cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weirdest purchase ever!

OK guys, hear me out......I am alwas in my garage scanning lots of media, DVDs, CDs, Blurays, etc.  and because I tend to misplace my phone I stick it into my pocket every time after scanning. I have found it to be still on when I pull it out to scan, and so forth. So, last Saturday I was scanning when I noticed a notification. Thinking I had sold an item I go to check and there it was..........I had bought a Bluray worth $6+!  Now, I am like...what? I don't buy Blurays, I sell them! So, after scratching my head how I could have bought a Bluray while my phone was in my pocket I went to cancel the purchase, and an Ebay notification came that "it was too late". Then, the buyer doesn't accept returns.

Not happy about it, minutes later I sent him a message stating the facts and that I didn't want it. Waited for a while, nothing! A notification came this afternoon that it was shipped.  Am I a slave or what? I happen to have "bought" an item that I don't want-need, but the seller can do whatever, not even responding my message about cancelation. Minutes later! 

How on earth I could buy an item on Ebay while my phone is in my pocket? 🤣😂🤣🤣🤣

Was I hacked? 😒

latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Weirdest purchase ever!

yes, I would have went ahead and brought it too.  what's $6 plus bucks? doesn't even buy fast food anymore I don't think?

even when I order the wrong items myself and realize it after they show up, I keep/resell it myself, leave good feedback and never bother the seller about it being wrong or try to ship it back. my fault, I'll pay but most people these days are not brought up like that anymore.

now if I brought that $7 million jet but dialing then I might beg forgiveness from the seller. 

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

I got this year alone 2 requests from buyers after purchasing an item. They did it within minutes. I had to cancel the transactions because I can't force anybody to pay me for whatever they don't want, and I don't want to spend $ on the shipping charges for the return. 

We all know that no matter the story, Ebay will side with the buyer. And we will lose $ in that endeavor. 

latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

If we as sellers are not responding valid questions from our buyers, we deserve not to be selling anything on Ebay. Period! 

@escuintla 

The seller responded... it just wasn't the response you wanted to hear. "Shipped" is a response to a cancellation request.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

No. That's why I can't find explanation for the purchase. Usually, I scan an item, and the list comes up with the prices. I check for prior selling prices to find out if it's worth it to list it. So, if an item I didn't look at is punched by whatever in my body, it has to be paid for by me. That requires more than one punching. 

So, weird that an item I never looked at was purchased by my but-t. 🤣

latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

@the-hook-and-the-loop  "When it arrives, open a return. The seller will pay for shipping both ways for not responding to you"

That is not correct. The Seller is NOT required to ship both ways for 'Not Responding' to a Buyer nor for not 'approving a cancellation' as neither are required.

The seller does NOT pay shipping to 'return' unless a 'Not As Described' is opened; which is NOT the case and since the Seller does NOT take returns; the Buyer will just need to keep it/sell it unless the seller 'approves' the return. 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

@escuintla wrote:

The seller doesn't accept returns. 

When it arrives, open a return. The seller will pay for shipping both ways for not responding to you. 

Um @the-hook-and-the-loop did you read the OP?

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

When it arrives, open a return. The seller will pay for shipping both ways for not responding to you.

Sellers are not required to respond or cancel orders.

Have a great day.
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

"So, weird that an item I never looked at was purchased by my but-t."

@escuintla 

The better story to tell (after this is behind you... no pun intended) is that the phone was in your front pocket. 😁

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

How is this a solution? This is an "ordered by mistake" situation and the seller is under no obligation to accept a return because the listing has a no returns policy, not free returns. If the OP decides to force the situation and claim SNAD just because they don't want it, that would be buyer abuse of the MBG, not to mention downright scummy.

It was a $6 mistake. Own it. Resell or donate the DVD if it's unwanted.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

No. Seller never responded. 48 hours passed by, shipping notification is not an answer to a "please don't send it, I didn't buy it, etc". I wouldn't be in the business if I didn't hear my customers, the shipping returns expenses would eat my lunch. 

I just got a brand new, sealed cassette being sent back. I lost $6.38 right there.  

latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

@blingfling123 wrote:

The real question is, what response would you have as a seller if you had a sale and a buyer gave you the same story and wanted to cancel a purchase?

Hopefully they would graciously accept the request and cancel it. Its a foolish seller who attempts to force a sale on a buyer who has already stated that they did not want to go through with the transaction... Lots of bad things can happen.

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

It $6 +ship, just pay for it and resell it 

I understand it was a mistake, but it was your mistake and not the sellers

I totally the misplacing phone part I feel for you

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

So, shall Ebay eliminate the "contact the seller-buyer" thingy? 

I am OK with not backing out from a transaction if the mistake wasn't notified. But come on! We are talking about a matter of minutes, an hour from "purchasing" to the message stating that the item is not wanted or ordered by mistake, etc. 

The messages between seller and buyer are visible to Ebay. They will know who the culprit is here. 

The clue here as you stated is "wanted".  

latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

I'm not defending the seller here. I always cancel orders at buyer request if I haven't shipped yet. But ... eBay has no policy that requires sellers to cancel. So the seller didn't do anything wrong. Bad CS? Sure. But against policy? Nope. If you decide to file SNAD that will be against policy.

There's a button on the side of my phone. I click that before I put it in my pocket. Every time. It avoids situations like the one you found yourself in. Look at it this way: $6 is a cheap price to pay to learn a lesson. Mistakes happen, just move on from it.

There is no "culprit" in this situation. You made an error. The seller declined the cancellation request within their rights. So now you get a DVD. Sell it or donate it, but don't file a false claim.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Weirdest purchase ever!

Personally, just like you, when someone requests to cancel, I do it.  Don't care what the reason is, or no reason at all.  Costs me nothing but a minute of my time.

Some sellers just don't get it.

Would be nice if eBay was like many other sites where there is a grace period for buyers where they can actually cancel rather than "requesting to cancel", but for whatever reason, as others post all the time, eBay does not work that way.

I have no clue what is behind the "eBay logic"  for the cancel policy.  Closest they have come to allowing a cancel is blocking a non-payment strike if an official "cancel request" is placed within that "golden hour", and the buyer does not pay.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply