cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Would U Do: Unpaid Incident Report filed + Item relisted w/ many bids + Buyer pays after 8 day

Need advice from the community.

Background:  

• I'm not new to selling on ebay but I sell basically stuff like electronics when I decide to upgrade.
  • In my 100+ transactions, I've never had an issue until now.
  • Listed an electronic item that sold Thurs 9/7.  
  • My ad requested immediate payment via PayPal.
  • Sent mulitple ebay mssgs to buyer (2 reviews only) seeking payment with no repsonse from buyer.
  • I opened up a non payment claim (my first time ever doing this) on 9/9 & was told the UPI Assistant  would be deployed 9/11.
  • I tried relisting my item on 9/11 but system wouldn't let me.  
  • Befuddled - I listed the item as another item I had for sale.

Currently

• My newly listed item has multiple bids from highly reviewed veteran ebayers
  • Then I woke up today & see that the original buyer has paid me & the UPI assistant has closed out the UPI.

What to do?

• The original buyer didn't answer any of my requests
  • I don't want to cancel my current auction with <2 days to go & dissapoint bidders
  • I want to refund original buyer & move on but system won't let me cancel order
  • Have read too many cancel orders are a black ball on sellers.  I have cancelled 2 times on this auction - 1 through a bidder's request & 1 because of a mistake with listing info.
  • Afraid I will get bad marks from original buyer & ebay.
  • What can I do?

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

What Would U Do: Unpaid Incident Report filed + Item relisted w/ many bids + Buyer pays after 8 day

Cancel your current listing and sell to the original buyer. Never relist until the uid is complete

seems to me you know the answer but don't like it. You're looking for people who will support you breaking the rules

Message 2 of 53
latest reply

No I was trying to see if there are other options for me to get advice for remediation or arbitration on this situation - since this was my first UPI I ever filed.
But hey if you like to sit on dead money for 8 days - with no response & then reward bidders who waste your time.

Message 3 of 53
latest reply

I don't get non paying bidders.

uids can be filed and closed in six days. Sitting on it for 8 was your choice. Close out a sale before you start another or you will be sitting in this position. 

Message 4 of 53
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

uids can be filed and closed in six days. Sitting on it for 8 was your choice. Close out a sale before you start another or you will be sitting in this position. 

Apparently - the UPI assistant was just confusing enough for me NOT to know when things started & end by themselves.

Of course - it's not the ebay I used to know since I do about 1 -2 sales a year & never had this come up.

But I guess even 6 days of dead money is ok for you.

Message 5 of 53
latest reply

batvu wrote: ... I opened up a non payment claim ... on 9/9 & was told the UPI Assistant  would be deployed 9/11.....  I woke up today & see that the original buyer has paid me ....

That's not how it works.  An unpaid item claim is opened either manually or by the unpaid item claim Assistant.  If you opened it manually, then it had to be closed manually, which can be done if the buyer doesn't pay within 4 full days.  So you could have closed it on Sept 13.

As you have seen, it was a mistake to relist the item before you closed out the previous transaction.  Now you must ship the item to your paying buyer, and end the auction that is still active.  Canceling the paid-for transaction will put a defect point on your account; ending an auction early will not.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-item-assistant.html

Message 6 of 53
latest reply

There was absolutely no reason for you to "sit on dead money for 8 days".

You had the opportunity to open the UPI after 48 hours of no payment & then close as unpaid after a further 96 hours BEFORE relishing. 

Learn how to manage your sales & buyers. 

The Site Map, the Seller Information Center & Help & Contact have ALL the information any seller needs PRIOR to listing their first item. 

You should cancel the bids & end the listing & ship to the buyer who paid.

Message 7 of 53
latest reply

batvu wrote:
@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

Apparently - the UPI assistant was just confusing enough for me NOT to know when things started & end by themselves.

Of course - it's not the ebay I used to know since I do about 1 -2 sales a year & never had this come up.

But I guess even 6 days of dead money is ok for you.

It's not an option, 6 days is what it takes. If you cancel the first sale you will get defects. If you can live with that go for it. Just hope another one doesn't come back to back, you account may be in jeopardy. The right thing is to sell to the first buyer.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 53
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

batvu wrote: ... I opened up a non payment claim ... on 9/9 & was told the UPI Assistant  would be deployed 9/11.....  I woke up today & see that the original buyer has paid me ....

That's not how it works.  An unpaid item claim is opened either manually or by the unpaid item claim Assistant.  If you opened it manually, then it had to be closed manually, which can be done if the buyer doesn't pay within 4 full days.  So you could have closed it on Sept 13.

As you have seen, it was a mistake to relist the item before you closed out the previous transaction.  Now you must ship the item to your paying buyer, and end the auction that is still active.  Canceling the paid-for transaction will put a defect point on your account; ending an auction early will not.

Thank you for this explanation.  

Like I stated, I was not aware there were 2 options (manual & auto)  for an upaid item.

I just called ebay support & they help me refund the money to the original bidder.

& they have no way to see if I manually  turned on the UPI - as must have been the case - that's why it wasn't closed in the 6 days after by the UPI assistant.

That said, the support representative said  thye have refunded my final value fees & that it basically shows up as a refund for the item for not paying immediately as requested - so no defect.

Really, I dont sell enough to keep up with all the changes with ebay.

So this has been very educational.

Message 9 of 53
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

It's not an option, 6 days is what it takes. If you cancel the first sale you will get defects. If you can live with that go for it. Just hope another one doesn't come back to back, you account may be in jeopardy. The right thing is to sell to the first buyer.

It is an option as you can  manually DON'T end the UPI on the 6th day & keep it open manually as I apparently did.

The right thing was for the orignal buyer to not take 8 days to pay & respond to my inquiries.

Message 10 of 53
latest reply

@batvu wrote:

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Thank you for this explanation.  

Like I stated, I was not aware there were 2 options (manual & auto)  for an upaid item.

I just called ebay support & they help me refund the money to the original bidder.

& they have no way to see if I manually  turned on the UPI - as must have been the case - that's why it wasn't closed in the 6 days after by the UPI assistant.

That said, the support representative said  thye have refunded my final value fees & that it basically shows up as a refund for the item for not paying immediately as requested - so no defect.

Really, I dont sell enough to keep up with all the changes with ebay.

So this has been very educational.

I wouldn't trust there will be no defect. And yes if you have to open it manually you close it manually 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 11 of 53
latest reply

I too am a small seller. 

I still made myself familiar with the basics & when I had my first Non Payer  I immediately looked at the Site Map to learn how to deal with it. 

The one time I have asked for help on the boards I thanked those who offered it...even those who were blunt like me.

I have read quite clearly the title of your  OP, your replies to members & the misinformation you received from CS.

I have not read where you advised your PAYING BUYER of your decision to refund along with an apology for doing so & how you plan to deal with any negative feedback. 

Perhaps you'll be back & use the same first 4 words in the title of your OP & then you will be able to reply in a like manner when you don't like the answers.

Message 12 of 53
latest reply

@batvu wrote:

They lied. eBay doesn't recognize that as a valid reason for cancelling, and no customer service rep can make that defect go away. What CSRs do is tell you exactly what you want to hear, to keep their call duration average down.

Since you rarely sell, and this is the second time you've cancelled a sale of this item without a buyer's request, you're skating on extremely thin ice.

Message 13 of 53
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@batvu wrote:

They lied. eBay doesn't recognize that as a valid reason for cancelling, and no customer service rep can make that defect go away. What CSRs do is tell you exactly what you want to hear, to keep their call duration average down.

Since you rarely sell, and this is the second time you've cancelled a sale of this item without a buyer's request, you're skating on extremely thin ice.

Correction for you on this item:

@1st time was  a bid @  another's buyer's request.  

2nd time there was no cancellation because system didn't allow me becuase the item was paid on  the UPI incident.

So no cancelllation period.

Message 14 of 53
latest reply

@batvu wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@batvu wrote:

Correction for you on this item:

@1st time was  a bid @  another's buyer's request.  

2nd time there was no cancellation because system didn't allow me becuase the item was paid on  the UPI incident.

So no cancelllation period.

You said:

"I have cancelled 2 times on this auction - 1 through a bidder's request & 1 because of a mistake with listing info."

So that's one. The late payer is #2, unless you really believe that CSR has magical powers.

Message 15 of 53
latest reply