cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does "1 people have this in their cart" mean?

Today is the first time I have seen this on one of my listings. I chatted with Ebay and they said it was a new feature but not sure what it means (besides the obvious). Do buyers typically add items to their cart before hitting the BIN key? I had thought about lowering price and sending an offer to my one watcher but wondering if I should just wait now. Curious as to any of your experiences. Thanks.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: What does "1 people have this in their cart" mean?

@te478019 wrote:

means a buyer has an item in their cart.

@te478019 

Correct, and until they buy it the notification is meaningless.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 31 of 43
latest reply

Thank you but I checked an active listing that we just lowered the price before relisting, and it doesn't have that link.

"revisions made to your listing" - Revision to me means changing something on an active listing - That's not what I want to see. I want to know older prices and when we lowered them.

Message 32 of 43
latest reply

@a-lotta-stuff 

I am sorry I misunderstood your question. I have never looked for the information you are seeking, so I am not sure if it is even available once a listing is ended and relisted.

You can try going to Seller Hub>Listings>Ended and use the dropdown list under All statuses to make an applicable selection and check prices. Note: The lookback period is a maximum of 90 days.

Screenshot 2024-05-22 152319.jpg

Message 33 of 43
latest reply

I see no difference in this message than "Watchers" list compiled.  

Eigher way, someone has simply 'tagged' an item.  Confusing as to

the objective.  

Message 34 of 43
latest reply

If you just revised it and changed the price, I haven't found a way to see the previous prices.  We started noting them in the description, but obviously not everyone will want to do that (and we've stopped, mostly, since we started using Promotions to lower prices instead of doing it manually as our inventory grew).

Message 35 of 43
latest reply

I have 80 USED items in my cart. I can assure you that over half those items will be in my cart a year from now if I do not purchase them. I have been shopping on ebay for over 20 years and I have a good idea of these things. Ebay has a notice on every single item in my cart-80 items- that "One other person has this in their cart" I am not a fool ..there is no way that is true!! In addition I just put an item in my cart that has recently been listed by a friend who I shop with. Guess what it said as soon as I put it into my cart? "One other person has this in their cart"  This is Impossible as it was just listed and no one would want it but me anyways!! The feature is a good idea to boost sales but if they are going to put this notice on every item you have in your cart... I will ignore it as it is not even true!!

Message 36 of 43
latest reply

I don't know if this is a record, but I viewed an item that 276 people had in their cart. Item was a tool by a top name brand and had been deeply discounted to just under $100.

Seller had multiples of the item, and at the time about 25 had sold. It was a good deal, but hard to say what motivated so many people to add it to their cart and not complete checkout. It was clear that the price was already at a liquidation level and was not going to be reduced further. I suppose some people were waiting for payday, or still comparison shopping, or had other reasons. But 276 is a crazy number. If eBay is trying to create buyer urgency, it didn't seem to work exactly as planned in this case 

Message 37 of 43
latest reply

@lux.ra_14 wrote:

I don't know if this is a record, but I viewed an item that 276 people had in their cart. Item was a tool by a top name brand and had been deeply discounted to just under $100.

Seller had multiples of the item, and at the time about 25 had sold. It was a good deal, but hard to say what motivated so many people to add it to their cart and not complete checkout. It was clear that the price was already at a liquidation level and was not going to be reduced further. I suppose some people were waiting for payday, or still comparison shopping, or had other reasons. But 276 is a crazy number. If eBay is trying to create buyer urgency, it didn't seem to work exactly as planned in this case 

@lux.ra_14 

Another site tells you something is in a cart and to send an offer to help seal the deal ... since I can't see the other member's cart I have no idea if it is true or not.  My thought of course is, "then buy the darn thing!"

Keep in mind venues want to get their fees when a sale happens so nothing is off the table in their pursuit of that. 

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 38 of 43
latest reply

I'm a buyer and today is the first time I seen this too. I didn't buy over 10 pre owned things because someone else wants to buy them (at some point in time), one item said 5 other people have this in cart. I guess there is no settings on ebay where I could turn that notification off 😕

Message 39 of 43
latest reply

Wait, why did that make you not buy the items?  Just guilt?  It's not like reaching into an actual shopping cart and grabbing things, LOL.  

Message 40 of 43
latest reply

Just wanting to be kind to the very few that are waiting for their paydays, however if I come across the same items a month later I'll buy them then 😉

Message 41 of 43
latest reply

Here's something you may not be aware of.  An increasing number of (newer) online merchants have done away with the "favorites" "watchlist" or "wishlist" type feature, and have only a shopping cart.  The fact is, they are basically the same thing, a place where shoppers can "store" a bunch of things they may want to buy immediately (together with other items, in one lump sum) .... or ..... maybe buy some other day .... or ..... maybe not at all, because they don't really want it, or they find a better deal on it somewhere else, etc.  

Temu is one example: they have only a shopping cart, no "favorite" or "watch" page type feature.  -I have items in my Temu shopping cart that I put there MONTHS ago.  Sometimes I'm looking at them and decide to delete some because I really will never buy them; others I let linger because I may want them someday and they're not hurting anything. 

Now yes, eBay has both a shopping cart and a Watched Items feature.  But the reason I bring up the cart-only websites is, it is highly likely that more shoppers are just using their shopping carts for watching items, even on sites like this one.  

It's no skin off my neck if you want to assume all those items are "off limits" just because they're in carts, but I just thought I would let you know, it's not a sure thing that you would be robbing someone else of an item they really want to buy on payday, in fact it could just sit in their cart forever, along with dozens of other things, and they're not even thinking about it.  Also bear in mind, they're not kidneys or insulin, right?  😉

Message 42 of 43
latest reply

Well I did buy one item that someone had in their cart for at least 3 days because it's a very good deal, I only put my first reply here because I'm hoping ebay will give us shoppers options for pc like set default search to stay in USA only and the option to hide the 1 people have this in their cart 🙂

Message 43 of 43
latest reply