-the-best-for-you wrote:

Ugghh, this is happening to me too, on practically all of my listings.  Thing is, every time I hover over the 'show original title', it just shows my actual title, which is confusing & worthless & I suspect buyers will think it's a virus, kind of like the weird changes to Feedback.   

devon@ebay  How can I get added to the list?    I looked at the Tech Issues board & can't see anywhere to add myself.   There's no way I'm calling & speaking to someone who can't speak English & won't be able to even understand what I'm asking.  My time is way too valuable for that nonesense. 

Hey @simply-the-best-for-you! For any tech issues that are posted in the board and you may be running into normally you would have to reach out to customer support. That can be done via chat, phones, or our social media channels. I will go ahead and have you added to the ticket for this one so you will not need to reach out! 

Devon,
eBay
Message 45 of 51
latest reply