cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird sorting in my listings suddenly when sorting by ending latest

I have my listings sorted by ending soonest & ending latest. When sorting by ending latest, why would a listing I put up today show up as ending BEFORE the listings I posted yesterday? Did ebay’s 30 day listing duration shorten overnight? Is there a glitch? Thank you.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The duration for "Good until canceled" listings used to be 30 days.  But now, listings will refresh on the same date each month.  However,  February has only 29 days so it's not possible for a listing that started on January 30 or 31 to end on the same date.  Thus, all of your listings that start on January 29, 30, and 31 will roll over on February 29.  A listing that started at noon on January 29 will roll over at noon on February 29.  A listing that started at 9 AM on January 30 will roll over at 9 AM on February 29.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

The duration for "Good until canceled" listings used to be 30 days.  But now, listings will refresh on the same date each month.  However,  February has only 29 days so it's not possible for a listing that started on January 30 or 31 to end on the same date.  Thus, all of your listings that start on January 29, 30, and 31 will roll over on February 29.  A listing that started at noon on January 29 will roll over at noon on February 29.  A listing that started at 9 AM on January 30 will roll over at 9 AM on February 29.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Wow. Thank you.

Un. Real. As I’ve said before: this is the most bizarre outwardly grabby vendor I have ever ever ever worked with. That should give their profits a boost as the forced GTC kicks in 3 days earlier than I’m betting a lot of sellers don’t know is coming.

‘Nuff said. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Actually, the change to "roll over on the same date" has the opposite intent. It was done in response to clamoring from sellers after universal GTC was implemented.

When listings were rolling over every 30 days, they would gradually move earlier and earlier each month until finally they would roll over on the 1st day of a 31-day month, and having TWO insertions for those listings was causing a lot of extra insertion fees.  Having same-date rollover eliminates the risk of having a listing's insertion charged twice in one calendar month.   Sellers should know it's coming since this system has been in place since July 1:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Yep. Add more layers and complications when all they had to do was give us the option of GTC or no GTC as before. That they responded to our pushback by making it more weird instead of rolling back to give us the option is a real head scratcher. Again, bizarro....

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

eBay makes many weird rules and decisions, but IMHO "rolls over on the same date very month instead of very 30 days" isn't one of them.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I got an extra day in December '19 , October '19, and August '19. I'm good with the February '20   1 day shortfall. 

Now next year I am going to scream when it is a 2 day money grab.

Oh wait, no I won't, as I will have 365 days of listings for my money rather than the 360 days (12 X 30) under the previous method, and as nobodys pointed out, I wont get any double listing months.  :  >  )

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Why not just give us the option to NOT have them roll over? That’s my point. And its my fault for not reading the seller update where they announced changing it from 30 days to same date. Glad I posted this to find out now rather than later, so I can adjust accordingly.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

For those of us who do NOT like forced GTC (not all sellers are the same with the same situations, etc), this is just another annoying adjustment we have to make to accommodate forced GTC. Again, they could, instead, just give us the opt out. They had it before, they can have it again.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

True, they could, but they have stated many time the reason for doing it, and many times that they have no plans to change the current GTC policy.

We have to live with it, making the best of it, and adjust how we take care of our business.  I frequently end items that I do not want to automatically relist for whatever reason.  Easier for some to do, than for others.

Mandatory GTC is approaching the 1 year mark. Like it, or not we will need to adjust to the policies of the owner of the sandbox if we want to play in it.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

So what happens in March? In your example, will the listing continue to roll over on the 29th, or will it revert back and roll over on th 30th of each month (obviously besides feb)?

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

True, they could, but they have stated many time the reason for doing it, and many times that they have no plans to change the current GTC policy.

We have to live with it, making the best of it, and adjust how we take care of our business.  I frequently end items that I do not want to automatically relist for whatever reason.  Easier for some to do, than for others.

Mandatory GTC is approaching the 1 year mark. Like it, or not we will need to adjust to the policies of the owner of the sandbox if we want to play in it.

Yes, they stated the reasons why it might be good for some, but that doesn't mean it still could have been an option.

The only reason for it is that ebay can flood the google searches - so much that people will start EXCLUDING ebay in their search.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:

@nobody*s_perfect wrote: ...  A listing that started at noon on January 29 will roll over at noon on February 29.  A listing that started at 9 AM on January 30 will roll over at 9 AM on February 29.

So what happens in March? In your example, will the listing continue to roll over on the 29th, or will it revert back and roll over on th 30th of each month (obviously besides feb)?

A listing that started on January 30  will roll over on the 30th of every month except February.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply