cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens to the shipping charges on a "100%" charity" sale?

Does Paypal forward just the item total, and the seller retains the sales charge to cover shipping?

eBay's FAQ on Charity Selling does not address this.  They talk about the "sale price", but I have no idea if this includes the shipping charge.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What happens to the shipping charges on a "100%" charity" sale?

@mam98031 wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

You get billed periodically for your charity contribution. It's not immediately after each sale. So for instance if you sold an item $20 + $5 shipping and donate 100% of it to charity, that $25 minus listing and final value fees will sit in your Paypal for a given amount of time. You use that to pay your shipping etc.

Ebay will invoice your account and it will be attached to your monthly bill. How you pay that is up to you.

Oh btw, the percentage you choose to contribute is also taken away from the shipping you charge the buyer. So in the example I give you, ebay will charge you for $25 minus ebay fees for the charity contribution (and not $20). Ebay tells us to adjust our shipping or item prices accordingly to compensate for this.

When did that change????  It's been awhile since I've used the program, but it was always based on the product price ONLY, not the shipping.  If it is working the way you are saying, then sellers would have to mark their shipping way up to cover the percentage they were giving to charity.  That doesn't sound like something Ebay would want us to do.  And if you were contributing 100%, then the seller would have to come out of pocket for the shipping because Ebay intends on giving it all to the charity.

Now you have me very confused.

OH there are no FVFs on charity contributions.  So if it is a listing with 100% going to charity that is registered with Ebay, there is no FVF on the sale.

I recently started using this program again and read up on the policy just as you did. It didn't mention shipping, so I asked eBay. Here is a screenshot of my question and answer.

9c5078a2-a791-48cd-b923-5cba72d34c92.jpg25ea2011-987e-4684-8c84-d4999d4a294d.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You get billed periodically for your charity contribution. It's not immediately after each sale. So for instance if you sold an item $20 + $5 shipping and donate 100% of it to charity, that $25 minus listing and final value fees will sit in your Paypal for a given amount of time. You use that to pay your shipping etc.

Ebay will invoice your account and it will be attached to your monthly bill. How you pay that is up to you.

Oh btw, the percentage you choose to contribute is also taken away from the shipping you charge the buyer. So in the example I give you, ebay will charge you for $25 minus ebay fees for the charity contribution (and not $20). Ebay tells us to adjust our shipping or item prices accordingly to compensate for this.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

When did that change????  It's been awhile since I've used the program, but it was always based on the product price ONLY, not the shipping.  If it is working the way you are saying, then sellers would have to mark their shipping way up to cover the percentage they were giving to charity.  That doesn't sound like something Ebay would want us to do.  And if you were contributing 100%, then the seller would have to come out of pocket for the shipping because Ebay intends on giving it all to the charity.

OH there are no FVFs on charity contributions.  So if it is a listing with 100% going to charity that is registered with Ebay, there is no FVF on the sale.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Fees and fee credits for charity listings

Sellers pay standard insertion and final value fees for eBay for Charity listings. However, when your item sells, you’ll receive a fee credit for the insertion fee and final value fee that is prorated to the percentage of the final sales price that you have chosen to donate. For example, if you donate 30% of the final sales price to your chosen charity, you’ll receive a credit for 30% of the combined insertion and final value fees charged. Listing upgrade fees and PayPal fees still apply and do not qualify for credit.

https://www.ebay.com/help/donating-ebay-charity/default/buying-selling-ebay-benefit-nonprofit-organi...

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Here is more information.

https://www.charity.ebay.com/help/seller

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

I recently started using this program again and read up on the policy just as you did. It didn't mention shipping, so I asked eBay. Here is a screenshot of my question and answer.

9c5078a2-a791-48cd-b923-5cba72d34c92.jpg25ea2011-987e-4684-8c84-d4999d4a294d.jpg

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for checking and sharing.  Not what I wanted to hear though.  Guess I will have to rethink my 100%...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This is from Managed Payments. It looks to me that only

sellers (who are not in Managed Payments) can select the
eBay for Charity option.

1.jpg

Payments Terms of Use

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@yanquita wrote:

Thanks for checking and sharing.  Not what I wanted to hear though.  Guess I will have to rethink my 100%...

Also rethink using the program at all.  What you donate isn't what the charity receives.  They keep a processing fee.  So make sure you consider that.  I find it is much better for the charity for me to directly donate and I just keep track for my taxes.  Sure it is nice to have the listing labeled on Ebay and the such, but my goal is to give to the charity, so that is what I do.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply